Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chris Thompson - RIP

+4
BoltonTillIDie
Mallorca Trotter
TheHateCamel
Sluffy
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chris Thompson - RIP Empty Chris Thompson - RIP Wed Jun 06 2012, 22:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bolton Wanderers are saddened to hear of the death of former player Chris Thompson over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Thompson, aged 52, progressed through the club's youth team and went onto make a total of 81 senior appearances for the Trotters between 1977 and 1983.

In total, the Walsall-born midfielder netted 20 goals for the club, a number of which proved pivotal in preserving Wanderers' Division Two status at the time, when playing alongside the likes of Sam Allardyce, Peter Reid, Alan Gowling, Paul Jones and Neil Whatmore.

After a loan spell with Lincoln City 1983, he was eventually sold onto Blackburn Rovers during the following close season.

The club would like to extend its condolences to Chris' close family and friends at this difficult time.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Chris Thompson - RIP Empty Re: Chris Thompson - RIP Wed Jun 06 2012, 22:54

TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel
David Lee
David Lee

Very sad news, 52 is no age at all.

I'm sure we'll all be feeling for his family and friends.

3Chris Thompson - RIP Empty Re: Chris Thompson - RIP Wed Jun 06 2012, 22:56

Mallorca Trotter

Mallorca Trotter
David Lee
David Lee

RIP

I do remember him, but can't pretend I remember him specifically.. Steve was my hero back them...

Sad news, but sad news unfortunately surrounds our club at the moment.. Never known so many people die connected to one club in such a short time..

Thoughts with Chris's family.. COYWM

4Chris Thompson - RIP Empty Re: Chris Thompson - RIP Wed Dec 19 2012, 09:08

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A FORMER Bolton Wanderers star died a lonely death at his home after he hit the bottle and shut himself away from friends and family.

The badly decomposed body of reclusive Chris Thompson, aged 52, pictured who had also been a top star at Blackburn Rovers, was discovered collapsed in the hallway at his home in Anderson Gardens, Tipton, on June 1, an inquest heard.

Black Country coroner Robin Balmain heard evidence from Mr Thompson’s sister, Maureen Bradshaw, who said: “He suffered from depression and he used to lock himself away until he was ready to come and see you. You couldn’t contact him. I had got a key to get into the house but I could never get in because he used to bolt the doors.”

A post mortem examination confirmed that Mr Thompson had cirrhosis of the liver and that his death was “most likely” related to alcohol – either excessive consumption or withdrawal. England international Peter Reid, a member of the Bolton team when Thompson made his First Division debut at the age of 19, said the England Youth international was the shining light among a talented group of youngsters who graduated from the club’s junior ranks.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

5Chris Thompson - RIP Empty Re: Chris Thompson - RIP Wed Dec 19 2012, 12:12

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

RIP

6Chris Thompson - RIP Empty Re: Chris Thompson - RIP Wed Dec 19 2012, 13:27

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker