Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Inside Wanderers: Clough's commitment to the Whites deserves huge praise

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Writing a story that isn’t connected with finances is not an easy task at Wanderers these days, and that is why the tale of Zach Clough’s abandoned move to Bristol City restored my faith a little this week.

The diminutive striker may only have a couple of dozen senior games under his belt but he has come to personify hope for the future at Bolton – in my eyes at least.

He might be from the wrong side of the M60 but Clough still counts as a local lad, and one in which some good coaches at Wanderers have invested a lot of time and effort to improve.

I have seen pride in the eyes of people like Tony Kelly, Nicky Spooner and David Lee as their graduates are announced on the teamsheet, and it left a bitter taste in my mouth that Clough and Josh Vela were facing a move to solve a problem not of their causing.

I had received assurances the younger players, whose wages were not anything like those of some in the senior squad, would not be the ones facing the exit door.

And so it was with a bitter taste in my mouth I reported the club had Bristol City’s offer of £3million – a total I only learned after the event would only be gained after a significant number of appearances.

Vela’s move to Cardiff City, for a fee of just £475,000, I might add, was also a difficult one to get my head around. The fee felt low and while the 22-year-old has played a low percentage of his 50-odd games in his favoured central midfield position, I couldn’t help but feel the South Wales club were taking advantage of the situation.

Clough travelled down to Bristol to speak with Steve Cotterill and their ambitious owner Stephen Lansdown. The project down there at Ashton Gate looks to have a very secure footing – based on signing promising players under the age of 24 – and if the Robins survive in the Championship this season, I can see them moving on to much bigger and better things.

My understanding is the offer they made to Clough was roughly three times what he is on at Bolton, a head-spinning amount for a young man in this division.

Bristol’s case appeared a convincing one and there is no question Wanderers’ dire financial situation placed a significant pressure on the youngster’s shoulders to cut ties with the club and run.

Was it the right move for his career at that point in time? Well, that is up for debate.

Would it have bought Wanderers some breathing space with a winding-up order waiting for them at the High Court in a week? You bet.

I would like to think that Clough would have been left to his own devices when deciding if this was the right move for him – but I understand the club’s pressing need for cash was made very, very apparent.

It would have been easy for him to jump ship in the current climate and earn a pretty big pay day. I have seen plenty of young players move on at the first hint of a pay cheque but think little of what the move would do to his career.

But not Zach.

I’m sure his family will have been a guiding influence in the decision but to say ‘thanks but no thanks’ to the Robins has proved a very wise choice.

Just over 72 hours after Clough turned down the move, and just four hours after Steve Cotterill admitted it in public, the Robins boss was sacked. Bullet dodged.

Clough has decided to stay and fight. I only hope other players decide to do the same. 

Whatever the takeover situation, the challenge facing Wanderers on the pitch right now requires action from people who wear the white shirt with pride.

At Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday night there were signs of encouragement, if not a positive result. With Clough and Vela on board the club has a chance of getting both and ensuring this season need not end in complete disaster.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum