Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Barnsley: Reds finally get their man Conor Wilkinson

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barnsley have landed promising striker Conor Wilkinson on loan from Championship side Bolton Wanderers.

The Republic of Ireland Under-21 international has signed a deal until January 2016, having initially been linked with a permanent move to Oakwell.

Wilkinson had two loan spells at Oldham Athletic last season under current Barnsley boss Lee Johnson, scoring three goals in ten league starts.

Johnson rates the tall striker very highly: “He’s a big lad but he doesn’t play like a big lad,” he said. “He’s like a poor man’s van Persie if you like, that’s what he reminds me of.

“But he’s talented, and if we can get his head right, which I’ve managed to do and Neil Lennon [Bolton’s manager] has managed to do, then he can be anything he wants.

“He’s got flaws and he has to iron those out, but he’s a good kid. Maybe that’s more maturing as a man rather than his football, because his football is very good.”

Wilkinson added: “Lee Johnson gave me the chance to join Oldham and play some League One football last season so I snapped it up straight away. I did well in my first spell there and then the gaffer called me back just after Christmas for a second spell.

“When Barnsley came in looking to take me on loan I couldn’t turn it down with this being such a big club, great set of fans, good players and big aspirations this season, and of course the chance to work with Lee again.

“Hopefully I can add some goals, I’m big, like to get in the box, create chances and try to play some good football. I’m looking forward to the game tomorrow. It’s been good meeting the boys today and I’m raring to go for the upcoming season.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum