Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tory MP comes out.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tory MP comes out. Empty Tory MP comes out. Thu Jan 14 2016, 09:43

Scottish Secretary David Mundell MP has taken what is being lauded as the brave step to come out and admit that he is openly gay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35301898

Well done him.

But why is it still an issue and why should people in his position (or anybody for that matter) be forced to announce their sexuality in the media?

It's 2016, not 1916, so why is it still an issue for so many people?

Good luck to him, I say, but it's just a shame that we haven't already sufficiently evolved as a society to the point where something like this isn't considered news any more.

Personally, I'd be more embarrassed about telling my family and friends that I was a Tory.

2Tory MP comes out. Empty Re: Tory MP comes out. Thu Jan 14 2016, 10:00

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Exactly!

3Tory MP comes out. Empty Re: Tory MP comes out. Thu Jan 14 2016, 10:02

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I agree that in this day and age you shouldn't be forced to announce your sexuality in the media but i think in this instance, it was done not because he was forced to, but because it lifted a bit of a weight off his shoulders. Having a big part of your life being kept secret must be hard so if it makes the person happier to come out in public then that's what they have to do.

4Tory MP comes out. Empty Re: Tory MP comes out. Thu Jan 14 2016, 10:10

Bwfc1958 wrote:I agree that in this day and age you shouldn't be forced to announce your sexuality in the media but i think in this instance, it was done not because he was forced to, but because it lifted a bit of a weight off his shoulders. Having a big part of your life being kept secret must be hard so if it makes the person happier to come out in public then that's what they have to do.

But that's my point, mate - why should it matter if he's gay or not?

If he can do his job well enough and he's not a wanker, why should it matter if he's gay or straight?

Why are gay people still under such pressure in 2016 to keep quiet about their sexuality?

It's barmy.

5Tory MP comes out. Empty Re: Tory MP comes out. Thu Jan 14 2016, 11:25

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I understand that and I agree but society, whether we like it or not, isn't there yet. 

I wouldn't class anyone on here as being homophobic but there is a lot of references to gay sex in a piss taking way. Words like bum bandit etc are quite common and although they're not said in a malicious way, it's things like that that show why there is still a stigma attached to being gay, and why people will be reluctant to openly admit to being gay themselves. 

(That stuff doesn't offend me in the slightest by the way, I'm guilty of saying things like that myself on occasion. Just making a point that's all.)

6Tory MP comes out. Empty Re: Tory MP comes out. Thu Jan 14 2016, 11:38

We're ahead of most countries in Britain when it comes to issues like this, we've definitely come a long way in the last generation or so. 

There are still bigots out there, but it's still moving in the right direction it will just take time.

7Tory MP comes out. Empty Re: Tory MP comes out. Thu Jan 14 2016, 11:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

But that's my point, mate - why should it matter if he's gay or not?

If he can do his job well enough and he's not a wanker, why should it matter if he's gay or straight?

Why are gay people still under such pressure in 2016 to keep quiet about their sexuality?

It's barmy.

This sounds like groundwork for a big announcement.

8Tory MP comes out. Empty Re: Tory MP comes out. Thu Jan 14 2016, 11:54

I'm trying to help you here, don't take the piss.

9Tory MP comes out. Empty Re: Tory MP comes out. Fri Jan 15 2016, 14:16

At least professional sport has moved on into the 21st century.

Faff and Morne are obviously deeply in love and aren't afraid to show it in public judging from this photo I've just taken of my tellybox.

I think they're just about to invite Ben back to their hotel room. Look at their eyes:

Tory MP comes out. 20160110

10Tory MP comes out. Empty Re: Tory MP comes out. Fri Jan 15 2016, 14:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm getting a bit worried too. This is my reaction to Jeremy Corbyn winning the leadership battle.
Tory MP comes out. 200

11Tory MP comes out. Empty Re: Tory MP comes out. Fri Jan 15 2016, 14:24

Not bad but needs more pandas.

12Tory MP comes out. Empty Re: Tory MP comes out. Fri Jan 15 2016, 15:01

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Go on Bread, you'll feel better when you do it.

13Tory MP comes out. Empty Re: Tory MP comes out. Fri Jan 15 2016, 16:05

scottjames30 wrote:Go on Bread, you'll feel better when you do it.

Me and scott did

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum