Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lennon urges caution despite impressive display

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

NEIL Lennon praised a premier performance from Wanderers in his first home game in charge but urged his players to stay grounded.

Despite the plaudits pouring his way, the Whites boss is determined to focus on the immediate task at hand – taking the club out of the relegation zone – before setting his sights any higher.

Victory over Brentford was played out in a memorable atmosphere at the Macron and made it two wins out of three for the new manager.

But with bigger challenges to come, Lennon is not getting carried away with the impressive start he has made.

“There are no targets, not just yet,” he told The Bolton News. “First of all we need to get out of the bottom three.

“We have got two huge games coming up in Norwich and Cardiff who were Premier League teams last year, so I am optimistic but cautiously so because things can change very quickly in this league.

“From what I have seen this week the players want to express themselves, and more than that, we have got some very good footballers.

“They can really play – Spearing, Danns, Pratley, Mills, Dervite, Chungy – they are good footballers and there’s more to come from Jermaine and Mason, no question.”

After Neil Danns and Mark Davies scored two stunning goals to give Wanderers a 2-0 lead, Brentford’s Jon Toral halved the deficit to ensure a tense finale, only settled in the 96th minute when Craig Davies scored a breakaway goal from close to half way after Bees keeper David Button had come up for a corner.

Lennon praised the big striker’s hard work since his arrival.

“Craig Davies came in on Wednesday to train by himself, to practice,” he revealed. “He works so hard at his game and he scored a great goal. It might have looked an easy finish but, trust me, it wasn’t and it eased everyone’s nerves.

“It was a great way to finish the game but we thoroughly deserved it.”

Lennon also thanked supporters for their backing and hopes Saturday will be the first of many unforgettable days at the Macron Stadium.

“It was a great reception,” he said. “You're always wary about how it's going to go because you don't want it to be flat afterwards so to get the win and see what it meant to them afterwards was fantastic.
“The noise was everything I could ask for and even in the anxious moments they stayed with the team and that was very, very important.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/11560202.Neil_Lennon_urges_caution_despite_impressive_display/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum