Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Write about a Bolton game in the good old days that you fondly remember

+12
Sluffy
luckyPeterpiper
wanderlust
BoltonTillIDie
carrs
Norpig
scottjames30
Boggersbelief
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
Michael Bolton
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Supporting Bolton nowadays is just depressing. There is nothing fun, enjoyable, exciting about supporting Bolton any more, which is why I don't. I am a Chelsea fan through and through now. 
But I loved Bolton for many years, from 1992 to about 2007 I was probably Bolton's biggest fan and have so many good memories of past games.
So in this time of deep depression for Bolton fans, lets reminisce over past games that we were happy with.

My first game is WBA 2-3 Bolton in September 1998. It was Ricardo Gardner's debut, he scored coming off the bench. Bergson got sent off in the game and I think Blake and Gunnlaugson put us 2-0 up early on before Kevin Kilbane inspired WBA back to 2-2 before Gardner scored a breakaway goal. I remember being out on a sesh in Durham that day, it was a fantastic happy day, and the Bolton team at the time looked bloody brilliant. We had Blake, Gunnlaugson, Gudjohnson, Frandsen, Jensen, Gardner, Johansen, Sellars, etc. Jesus that team would absolutely wipe the floor with the current one.

I hope others will write about games from the past that they remember fondly. Maybe you were at the game followed by a sesh or you just remember loving the game?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So many to choose from but one of my favourites will always be coming back to draw 2-2 at Burnley with 9 men after Nicky Spooner had his leg broken.

There was passion on and off the pitch in those days.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:So many to choose from but one of my favourites will always be coming back to draw 2-2 at Burnley with 9 men after Nicky Spooner had his leg broken.

There was passion on and off the pitch in those days.

I think I remember that game. I think Alan Stubbs may have scored in it?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I can't remember who scored our first goal, McGinlay I think, but Simon Coleman definitely got the equaliser on his debut.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My favourite game was first leg of the playoffs semis in 99 against Ipswich Michael Johansen scored a cracker, atmosphere was incredible. 

after we lost in the final I remember ripping up a poster of Neil Cox in a rage.  Laughing  Laughing

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I can't believe how tedious it's become watching Bolton.

I knew the glory days under Allardyce weren't gonna last forever but the last seven or so years have been torture. We were so highly respected under Allardyce, and now we're just pitiful from top to bottom. Crap chairman, crap manager, mysterious owner, constant negativity from the stands and in the dressing room.

I can't remember the last time I was completely thrilled by a Bolton match like I was that day at Ewood in 03/04. Just beating Blackburn felt good enough in them days, but to come back from 3-1 down. I've never celebrated a goal like that one by Stelios or Nolan. I know they both scored, can't remember which was the winner.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Hipster_Nebula wrote:My favourite game was first leg of the playoffs semis in 99 against Ipswich Michael Johansen scored a cracker, atmosphere was incredible. 

after we lost in the final I remember ripping up a poster of Neil Cox in a rage.  Laughing  Laughing

I remember watching that game in the pub. It was a good day! But yes losing the play off final really hurt. 

Anyone remember the win at Hull, I think it was McGinlay on a friday Spring evening when we got promoted from what is now League 1 to the Championship. I remember a huge pitch invasion. It looked one hell of a game to be at.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:

Anyone remember the win at Hull, I think it was McGinlay on a friday Spring evening when we got promoted from what is now League 1 to the Championship. I remember a huge pitch invasion. It looked one hell of a game to be at.

I ran on the pitch when McGinlay scored, got grounded for 2 weeks because of it.

I was there and it was fanfuckintastic.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

doffcocker wrote:I can't believe how tedious it's become watching Bolton.

I knew the glory days under Allardyce weren't gonna last forever but the last seven or so years have been torture. We were so highly respected under Allardyce, and now we're just pitiful from top to bottom. Crap chairman, crap manager, mysterious owner, constant negativity from the stands and in the dressing room.

I can't remember the last time I was completely thrilled by a Bolton match like I was that day at Ewood in 03/04. Just beating Blackburn felt good enough in them days, but to come back from 3-1 down. I've never celebrated a goal like that one by Stelios or Nolan. I know they both scored, can't remember which was the winner.

Yes watching Bolton is just sad nowadays. I feel sorry for the young Bolton fans who have only experienced times under Lee, Mugson (see what I did there?), Coyle and Freedman. Just dire. There are no players who you would pay more than 30p to want to watch play. Bolton have no players who any club would pay money for. It is grim. It really may be best for Bolton to get a few relegations in and really start from scratch again.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Michael Bolton wrote:

I ran on the pitch when McGinlay scored, got grounded for 2 weeks because of it.

Grounded for being happy?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:

Grounded for being happy?

No, for legging it away from my Dad when he'd told me to stay close to him. I was only about 11.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
No, for legging it away from my Dad when he'd told me to stay close to him. I was only about 11.
 Laughing

Breadman wrote:I was there and it was fanfuckintastic.

That was a great season. I remember a match at Preston when we were 2-0 down. Scott Green scored to make it 2-1, then Stubbs hit a free kick that nearly snapped the crossbar on it's way in. Happy days.

Team spirit and belief (Google 'em, Dougie, you might learn something) get you a long way.

Back during the "White Hot" years, I used to go to Burnden or Anfield or Goodison or Highbury and honestly believe that we were in with a great chance of winning the game.

When we were on our game back then, we were honestly a match for anybody and I would have backed us against Brazil or a FIFA Allstars XI - Honestly, I'm not joking. That was how it felt.

And we were in the third division back then, don't forget.

I agree with MB about feeling sorry for younger fans who've never experienced that feeling.

It was a very, very special time to be a Bolton fan.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

the cup game at Highbury is my favourite game, i only got a ticket on the morning of the game from a mate so it was all a bit last minute.
The game had everything, we came back from 1-0 down and Andy Walker came back from his long injury and scored the third. The Zico had a perfectly good free kick disallowed which would have made it 4-1, happy days indeed!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:the cup game at Highbury is my favourite game, i only got a ticket on the morning of the game from a mate so it was all a bit last minute.
The game had everything, we came back from 1-0 down and Andy Walker came back from his long injury and scored the third. The Zico had a perfectly good free kick disallowed which would have made it 4-1, happy days indeed!

Norpig you bellend, has time eroded your brain cells?

We were 1-0 up thanks to John McGinlay, not 1-0 down.

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

Although we didn't come out winners. The great team who battled Everton to lose out to that dastardly Bob Latchford.

Proper football non any of this so called modern era money based stuff. A pleasure to have a season ticket win lose or draw. Ian Greaves Super White army.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Norpig wrote:the cup game at Highbury is my favourite game, i only got a ticket on the morning of the game from a mate so it was all a bit last minute.

Norpig you bellend, has time eroded your brain cells?

We were 1-0 up thanks to John McGinlay, not 1-0 down.

yes sorry Nat i am indeed a bellend and yes all those years of doing recreational drugs as a youngster have indeed played havoc with my brain cells and memory  Very Happy

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum