Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which players has Lennon missed out on due to finances?

+6
wanderlust
Norpig
doffcocker
karlypants
Boggersbelief
Bolton Nuts
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:So to summarise the last few posts....

We need a new team and no individual player is a panacea. Is that a fair summary?
 Yes but i still want ALF  Laughing

wanderlust wrote:To say the problem is a "lack of goals" is an oversimplification Norpig - might as well say the problem is a "lack of wins" or a "lack of points" (or lack of money if you want to complete the circle!)

Buy a striker and we'd still be struggling if we continue to give away stupid goals and fail to create clearcut opportunities. It would lead to exciting games but if survival is the objective we'd be better off sorting out the midfield so that at least we don't lose.

Biggest disappointment for me this season are the likes of Spearing and Mavies who you'd expect to be at least competitive in this division but they've been poor - and need replacing. I'd sell 'em along with Medo and Trotter and spend any money available on trying to build a decent midfield from where we can control games.

There's problems throughout the team, but IMO there's enough quality in the midfield and defence to be mid table, a stiker force of Madine, Heskey and Ameobi is league 1 at best.

The midfield in particular have been very poor but when there's little to no movement ahead of them and strikers who don't do enough to bring others into the game it looks even worse.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's where we differ 74 - I don't think we have the quality in midfield or defence. I just think the midfield with the possible exception of Pratley, is L1 standard and I'm not convinced that Spearing has been good enough for that. His passing has gone to pot which for a former Premiership player is both unexpected and indicative of laziness.

I disagree you don't need outstanding quality throughout the team in the Championship you need fitness(/hard work) and organisation. Look at Brentford or Wolves midfielders for instance, James Henry, Jack Price, Alan McCormack, Diagouraga all lower league players who run non-stop for the team and move the ball quickly.

Pratley, Mavies, Spearing and Vela are all more than good enough to do that. They did it well when Lennon first came in, as did Danns, we saw high pressing, lots of running and an organised side but something has caused their form to drop off a cliff. To me that's a lack of motivation, maybe because the squad is stale or maybe the managers not doing his job, but to say there isn't enough quality in midfield for us to avoid relegation is false.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:I disagree you don't need outstanding quality throughout the team in the Championship you need fitness(/hard work) and organisation. Look at Brentford or Wolves midfielders for instance, James Henry, Jack Price, Alan McCormack, Diagouraga all lower league players who run non-stop for the team and move the ball quickly.

Pratley, Mavies, Spearing and Vela are all more than good enough to do that. They did it well when Lennon first came in, as did Danns, we saw high pressing, lots of running and an organised side but something has caused their form to drop off a cliff. To me that's a lack of motivation, maybe because the squad is stale or maybe the managers not doing his job, but to say there isn't enough quality in midfield for us to avoid relegation is false.

:agree:

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:I disagree you don't need outstanding quality throughout the team in the Championship you need fitness(/hard work) and organisation. Look at Brentford or Wolves midfielders for instance, James Henry, Jack Price, Alan McCormack, Diagouraga all lower league players who run non-stop for the team and move the ball quickly.

You also need to be able to tackle, find space, pass to someone on your own team, retain possession, cover for the defence and create opportunities for the forwards - as well as chipping in with the odd goal. In my opinion.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

As others have said.... I believe that relatively small investment in ALF and keeping hold of one or two others would have us lower to mid table today. Making the club much more attractive and a better starting position while the new owners redo the finances.  Now we need 3 or 4 new players pronto and hope they are better than the ones we have now...... it's a tall order IMO.
A win on Monday will make everybody feel a lot better.....especially if the club is sold before then.

wanderlust wrote:

You also need to be able to tackle, find space, pass to someone on your own team, retain possession, cover for the defence and create opportunities for the forwards - as well as chipping in with the odd goal. In my opinion.

Do you think our midfielders are any worse technically than the 4 I mention above? Or do you think it's a case of fitness and motivation?

When Lennon came in last season they all showed they could do it, so what changed? They've stopped working hard enough and they're not as focussed IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum