Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Upcoming films

+4
Lofty_Love
Natasha Whittam
xmiles
largehat
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Upcoming films Empty Upcoming films Thu Jun 14 2012, 00:40

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

There are two films being released later this year that I am very excited about.

'The Great Gatsby' is an adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel directed by Baz Luhrmann who directed the late 90s version of Romeo & Juliet and Moulin Rouge in 2008.

Francis Ford Coppola made a very average adaptation starring Robert Redford in the 1970s.

Luhrmann's film will star Leonardo di Caprio and Tobey Maguire and is being given the full 3D treatment.

I'm looking forward to it mainly because The Great Gatsby is one of favourite 5 or 6 books. It is considered a masterpiece of 20th century literature.

It is about a young man named Jay Gatz from a simple background who falls in love with Daisy Buchanan whose "voice is full of money", a rich socialite, prior to World War One, to which he is drafted.

He loses contact with her during the war and she marries this rich guy.

After the war he becomes a self-made man through illicit means which are never fully established in the novel, although bootlegging is suggested. He reinvents himself ("he sprang from a platonic conception of himself", as Fitzgerald puts it} and takes the name Gatsby. He becomes a semi-mythical and enigmatic figure, lurking in the shadows of palace, biding his time.

Rather than approach Daisy directly, he buys a plot of land and a vast estate across the bay from where she lives and every night of the week, hosts grandiose and ostentatious parties, week after week, in the hope that Daisy will eventually attend one. He spends his time at night looking at a green light on Daisy's dock, a symbol of the New World and his flickering hope.

It captures the hedonistic years of 1920s America, 'The Jazz Age', an era of 'conspicuous consumption' and The American Dream.

Lurmann's films are postmodern yet original and I expect this film to be a leading contender for Academy Awards, and not just in the technical and more aesthetic categories.

Anyway, I know I have done a poor job of explaining what it is about, but if you have 2 minutes, check out this trailer, which is set to a brilliant tune by Jack White:

The other film I am looking forward to is the final part of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, 'The Dark Knight Rises'. I've loved superhero comics and films since I was a kid, and without doubt, 'The Dark Knight' is the greatest superhero film ever made, and one of the best action movies of any genre.

My expectations are tempered by the absence of Heath Ledger, but I know Nolan will deliver a brilliant experience, it's simply going to be epic. He's the kind of director whose films really suffer if the audience do not see them on the big screen (The Prestige, Inception). He's rebooting Superman next year with a film called The Man of Steel. Anyway, I defy anyone to go see The Dark Knight Rises and consider it not to be eight quid well spent.

The series was left on a poignant note at the end of The Dark Knight, with Batman taking the fall for the death of the city's hero, Harvey Dent, for the sake of the spirits of the people. He has become a pariah, an unknown savior, hunted by the authorities.

Nolan's films are dark, somehow both gothic and modern, and he is one of the great storytellers of our time. He brings Gotham City to life with no attempt to imitate either the comics themselves or the comic-book style of the 80s and 80s Batman films, which went off the boil.

Here is the most recent trailer:

Are there any other great films coming out this year that you are looking forward to?

2Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Thu Jun 14 2012, 08:16

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Slightly off topic but I am also looking forward to the new Batman film. Nolan is one of my favourite directors and I urge anyone who hasn't seen it to have a look at Memento, a film he directed in 2000.

However we have to be careful about raising our expectations as anyone who has seen Prometheus will confirm. Truly one of the most barking mad story lines in the history of cinema.

3Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Thu Jun 14 2012, 13:25

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Ha, ha, I decided to give Prometheus a miss at the cinema when I heard what the premise was. Set in the 'Alien' universe, before the events in 'Alien', but not a prequel?! Was it that bad then xmiles?

4Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Thu Jun 14 2012, 13:44

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Yes it was the kind of thing that gives sf a bad name. The basic plot is that we have identical DNA with the aliens who were piloting the ship with the alien eggs in the first Alien film, which means, according to the film, that these aliens created us! So what about all the other life forms on Earth and evolution? And these aliens are 9 foot tall albinos. And the clues that lead people to this planet are based on depictions of star maps in ancient civilisations like the Egyptian, Sumerian, Hawaiian - yes Hawaii a place completely uninhabited until about 1500 years ago. And so on ...

5Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Thu Jun 14 2012, 13:58

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

It is about a young man named Jay Gatz from a simple background who falls in love with Daisy Buchanan whose "voice is full of money", a rich socialite, prior to World War One, to which he is drafted.

He loses contact with her during the war and she marries this rich guy.

After the war he becomes a self-made man through illicit means which are never fully established in the novel, although bootlegging is suggested. He reinvents himself ("he sprang from a platonic conception of himself", as Fitzgerald puts it} and takes the name Gatsby. He becomes a semi-mythical and enigmatic figure, lurking in the shadows of palace, biding his time.

Rather than approach Daisy directly, he buys a plot of land and a vast estate across the bay from where she lives and every night of the week, hosts grandiose and ostentatious parties, week after week, in the hope that Daisy will eventually attend one. He spends his time at night looking at a green light on Daisy's dock, a symbol of the New World and his flickering hope.

It captures the hedonistic years of 1920s America, 'The Jazz Age', an era of 'conspicuous consumption' and The American Dream.

Thanks Largehat, that is one I will definitely be missing.

6Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Thu Jun 14 2012, 13:59

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles - Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Won't even be bothering with it when it comes on Sky now. Thank you for saving me two hours of my life.

Natasha - you're very welcome. You wouldn't appreciate it anyway.

7Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Thu Jun 14 2012, 14:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Natasha - you're very welcome. You wouldn't appreciate it anyway.

I refuse to watch films with no action or vampires.

8Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Thu Jun 14 2012, 14:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:Yes it was the kind of thing that gives sf a bad name. The basic plot is that we have identical DNA with the aliens who were piloting the ship with the alien eggs in the first Alien film, which means, according to the film, that these aliens created us! So what about all the other life forms on Earth and evolution? And these aliens are 9 foot tall albinos. And the clues that lead people to this planet are based on depictions of star maps in ancient civilisations like the Egyptian, Sumerian, Hawaiian - yes Hawaii a place completely uninhabited until about 1500 years ago. And so on ...

Bloody spoiler.

9Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Thu Jun 14 2012, 14:52

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:
xmiles wrote:Yes it was the kind of thing that gives sf a bad name. The basic plot is that we have identical DNA with the aliens who were piloting the ship with the alien eggs in the first Alien film, which means, according to the film, that these aliens created us! So what about all the other life forms on Earth and evolution? And these aliens are 9 foot tall albinos. And the clues that lead people to this planet are based on depictions of star maps in ancient civilisations like the Egyptian, Sumerian, Hawaiian - yes Hawaii a place completely uninhabited until about 1500 years ago. And so on ...

Bloody spoiler.

Trust me you are better off saving your money.

10Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Fri Jun 15 2012, 03:21

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Disagree with your Prometheus review.

To be fair any sci fi film sounds ridiculous when written out.. because they are, but you just have to kind of accept that, for example:

Alien,

mining crew is awakened to be sent to an unknown planet to investigate an unknown signal, when found the ship is seen to be alien with dead alien lifeforms which burst from inside, this is glossed over and instead of turning back they continue further until they find eggs, which hatch and crab things jumps on one of their faces and plants and egg in his chest, which grows, bursts out of his chest as an alien which grows from 6 inch tall to 9 ft tall in about 3 hours, has acid blood and kills everything!!

Most sci fi films sound ridiculous, you just have to accept it and enjoy it, I thought Prometheus was alright, pretty fun and explained a bit about the alien series like Ridely Scott said it would.

Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but certainly not a disaster

That said, if your don't like sci fi, you will hate it

11Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Fri Jun 15 2012, 03:35

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Lofty, don't think I am pooh-poohing your point in any way because it is a very valid one.

But that synopsis of Alien makes it sound as run of the mill and plausible as an episode of Coronation Street compared to xmiles' synopsis of Prometheus.

2001: A Space Odyssey sounds as ridiculous as Prometheus in synopsis, however, it is stunning in every way. There is indeed a fine line between great science fiction and horrible science fiction, and I haven't read a good review of Prometheus yet personally.

12Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Fri Jun 15 2012, 08:39

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Lofty_Love wrote:Disagree with your Prometheus review.

To be fair any sci fi film sounds ridiculous when written out.. because they are, but you just have to kind of accept that, for example:

Alien,

mining crew is awakened to be sent to an unknown planet to investigate an unknown signal, when found the ship is seen to be alien with dead alien lifeforms which burst from inside, this is glossed over and instead of turning back they continue further until they find eggs, which hatch and crab things jumps on one of their faces and plants and egg in his chest, which grows, bursts out of his chest as an alien which grows from 6 inch tall to 9 ft tall in about 3 hours, has acid blood and kills everything!!

Most sci fi films sound ridiculous, you just have to accept it and enjoy it, I thought Prometheus was alright, pretty fun and explained a bit about the alien series like Ridely Scott said it would.

Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but certainly not a disaster

That said, if your don't like sci fi, you will hate it

Lofty I love sf but so much of it is crap. Authors I like include Banks, Reynolds, Hamilton, Egan, Dick, Silverberg and Stross.

But back to the film. Good sf films for me would include Alien and Blade Runner, both directed by Ridley Scott. However Prometheus is so full of plot holes, inconsistencies and things that simply make no sense. Rather than spoil it for anyone still interested in watching this pile of crap I won't elaborate further on some of the completely pointless and/or unsurprising reveals that occur. If anyone is interested they can pm me.

13Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Fri Jun 15 2012, 10:41

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Red Lights starring Robert De Niro and Sigourney Weaver has been well touted.

14Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Fri Jun 15 2012, 10:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

2001: A Space Odyssey

Crap film.

15Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Fri Jun 15 2012, 10:47

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree. It bored me into a state of temporary paralysis.

16Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Fri Jun 15 2012, 10:58

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Me too, nothing actually happens. I hate all that arty-farty stuff that the critics love.

17Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Fri Jun 15 2012, 11:02

Looking forward to a film called savages coming out , it' s a fly on the wall documentary in the style of The Osbournes but based on the life of the original Robbie Savage. Should be a good film starring John Travolta and Benecio Del Torro, I've read the book that it's based on.

One film I won't be watching is Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, because it sounds shit.

18Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Fri Jun 15 2012, 11:38

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

OneOinCoyle wrote:

One film I won't be watching is Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, because it sounds shit.

Yes I saw the trailer for this. Unfuckingbelievable! I'd rather watch Prometheus again.

19Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Fri Jun 15 2012, 12:09

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Got to say I absolutely detest Baz Luhrmann.

As for Christopher Nolan, he has made some excellent films, The Prestige (my favourite of his) is absolutely superb, The Dark Knight and Batman Begins are also superb IMO.

Inception for me was a bit disappointing, for all the fantastic effects the plot just didn't grip me, the characters were robots, cold and i felt no connection.

I'm seriously worried about Rises i hope it's good but looking at the trailers I'm fearing the worst, can't stand Tom Hardy either.

My favourite Kubrick film is actually Eyes Wide Shut, I've no doubt I'm completely alone in that thinking.

20Upcoming films Empty Re: Upcoming films Fri Jun 15 2012, 12:12

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Got to say I absolutely detest Baz Luhrmann.

Baz is a great musician. Don't forget to wear sunscreen!

https://youtu.be/sTJ7AzBIJoI

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum