Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Striker in tomorrow?

+16
scottjames30
MartinBWFC
NickFazer
Barryjw
Boggersbelief
karlypants
rogercpc
terenceanne
FullofSprite
Norpig
Keegan
Hipster_Nebula
Sluffy
Natasha Whittam
JAH
Leeds_Trotter
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Striker in tomorrow? Empty Striker in tomorrow? Sun Sep 20 2015, 22:52

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Read somewhere that we are signing Emnes tomorrow and Powell by the end of the week. Could be all bollocks but what do y'all think?

2Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Sun Sep 20 2015, 23:03

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Emnes strike partner used to be Leroy Lita! All the cards are now falling in place! Hmmmm

3Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Sun Sep 20 2015, 23:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If we sign Powell I will be a full-time Chorley fan. That would be a truly awful signing.

4Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Sun Sep 20 2015, 23:19

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Powel used to play with Clayton so not necessarily that bad at all!

5Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Sun Sep 20 2015, 23:26

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The only striker we could afford these days would be Arthur Scargill.

6Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Mon Sep 21 2015, 10:40

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not a chance.

7Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Mon Sep 21 2015, 10:42

With Heskey now out injured as well, we have Madine.  That is the sum total of our strikers...............Gary "fricking" Madine!!!!!!!!

Thomas and Samizadeh to be promoted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 05:31

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'd love to see them both given a game as well.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

9Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 10:38

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You can't throw just anyone into the team if they do struggle it could set them back months mentally. 

I want to know why he thinks it's a good idea to drop vela? Absolutely no one in the midfield deserves to be starting over him and that includes mark Davies.

10Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 10:42

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i agree about Vela, as i said yesterday he should be in the team and Mavies pushed further forward.

11Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 11:12

Sluffy wrote:The only striker we could afford these days would be Arthur Scargill.

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Not a chance

I don't think Sluffy was being serious. Smile

12Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 11:38

Hipster_Nebula wrote:You can't throw just anyone into the team if they do struggle it could set them back months mentally. 

I want to know why he thinks it's a good idea to drop vela? Absolutely no one in the midfield deserves to be starting over him and that includes mark Davies.

Completely agree, apart from Mavies - the Walsall Pele.

13Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 12:16

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:You can't throw just anyone into the team if they do struggle it could set them back months mentally. 

I do worry about Neil's selection and system choice sometimes. Vela has been a lot better when he's played and even Spearing looked OK but neither have been given a look in - perhaps because until Huddersfield the defence coped admirably without needing their cover.

But if our problem is scoring goals, it sometimes makes sense to put in a proper DM rather than play Mavies deeper in the hope he can join the attack AND cover the defence - which he clearly hasn't got the legs to do and so his talents are largely wasted. Pratley is the only one who has the engine for that role and he's not available.

All that is predicated on the idea that we can get more men forward if we sacrifice a defensive-minded mid and the defence can hold firm without one.

However, the issue for me is what's in front of them and if we had 4 players with pace, composure, good movement etc we wouldn't have to worry about playing an extra attacker at defensive mid. As mentioned elsewhere, we have Wellie, and Feeney is OK if he's not played exclusively as a wide man but for me the root of the problem lies in sticking with a carthorse of a target man instead of putting in a nippy striker or two with an eye for goal.

If it were me I'd play a defensive mid e.g. Vela or Spearing and pick the fastest, trickiest foursome with Mavies tucked in just behind them. Got to be worth a shot even if it means including a couple of kids alongside Wellie and Feeney.

BTW: the Emnes thing hasn't happened (it's Tuesday) but if Neil intends to buy his way out of trouble I'd be happy with Emnes as he's exactly the type of pacy, tricky forward with an eye for goal we need.

14Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 12:47

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

wanderlust wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

I do worry about Neil's selection and system choice sometimes. Vela has been a lot better when he's played and even Spearing looked OK but neither have been given a look in - perhaps because until Huddersfield the defence coped admirably without needing their cover.

But if our problem is scoring goals, it sometimes makes sense to put in a proper DM rather than play Mavies deeper in the hope he can join the attack AND cover the defence - which he clearly hasn't got the legs to do and so his talents are largely wasted. Pratley is the only one who has the engine for that role and he's not available.

All that is predicated on the idea that we can get more men forward if we sacrifice a defensive-minded mid and the defence can hold firm without one.

However, the issue for me is what's in front of them and if we had 4 players with pace, composure, good movement etc we wouldn't have to worry about playing an extra attacker at defensive mid. As mentioned elsewhere, we have Wellie, and Feeney is OK if he's not played exclusively as a wide man but for me the root of the problem lies in sticking with a carthorse of a target man instead of putting in a nippy striker or two with an eye for goal.

If it were me I'd play a defensive mid e.g. Vela or Spearing and pick the fastest, trickiest foursome with Mavies tucked in just behind them. Got to be worth a shot even if it means including a couple of kids alongside Wellie and Feeney.

BTW: the Emnes thing hasn't happened (it's Tuesday) but if Neil intends to buy his way out of trouble I'd be happy with Emnes as he's exactly the type of pacy, tricky forward with an eye for goal we need.
Striker signed sealed and delivered as confirmed by Marc Iles

Your criticisms about midfield were answered by the gaffer last night on Radio Manchester.

Basically Mark Davies has been superb, Danns was great against Sheff Wednesday. Feeney has been brilliant and Silva is finding his feet. 

Derik takes the blame along with Wilson. Pisano will make his debut against Brighton and we're good to go

15Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 12:49

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Leeds_Trotter wrote:Read somewhere that we are signing Emnes tomorrow and Powell by the end of the week. Could be all bollocks but what do y'all think?
Powell might drum up some support - Cozy Powell that is. 

Think Emnes has signed

16Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 13:30

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

We made our bed and now must sleep in it...... we couldn't or wouldn't  raise funds to bring back ALF....we gave Heskey another season for no apparent reason, brought in Madine who is a poor mans ALF....and our golden boy Clough might be a flash in the pan. So now whoever we sign will be again somebody else's cast off or deemed not good enough and will be our new hope.  None of this is the players fault I might add. Thank Phil & Ed for their shortsightedness as per usual.

17Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 13:33

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i think Terence loves ALF as much as me  Very Happy

18Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 14:08

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:i think Terence loves ALF as much as me  Very Happy

Only one of you will be able to wear his skin.

19Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 14:53

terenceanne wrote:We made our bed and now must sleep in it...... we couldn't or wouldn't  raise funds to bring back ALF....we gave Heskey another season for no apparent reason, brought in Madine who is a poor mans ALF....and our golden boy Clough might be a flash in the pan. So now whoever we sign will be again somebody else's cast off or deemed not good enough and will be our new hope.  None of this is the players fault I might add. Thank Phil & Ed for their shortsightedness as per usual.

ALF is a cast off from Cardiff, Juke was a cast off from Boro etc etc. All the players we sign are going to be cast offs or unproven, just the reality of the situation but the above names prove it's not necessarily a losing strategy. 

As for Heskey, the apparent reason for bringing him in is pretty obvious to be fair. He's a veteran striker on little money bought in to pad out the squad. He's performed well in the little football he's had so far, the issue is we have so little money we can't even afford a cast off or a kid on loan, so Heskey (who should be a 4th choice striker) is actually 2nd.

20Striker in tomorrow? Empty Re: Striker in tomorrow? Tue Sep 22 2015, 14:57

rogercpc

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Victor Anichebe,  new striker!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum