Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lennon explains why he signed Shola Ameobi

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Lennon has revealed the reasons behind his change of heart on signing Shola Ameobi.

The former Newcastle United man scored on his debut in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Leeds United, just 24 hours after agreeing a short-term contract with Wanderers.

Lennon, who had previously claimed Ameobi was “too similar” to existing strike options Emile Heskey and Gary Madine, admitted the striker’s instant availability came into play but also hinted that the player’s demands had also been lowered when a contract was discussed last week.

“We didn’t have many options but it was finances as well – there was a re-think on both sides and he’s been a breath of fresh air,” he said.

“I think he’s got a lot to offer. He’s younger than Heskey and Gudjohnsen who we signed last year; mind you, everyone is younger than Heskey and Gudjohnsen.

“I think there’s plenty of football in him and we need to keep him fit.

“He’ll get better and stronger through the games and he’s a good personality as well. It showed in the game.

“I’m pleased that our decision making on that one so far has been vindicated.”

Ameobi’s last goal had been scored 530 days earlier for Newcastle United in a 3-0 victory over Cardiff City. Since then he had a brief spell in Turkish football and a few months at Crystal Palace but the 34-year-old has spent the last few months searching for a new club.

Huddersfield Town, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton were unable to reach an agreement before he came back to Bolton.

Lennon was forced to throw him in almost immediately against Leeds after Gary Madine suffered a concussion 10 minutes in.

“I didn’t think he would last the pace as well as he did,” the manager admitted.

“I spoke to him before the game and he said ‘I’m ready to play’ and that surprised me because he hasn’t played much football.

“I thought he was brilliant. Again there were raised eyebrows when we brought him in – I wondered whether he was too similar – but his all-round game was excellent.”

Ameobi thanked Wanderers for taking a punt.

“I always had faith,” he said of his four-month search for a new club. “I think you know as a player when it’s time to hang up your boots and that’s certainly never been the case for me. I never thought I’d fail to find a team.

“I’m indebted to Bolton because not having a club and training on your own for three or four months is tough. But the fact I have done it tells you that I want to play and thankfully that’s got me through 90 minutes.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum