Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dave Mackay

+2
scottjames30
MartinBWFC
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dave Mackay  Empty Dave Mackay Tue Mar 03 2015, 17:52

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Died today aged 80, can't say I ever saw him play, but heard he was a right hard bugger, RIP Dave.

2Dave Mackay  Empty Re: Dave Mackay Tue Mar 03 2015, 18:00

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I thought this thread was about to state Malky and Dave Whelan get married.

3Dave Mackay  Empty Re: Dave Mackay Tue Mar 03 2015, 18:03

scottjames30 wrote:I thought this thread was about to say Malky marrying Dave Whelan.

No you didn't.

Stop making the 'I thought this thread was about to say....' you've killed it off now.

4Dave Mackay  Empty Re: Dave Mackay Tue Mar 03 2015, 18:04

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If you say so, you know best.

5Dave Mackay  Empty Re: Dave Mackay Tue Mar 03 2015, 18:05

Correct, never forget that.

6Dave Mackay  Empty Re: Dave Mackay Tue Mar 03 2015, 18:09

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

MartinBWFC wrote:Died today aged 80, can't say I ever saw him play, but heard he was a right hard bugger, RIP Dave.

Exactly as you put it. Great leader and a great character by all accounts.
Didn't realise he was that old but Choppers era so obvious really.

7Dave Mackay  Empty Re: Dave Mackay Tue Mar 03 2015, 19:08

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

MartinBWFC wrote:Died today aged 80, can't say I ever saw him play, but heard he was a right hard bugger, RIP Dave.

One of my favourite footy pictures of all time -

Dave Mackay  9583628-large

I was brought up in an era of 'hard' men - Norman 'bite your legs' Hunter, 'Chopper' Harris, Tommy Smith, Peter Storey (jailed later for amongst other things keeping a brothel!) but my dad used to tell me they were nothing - big ponses playing in carpet slippers!

Well Dave McKay was probably the last of these 'real men' left and I only saw him long after his prime when as an old man (in football terms back then) he had been rescued from the footballing scrap heap by some upstart young manager, managing Derby County of all places.

Well the young man was Brian Clough and the man he made his captain was still a great leader of men and put fear into the opposition.

The man McKay has round the throat was the self proclaimed hard man of the era and the captain of 'dirty Leeds' as they were known for a very good reason - Billy Bremner.

The picture showed McKay was fearless and there was only going to be one winner if it came to a battle.  (McKay was playing for Spurs that day - before his future transfer to Clough and Taylor at Derby - note a young Terry Venables in the background).

No other man ever put the shit up Bremner - but old man McKay did that day.

RIP big man.

Last edited by Sluffy on Tue Mar 03 2015, 19:16; edited 1 time in total

8Dave Mackay  Empty Re: Dave Mackay Tue Mar 03 2015, 19:15

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:

One of my favourite footy pictures of all time -

Dave Mackay  9583628-large

I was brought up in an era of 'hard' men - Norman 'bite your legs' Hunter, 'Chopper' Harris, Tommy Smith, Peter Storey (jailed later for amongst other things keeping a brothel!) but my dad used to tell me they were nothing - big ponses playing in carpet slippers!

Well Dave McKay was probably the last of these 'real men' left and I only saw him long after his prime when as an old man (in football terms back then) he had been rescued from the footballing scrap heap by some upstart young manager, managing Derby County of all places.

Well the young man was Brian Clough and the man he made his captain was still a great leader of men and put fear into the opposition.

The man McKay has round the throat was the self proclaimed hard man of the era and the captain of 'dirty Leeds' as they were known for a very good reason - Billy Bremner.

The picture showed McKay was fearless and there was only going to be one winner if it came to a battle.  (McKay was playing for Spurs that day - before his future transfer to Clough and Tayloe at Derby).

No other man ever put the shit up Bremner - but old man McKay did that day.

RIP big man.
Good endorsement that Sluffers, and that picture speaks a thousand words, BRemner looks to be shitting himself.

9Dave Mackay  Empty Re: Dave Mackay Tue Mar 03 2015, 19:16

Seen that picture loads but only just noticed that it's El Tel in the background.

10Dave Mackay  Empty Re: Dave Mackay Tue Mar 03 2015, 19:19

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

scottjames30 wrote:I thought this thread was about to state Malky and Dave Whelan get married.
Speaks volumes about the reply, gay thoughts about a RIP thread, get out of that closet.

11Dave Mackay  Empty Re: Dave Mackay Wed Mar 04 2015, 19:25

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Didn't Mackay take over Brian clough after he resigned at Derby?

I don't know much about the guy but I remember the name more so from ''The Damned United''.

RIP Dave

12Dave Mackay  Empty Re: Dave Mackay Wed Mar 04 2015, 23:20

Jake McHale

Jake McHale
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

king of the hardmen and a nice bloke.

13Dave Mackay  Empty Re: Dave Mackay Thu Mar 05 2015, 00:03

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

aaron_bwfc wrote:Didn't Mackay take over Brian clough after he resigned at Derby?

I don't know much about the guy but I remember the name more so from ''The Damned United''.

RIP Dave

Yes, you are right Aaron - well remembered.

He won the title with them too.

I'd forgotten all about that until you mentioned it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum