Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scotland Euro dream could keep Barry Bannan at Bolton next season

+6
Boggersbelief
xmiles
boltonbonce
Norpig
aaron_bwfc
karlypants
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barry Bannan is willing to wait a little longer before finding out if he has passed his Wanderers audition.

A rare highlight in the dull draw against Blackpool and a driving force behind a stunning second half at Cardiff, the Scot is certainly closing the final act of the season with some strong performances.

But Whites fans are desperate to know if he will make his final bow against Birmingham on May 2, or whether the dynamic midfielder will be back for an encore next season.

Neil Lennon has praised Bannan highly in the last two games, suggesting the thought of signing the 25-year-old permanently has crossed his mind.

Any deal, however, is likely to rest on the goodwill at Crystal Palace – now clear of relegation trouble and looking to invest in Alan Pardew’s own transfer targets this summer.

Bannan is keeping his head down for now, revelling in regular football which was somewhat of a rarity at Selhurst Park under Neil Warnock, Tony Pulis and now Pardew.

“I came here to play games and I’ve played a lot in the last couple of months and I am really enjoying it,” he said.

“Everybody has been brilliant and it’s been great to get that bit of stability and get some regular game-time under my belt.

“Come the end of the year, if I have impressed, then I would like to see what happens. I can’t say at the minute.

“I can only concentrate on the games here, getting the club up the table and then we’ll see what happens in the summer.”

The quest for regular football has taken Bannan on four other loan spells in his career but with the European Championships on the horizon next summer, he may well relish the chance of laying down some roots.

The Scotland international has remained a firm favourite of Tartan Army boss Gordon Strachan and provided a timely spark in last week’s 6-1 home win against Gibraltar with a second-half appearance off the bench.

That win leaves Scotland third in their group, level on points with Germany and one behind unbeaten Poland, at the halfway stage.

“It’s a good group – it’s probably one of the hardest groups looking at them,” Bannan reflected in Wanderers' programme.

“Ours is really competitive with all the rivalries and added context too.

“Anyone can beat anyone on their day, though, as teams have already shown and we’ve played a lot of hard games so far.

“We travelled to Poland and got a point, it should have been three, while we lost away at Germany when we should have got something there.

“It was tough against them but it was unbelievable playing against the world champions.

“To think they were the best in the world at the time and we took them so close – it was a great achievement. It makes you want more because you think you can beat them.

“It was great to be out there, pitting ourselves against the best, and seeing how far off them we are.

“We also beat Ireland at home which was a big game for us because you have to make home advantage count, especially against teams which are going to be in and around you, before beating Gibraltar last week.

“Things are looking good. Hopefully we can qualify for the European Championships – that would be unbelievable and one of the greatest achievements of my career.”

Bannan freely admits his decision to leave Palace on loan was partially motivated by his desire to remain within the international set-up, in what is proving a competitive squad.

The draw of Lennon – a player he admired from afar during his youth days at Celtic – was another factor in making the move to the North West.

“He [Lennon] was a big influence in me going to Bolton,” he said. “I spoke to Joe Ledley and Stiliyan Petrov – guys who have worked under him and know him. They had good things to say and I was keen to go and work under him.

“He was at Celtic when I was there as a youngster but we never met. He was a player I liked but Petrov was the one I looked up to as he was more attacking. When you are younger, you like guys who are scoring goals.

“I looked up to all those players in that team but Petrov was the main one. Protecting my Scotland place was also a big factor in the move to Bolton.

"Everyone can see there is a lot of competition just now. There are so many Scottish players on fire and the gaffer has probably left a lot of boys out who will be unhappy and could warrant a place in the team. I’m just happy that I am playing now and showing people that I’m still here and ready to play.”

Source

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Lennon could pull off a master stroke getting this guy back on board next season, he pretty much ran the show on Monday.

Bannan, Le Fondre and a couple of good wingers could really do the trick for us next season,

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

would love to keep Bannan and from the article it sounds promising. Le Fondre would be great as well, his workrate is fantastic and he is a poacher, something we've been missing for a long while.

3000 up by the way Very Happy

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:

3000 up by the way Very Happy
Well done Norpig. Keep going. :uk:

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

my wife says i'm addicted to this site and she's probably right, she even says to me now "are you nutsing again?" Laughing

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I tried to give it up.
I failed. I need to know what people are having for tea. Very Happy

Very often I'll piss my sides at something on here and Mrs B will ask me what I'm laughing at so I show her.

And she then looks at me like I'm a bit slow and shakes her head.

She refers to the time I spend on here as "time spent talking rubbish with the other idiots."

3000 up for Mr Pig and Boncey's on the cusp of 6000, so he'd better make it a good 'un!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

surely it would have to be Brucie related for such an occasion? Laughing

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Breadman wrote:

She refers to the time I spend on here as "time spent talking rubbish with the other idiots."

Seems a fair enough description to me. Smile

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Like Bannan and think he's been quality for us but he's not what we need imo. We have enough tricky attacking players in clough, walker, Clayton and mdavies. Not forgetting rochinha who will probably return on loan.

I think NL will focus his efforts and little money he has on a midfield enforcer, similar to who he had at Celtic in wanyama

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

aaron_bwfc wrote:Lennon could pull off a master stroke getting this guy back on board next season, he pretty much ran the show on Monday.

Bannan, Le Fondre and a couple of good wingers could really do the trick for us next season,
I agree totally, it would be a masterstroke and he is a pretty decent player. 

Only thing standing in the way is, unless he can come on another loan or a free, we all pretty much know Bolton will not be his club next season.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bannan was good on Monday by all accounts, but pisspoor at Wigan and several other games.

We shouldn't be signing players on one good performance.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Bannan was good on Monday by all accounts, but pisspoor at Wigan and several other games.

We shouldn't be signing players on one good performance.

You make this point a lot and it's fair enough however consistent high quality is difficult to find and expensive to buy unless the club is loaded so unfortunately I think we have to get the best deal we can given our situation.

It would be great if we were in a position to dictate who should and who shouldn't be worthy of wearing the shirt but whilst everyone can recognise quality when it's on show - and Bannan has it - consistency is much harder to spot as all players vary in their performances.

Sadly, consistency is what we judge players at BWFC on and there tends to be a :Overreact: whenever someone has a bad game and our players vacillate between hero and zero from week to week.

What we need is enough players on the pitch having good games at any given time.

I think Bannan has anonymous spells when he's not on top form, but he doesn't ever seem to have a really poor game - like giving the ball away too much or standing on it like other players have in the past.

If the price is right he could be a good signing, but I'd be surprised if Sherwood let him go permanently.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I'd be surprised if sherwood was allowed to make the decision tbh.

I would have thought it would be up to Alan Pardew, considering he's his manager.

Bannan's a decent player, but his best position is probably as a deep lying playmaker where he can pick the ball up in midfield and ping it about. Unfortunately to play that role he needs plenty of support from other midfielders as his problem has always been his lack of physical presence. Against the best championship sides a midfield of Bannan/Danns for instance would be totally over run.

So personally, although I'd like to see him stay as he's better than most of what we have I just don't think he'd what we need. I think Vela isn't far off him technically but is a better player when we don't have the ball. I'd use our limited resources elsewhere to be honest.

Bwfc1958 wrote:I'd be surprised if sherwood was allowed to make the decision tbh.

I would have thought it would be up to Alan Pardew, considering he's his manager.

Lusty lives in Norfolk.

It's still 2009 down there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum