Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Super Kevin Davies v Super John McGinlay as legends go head to head to sign fans up to BWST

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Two Wanderers legends are set to battle it out to help the new Bolton Wanderers Supporters’ Trust.

Kevin Davies and John McGinlay will be outside the Macron Stadium before the FA Cup replay against Eastleigh on Tuesday night to raise the profile of the trust.

The former strikers will each be hoping they are crowned 'man of the match' as they hand out leaflets compete to get the most people signed up to become part of the new organisation.

Already more than 2,500 fans have signed up and declared their support for the group.

So will you be supporting Team Super Kev or Team Super John on the night?

Kevin Davies

Kevin Davies says he has been inundated with messages from fans after attending an initial meeting at the Macron Stadium last week.

The former captain, who made 407 appearances for Wanderers over a ten year period, scoring 84 goals, joked that some of John's tipple at his pub, the Original Bay Horse in Horwich, would be on the line.

The 38-year-old said: "I am sure we will have a bit of a private wager, maybe involving a few drinks at his pub!"

The former Wanderers, Preston, Southampton, Blackburn and Chesterfield striker has been vocal in his support of the trust since it was first mooted.

He said: "I have had a lot of discussions prior to the meeting, and I have had lots of phone calls and emails since. I think it's important that it gets established.
"My role at the moment is to publicise it and to help get as many people involved as possible, and hopefully we can do that.

"I am at the game anyway with some friends, so it is a good opportunity to spread the word to as many people.

"With new owners, the more people involved with the trust the more powerful it will become."

Kevin, who retired from football last year, counts scoring a late equaliser at Bayern Munich's Allianz Arena among his career highlights.

His late goal in the 2007 UEFA Cup match secured an unlikely draw for Wanderers against the European giants, and made for a historic night which went down in the club's history.
Kevin also scored in Wanderers' League Cup final defeat against Middlesbrough at Cardiff in 2004, and was capped for England aged 33, as a substitute during a goalless draw with Montenegro at Wembley in 2010.

He recently spoke out amidst Wanderers' financial difficulties and said the club has "lost its soul" since he has left.

Team Super John

John McGinlay says he will have some fun with one of his Wanderers striking successors on Tuesday night, but that the appeal has a serious message behind it.

He said: "It's all a bit of fun, but we are trying to raise awareness and have decided to take advantage of a home game.

“I am sure there will be a bit of a bonus for whoever gets the most signatures!”

Super John, who scored in Wanderers’ famous ‘White Hot’ victory over Liverpool at Anfield in 1993, says he thinks fans should have a say in the running of the club under any new owners.

He said: "There is a role for every fan in every club, it is the fans which make football clubs.

"For too long the fans have not had a say, so hopefully this will give them a voice.
"Obviously people can sign up online but some people may not have access so this gives them another opportunity.

John, now aged 51, added to his place in Wanderers folklore after netting the last ever goal at Burnden Park before the club moved to the newly built Reebok Stadium.

He was at the initial meeting of the supporters trust, and says he has been pleased to see the reaction it has received from fans.

John said: “It has been amazing seeing how many people have got involved, just in the past few days.”

In total he netted 118 goals in 245 games for Wanderers, and was a star of the club’s White Hot years.

John, who also had spells at Yeovil Town, Shrewsbury Town, Elgin City and Millwall after starting his career in Scotland at Fort William, now divides his time between media commitments and running his pub with other members of his family. 

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum