Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Leicester City loan man Neil Danns is aiming to be Bolton Wanderers' shooting star

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Danns was back in the scoring groove at Doncaster in midweek and hopes the visit of Barnsley tomorrow will be an omen for another goal.

The Liverpudlian netted the winner in the reverse fixture on Boxing Day, his third in four games in a profitable December.

But the opener at the Keepmoat Stadium on Tuesday, which came after Chung-Yong Lee unselfishly stepped over Alan Hutton’s cross, was his first since his Oakwell strike.

Danns, who has netted five times in 31 Wanderers appearances, admits he wants to score more from midfield and after wasting a late chance to double his Doncaster tally in stoppage time, he has been putting in extra shooting practice in training ahead of the Tykes’ visit this weekend.

He said: “It was great to get back on the scoresheet on Tuesday after a good move.

“The quality Chungy has got, he knows when someone else is in a better position.

“He left it for me, I connected with it and thankfully it went in.

“But I came off the pitch feeling like we had lost the game because of that shank at the end.

“That’s just the way I am.

“That shot is still playing on my mind.

“I was in two minds because the defender had blocked the angle (to Jermaine Beckford). I got close enough so I just thought ‘hit the target’.

“I probably went for too much power instead of slotting it.

“I have put goals in from that angle before. It’s a miss and I can’t dwell on it.

“Players miss chances but thankfully we were 2-1 up and we saw the game out.

“If we hadn’t got three points then I am sure no one would have spoken to me on the way home.

“But I can say now I will be doing shooting practice for Saturday.

“Hopefully, I can get a few more goals before the end of the season.”

Danns’ early strike at Doncaster set the tone for the Whites to secure a second successive victory against Yorkshire opposition after their last-gasp win at Huddersfield four days earlier.

They have an opportunity to make it a hat-trick of Roses’ triumphs tomorrow and Danns believes Wanderers have every chance if they start on the front foot like they did in midweek.

He added: “We started the game with a good tempo and could have been on for a big scoreline.

“A wonder free kick gave them a lift that they needed at that time because it seemed as though we would go on and score three, four, maybe five.

“Doncaster have had some good results of late and beaten some of the top sides like QPR, so it was always going to be a difficult game.

“Credit to them for sticking at their game but the three points is the main thing and we got them.

“Now we want to do the same back at the Reebok against Barnsley.

“We want to give the fans something to cheer about.”

When Danns scored in the first meeting against Barnsley, it was his last goal before returning to parent club Leicester City at the end of his first loan spell.

A second switch was quickly agreed and while the Foxes have since gone on to clinch promotion to the Premier League, the 31-year-old is perfectly happy with his current lot at Wanderers, despite the mid-table position.

And he wants the team to continue their recent good run right to the end of the season and finish their own campaign on a high.

Danns said: “I think I would be welcome back at Leicester for any promotion party but I am happy at Bolton.

“We are gutted we are not challenging for the play-offs and that the season is coming to an end because we seem to be picking up points left, right and centre.

“But we have got to end the season with some good results and take it on to next season.

“It's definitely not a case of ‘we are safe’ and everyone goes into holiday mode.

“We are working on what we can be doing for next season. Every single game we are improving.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum