Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time?

+3
scottjames30
White84
Natasha Whittam
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What is the point of having a youth system?

Today we've signed Max Clifford, another young player who will no doubt disappear into the development squad black hole at some point. We could have signed Rob Earnshaw for nothing and been guaranteed a few goals right now.

In recent weeks the club have let a handful of development players leave the club, deemed not good enough despite Dougie claiming they would all be the next Ronaldo upon their arrival. How much does it cost to run the various youth and development teams? Probably millions.

Why not just ditch them all right now and use the money saved to poach players from other clubs. In this day and age, how many young players actually come through the ranks at any club? When was the last time any youngster came through the BWFC ranks and cemented his place in the 1st team? Nicky Hunt? It all seems a bit pointless to me.

Last edited by Natasha Whittam on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:42 pm

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Max Clifford thought he was serving eight years for sex offences.

3Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:50 pm

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:What is the point of having a youth system?

I think that it just gives some people something to do.

4Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:56 pm

We'd never have been graced with Nicky Hunt without our youth system.

Food for thought.

5Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:57 pm

It's probably a tax fiddle of some sort.

6Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:59 pm

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think its made up, we haven't even got a youth system.

*Edited* by White84.

7Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:We'd never have been graced with Nicky Hunt without our youth system.

Food for thought.

True, but that legend was 10 years ago.

8Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:12 am

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:We're currently trying to lure the unwanted and unwashed for free or short-term loan deals (Trotter, Dervite, Moxey). Running the bath and looking for a razor blade.

9Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:40 am

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I'd beg to differ regarding Okocha,Djorkaeff,Campo were all free transfer not to sure about a Campo but think we didn't pay anything for him.
The demise started when Garslime refused BSA the funds to take us in to the CL.
Allardyce left as his ambition was higher than the clubs.
Megson bought shit players and there lay the demise big signings big wages.
The youth Policy is the way to go under the FFP rules but we had great success under BSA policy of capturing stars.i
I watched the 2004 match v Leeds where Djorkaeff played Leeds off the park class is class maybe he wasn't as fast as a younger player but BSA was successfull and we made a profit in 2006 and were only £29 million in debt with the ground being paid at the same time a ground We BWFC own.

10Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:21 am

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Someone once told me that the Academy costs something in the region of £2.5 million a year to run but I'm not sure if that's right. I'd have thought it would have been more to cover the wage bills of all the players and staff, transport, kit and contribution to venue and facilities etc. but it would depend on how it's been accounted.
If we were a premiership team we'd need to produce just 1 player per annum who would make it into the first team squad (ideally) or sell one or two to cover costs. But as a Championship team where average transfer fees are a fraction of the cost, we need to produce several to make it worthwhile.

Over the last twp years Dougie has brought Threlkeld, White and Kellett into contention and Eaves, Odelusi, Vela and Riley are sort of "on trial" - or in the shop window.

Iliev, Sellers, Clough etc are starting to get a sniff but the reality is that our entire youth policy is under enormous pressure to start producing players after years of being under no pressure whatsoever.

In many ways the youth development policy represents as big a change as that imposed on the first team by austerity as we have to get new blood from somewhere and we can no longer just buy it in.

There have been some failed experiments like Bastos and the lad from Southampton but at least they had every opportunity to prove themselves and their future without us was sorted out quickly instead of dragging on - at our expense - for years as used to happen.

So far the youth policy has done OK under Dougie's tenure - no more than that - but it will need to keep producing and quality will have to improve.

Right now the BWFC youth policy is a bit of a gamble as it assumes we will survive in the Championship and is perhaps our only affordable way of improving our lot in the near future, but at least the signs are there to show that it's being taken very seriously and that youth players are being thoroughly tested rather than being left to hang around for years.

11Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:38 am

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

Right now the BWFC youth policy is a bit of a gamble as it assumes we will survive in the Championship and is perhaps our only affordable way of improving our lot in the near future, but at least the signs are there to show that it's being taken very seriously and that youth players are being thoroughly tested rather than being left to hang around for years.

We had injury problems at right back, but instead of giving White more game time he tried to sign Greg Halford, and when that backfired Freedman played a fucking left back at right back.

You're dreaming if you think this youth system is being tested.

12Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:39 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

We had injury problems at right back, but instead of giving White more game time he tried to sign Greg Halford, and when that backfired Freedman played a fucking left back at right back.
Threlkeld and White have both had a chance at RB. Threlkeld looked OK but got dominated last time out.
White showed promise but in a flat back four got caught out so has now been shipped out to Carlisle.

I tend to agree that taking kids out of the firing line after they've been bossed in one game is harsh. Perhaps if we were comfortable in mid-table, the manager would be more inclined to throw them straight back into the fire?

13Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

I tend to agree that taking kids out of the firing line after they've been bossed in one game is harsh. Perhaps if we were comfortable in mid-table, the manager would be more inclined to throw them straight back into the fire?

You're just making excuses for the manager.

Either he shuts the fuck up about this so-called youth system or he backs his words up with actions.

The problem with Dougie is he doesn't ever seem to think ahead, he literally takes each game as it comes, hence people never getting a run of games and a chance to shine.

14Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:31 am

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:What is the point of having a youth system?
Dunno. Do we have one?

15Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:03 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

You're just making excuses for the manager.

Either he shuts the fuck up about this so-called youth system or he backs his words up with actions.

The problem with Dougie is he doesn't ever seem to think ahead, he literally takes each game as it comes, hence people never getting a run of games and a chance to shine.
In this instance I'm just trying to understand why the manager thinks that "protecting" the young players after a bad experience is required. As mentioned elsewhere I'd put them back on the horse and tell them not to fall off again rather than drop them from the team.
But, Dougie knows them and sees them every day in training so I have to trust his judgment - despite not liking it. 

But a separate and related point is this:
Dougie has had a fair bit of abuse for "not playing the youngsters enough" - this thread is another example - and yet he's used them a lot more than his predecessors did. Surely it would do him no harm to play the youngsters at every available opportunity? He would certainly get an easier ride in the press if he did.

Presumably he realises this and still doesn't play the youngsters so much so they must be really crap if Dougie is passing over a surefire way to soften supporters feelings towards him?

Or maybe he's just a man of principle who always puts out what he believes to be the team with the best chance of winning on the day.

16Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Empty Re: Is A Youth Policy A Waste Of Time? Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:00 pm

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Even experienced players sometimes need a run of games in the side to get up to speed.  So the young players do need a good run and that's all there is to it.  After that if they are not good enough then fair play. Riley is a good example ..... came on for one game looked very good....then had a so-so game or two then injured...never been seen since.  Is he any good?  I have no idea...and we are not likely to find out either.  Doogie thinks they are not good enough but do we trust his judgement?  

Of course it's not just us who can't see talent in our own ranks.... Gary Cahill .... not good enough for Villa.....now playing for England and in Euro cup finals.....wonder what the Villa fans say about that. Sturidge couldn't get a look in at Chelski when they desperately needed a goalscorer now they would have to pay more than for that donkey Torres to get him back..... why because he wasn't a big enough name at the time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum