Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Unbelievable.

+5
scottjames30
xmiles
gloswhite
wanderlust
Reebok Trotter
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Unbelievable. Empty Unbelievable. Mon Jul 20 2015, 20:31

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

2Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Mon Jul 20 2015, 21:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

...and yet French is the most widely taught language in the UK.

Presumably they aren't expecting any French criminals.

3Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Mon Jul 20 2015, 21:19

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

And why is Urdu not included? It's extremely popular in the north west. I notice Welsh hasn't been included either!  scratch

4Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Mon Jul 20 2015, 21:54

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

As a Welshman RT, I was going to say the very same. (Mind you, I can't speak it myself, after my lessons at school finished when I was 8 years old, and moved to Scotland).

5Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Mon Jul 20 2015, 23:32

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I thought it was a windup but apparently this is genuine. As you say RT unbelievable!

6Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Mon Jul 20 2015, 23:57

Right idea to get more officers speaking second languages. Ridiculous to try and make it a requirement, we'd end up without a force! 

It will never last.

7Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 06:20

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Taking the translator's jobs now are they?

Is Russia on the list?

8Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 09:41

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

incroyable!

9Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 10:03

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Surely those wishing to live in this country should be required to be able speak (and write) English rather than place the onus on our humble police officers to learn a second language.

10Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 10:12

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Surely those wishing to live in this country should be required to be able speak (and write) English rather than place the onus on our humble police officers to learn a second language.

Exactly.. and seeing as English just happens to be THE international language, the onus should be on those who choose to live here but can't speak English, to make more of an effort.

11Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 11:00

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Although Cameron's speech yesterday was (typically!) more a waffle-filled statement of his views rather than a set of practical solutions, he did mention one thing relevant here to the issue of how integration is failing: he said, "We believe in respecting different faiths, but also expecting those faiths to support the British way of life"

This surely implies that immigrants should learn the English language. That should be the first step in proving that someone is keen to fit in with their chosen society. And if they don't wish to comply......

12Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 11:08

Reebok Trotter wrote:
okocha wrote:Surely those wishing to live in this country should be required to be able speak (and write) English rather than place the onus on our humble police officers to learn a second language.

Exactly.. and seeing as English just happens to be THE international language, the onus should be on those who choose to live here but can't speak English, to make more of an effort.

Yeah, because us English are famed the world over for quietly assimilating into local culture and learning the local lingo whenever we move abroad, aren't we.....?

(Sorry, not trying to be an arse because I actually agree that it's a stupid idea in principle, but I had to raise a smile when I read comments along the lines of "If they're moving over here, they can bloody well learn our language!", given that there are whole swathes of the Costa del Sol where you hardly hear Spanish spoken and they sell more Pukka Pies than Paella.)

13Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 11:22

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

If you live in a foreign country you should learn the language. If I moved to France or Spain I would learn French or Spanish. I have no time for those arseholes who live elsewhere and don't learn the language.

14Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 11:57

xmiles wrote:If you live in a foreign country you should learn the language. If I moved to France or Spain I would learn French or Spanish. I have no time for those arseholes who live elsewhere and don't learn the language.

Completely agree, don't know why anybody would want to isolate themselves from wider society to such an extent.

I still think this is a good idea in principle though - although it shouldn't be a requirement. Offering officers the option to learn a second language can only be a good thing in my eyes.

15Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 12:16

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Breadman: Nobody said, "They can bloody well learn the language!" 

Personally I couldn't bear the thought of moving to a new country and mixing only with ex-pats because I couldn't be bothered to learn the language, missing out on the chance of new experiences.  What would be the point....unless the whole idea is simply to chase the sun, which is a pretty limited aspiration.

Of course, you are right that some Brits do move to sunny climes simply to see out their days in the warmth. A long way to commute the Macron, though!

16Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 12:21

okocha wrote:Breadman: Nobody said, "They can bloody well learn the language!" 

Personally I couldn't bear the thought of moving to a new country and mixing only with ex-pats because I couldn't be bothered to learn the language, missing out on the chance of new experiences.  What would be the point....unless the whole idea is simply to chase the sun, which is a pretty limited aspiration.

Of course, you are right that some Brits do move to sunny climes simply to see out their days in the warmth. A long way to commute the Macron, though!

To be honest, most of the time I see Brits abroad it's shameful. Loud, abrasive, drunks who take zero interest in the cultures of other countries.

It's no wonder most Europeans can't stand us.

17Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 12:25

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:

Yeah, because us English are famed the world over for quietly assimilating into local culture and learning the local lingo whenever we move abroad, aren't we.....?

(Sorry, not trying to be an arse because I actually agree that it's a stupid idea in principle, but I had to raise a smile when I read comments along the lines of "If they're moving over here, they can bloody well learn our language!", given that there are whole swathes of the Costa del Sol where you hardly hear Spanish spoken and they sell more Pukka Pies than Paella.)
Have to agree.
Most of them are part of the 'shout louder and the bastards will understand' brigade.

18Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 12:35

We went on a boat trip to a secluded cove in Turkey on our recent holiday and it was stunning.

The captain dropped anchor and the twelve or so of us on the boat (a mix of Nordic Europeans, Germans and me & The Boss) enjoyed a relaxing lunch in the sun amidst some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen.

It was a wonderfully peaceful spot but the tranquillity was shattered after about half an hour when another boat pulled up about fifty yards away.

It had a boombox blaring dance music out and the passengers all seemed to be half pissed and were shouting and screaming the whole time.

Nobody said a word on our boat but you could tell what they were all thinking.

And the worst bit was, the passengers on the second boat were all middle-aged English people.

This isn't "white man's guilt" or snobbery, but I was honestly ashamed and embarrassed to be English that day.

74's right - If I were a (proper) European, I'd hate the English.

19Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 12:40

Similar story, went to visit my sister who was working in Dubai. We were sat on the beach and overheard a middle aged British man shouting at a beach worker. 

Seemed he'd taken offence at being told he wasn't allowed to open his bottle of vodka on the beach. He couldn't seem to grasp that the fact he himself wasn't Muslim didn't make any difference.

Hope he got thrown in prison the ignorant twat.

20Unbelievable. Empty Re: Unbelievable. Tue Jul 21 2015, 13:40

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Yes, have to agree: Brits on holiday are often an embarrassment. It's so easy to pick them out from the rest. Even at the airports, Brits stand out as uncouth, loud, drunk and insensitive to others. The way they dress tends to mark them out too.

But is it also true of those Brits who choose to actually go to live abroad?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum