Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Zach Clough will lose no sleep ahead of Liverpool FA Cup clash

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ice cool Zach Clough won’t lose a moment’s sleep worrying whether his double strike against Wolves has landed him a starting spot against Liverpool in the FA Cup in midweek.

After bagging his first two league goals for Wanderers, it was business as usual for the 19-year-old who popped back down the motorway, stopping off for a cup of tea at his Nan’s on the way back home.

Clough’s goal-scoring exploits come as no surprise to those who monitored his progress through the Whites’ youth ranks in the last few years.

But with the cameras descending on the Macron on Wednesday night, it could be the ideal stage for the Denton-born youngster to announce himself to the watching world.

Not that he’s particularly concerned about the prospect of facing Steven Gerrard, Daniel Sturridge, Raheem Sterling and Co.

“I won’t lose any sleep,” he told The Bolton News. “What a game it’s going to be – I’ve worked hard to get that sort of moment.

“I’ve been popping goals in for a long time. I’ve been here since I was eight years old, and worked under some great coaches.

“Being involved in a game live on Match of the Day would be a dream come true. The whole nation will be watching.

“But I don’t really feel nervous I just take it in my stride. I won’t have a sleepless night if the boss tells me on Tuesday I’m playing on Wednesday. I can’t wait.”

Clough may only have two first-team games under his belt but he has already been bestowed one honour – a Twitter parody account.

His fan club is certainly multiplying too. And little wonder after his incredible introduction to first-team football under Neil Lennon.

“Every time I play football I enjoy myself when I walk on the pitch,” he said. “Three goals in two games has been a great start but hopefully it will be 10 goals in 10 games. I just have to keep going and working hard.

“I think the winning goal against Wigan still counts as my favourite moment but today runs it close.”

When Clough scored on his debut against Wigan a few weeks ago, his Nan, Mavis, surprised BBC Radio Manchester by calling in to express her pride.

Within a few hours she was trending on Twitter after getting a name-check on Match of the Day.

No doubt she was bubbling with excitement yet again on Saturday evening – and Clough hopes her radio appearances can be a regular thing because it means he’ll be doing well.

“I think she’ll ring in again later,” he said. “She was happy on my debut and will be happy again today.

“Last time I was in the car on the way home and I heard Mavis come on the radio and I thought, ‘that’s my nan’.

“She was very emotional so I decided to go round and see her on the way home and got a big hug.

“All my family are big fans but she might be the biggest. They’re all very proud of me.”

Clough watched the first FA Cup game at Anfield on the TV with his family but hopes it will be his shirt that is the prized possession when the Reds come to town again on Wednesday night.

“I’d certainly go after a shirt whether I’m playing or not,” he admitted. “Being a City fan, I’d probably go for Mario Balotelli’s.

“But I always love scoring goals and that is what I’ll be aiming to do if I get the chance. If I played I’d aim to be man of the match. I‘m that confident.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum