Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which was your favourite time as a Bolton fan?

+7
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok Trotter
Alf Hooker
Bwfc1958
gloswhite
Norpig
Michael Bolton
11 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

For those of us who have followed Bolton since the late 1980s and early 1990s, it's crazy to think that is almost 30 years ago and in that time it has been a rollercoaster ride with ups and downs.

I am just curious which time (in terms of players we had) was your most exciting time as Bolton fan?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i loved the premiership years but for me the times under Rioch were unbeatable,all those White Hot days and promotions were amazing. The 3-1 win at the cup holders Arsenal is still my favourite ever away game

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Not necessarily favourite, but most memorable, was going to see us play Arsenal in the cup, when we drew at Bolton, (Ian Ure was their supposed 'star'). and then going to Highbury for the replay. I lived in East London at the time, and I think I was about 16 or 17.
It was a mixed crowd, and I was wearing my colours. The atmosphere was brilliant. We played not too bad, and as the game went on things were looking good. Always remember Warwick Rimmer was playing in a scrum cap due to an injury in the first game. Halfway through the second half ( I think), the world caved in when they scored 3 goals in 2 minutes. Bitterly disappointing, though it was amazing how much support, and sympathy, I got from the Arsenal fans, when I went home on the tube.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Norpig wrote:i loved the premiership years but for me the times under Rioch were unbeatable,all those White Hot days and promotions were amazing. The 3-1 win at the cup holders Arsenal is still my favourite ever away game

That was quite amazing, McAteer rocketed in a goal in injury time, was fantastic. They were exciting times.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I agree with Norpig, the Rioch era was amazing. The day we won promotion at home to Preston with a John McGinlay penalty and the pitch invasion at the end was an amazing sight for me as a youngster. Then there was the cup games against Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal that were all great games. The run in the coca cola cup was brilliant as well. The game against Norwich in the quarter final at home sticks in my mind when we won one nil with a goal from David Lee I think it was, who was on fire again that night, and the semi finals against Swindon were pretty epic as well and even though we lost the final at Wembley against Liverpool it was still a great day for me. We followed that up with the playoffs that culminated in the Reading win. Great times for me that will never be replicated.

Alf Hooker

David Lee
David Lee

Mid to late 70's under Ian Greaves -  knocking on the door twice for promotion to the 1st division, Massive crowds and unbelievable atmospheres at Burnden - Cup runs and exciting team - Bloody hell we had 50,413 on burnden for the Everton semi - and I was one of them -we'll never get it again..

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The periods under Rioch and Big Sam. Everything else pales into insignificance. Although our promotion year in 78 brings back happy memories as well.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The late 90s for me no question.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:The late 90s for me no question.
Were we on telly more then?

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

gloswhite wrote:Not necessarily favourite, but most memorable, was going to see us play Arsenal in the cup, when we drew at Bolton, (Ian Ure was their supposed 'star'). and then going to Highbury for the replay. I lived in East London at the time, and I think I was about 16 or 17.
It was a mixed crowd, and I was wearing my colours. The atmosphere was brilliant. We played not too bad, and as the game went on things were looking good. Always remember Warwick Rimmer was playing in a scrum cap due to an injury in the first game. Halfway through the second half ( I think), the world caved in when they scored 3 goals in 2 minutes. Bitterly disappointing, though it was amazing how much support, and sympathy, I got from the Arsenal fans, when I went home on the tube.
That first match at Burnden was when the massive Freddie Hill God banner was unfurled for the first time. The police made the fans take it down but the God status remained intact.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Alf Hooker wrote:Mid to late 70's under Ian Greaves -  knocking on the door twice for promotion to the 1st division, Massive crowds and unbelievable atmospheres at Burnden - Cup runs and exciting team - Bloody hell we had 50,413 on burnden for the Everton semi - and I was one of them -we'll never get it again..
+1 marvellous times and the wonderful Frank Worthington.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:The late 90s for me no question.
Were we on telly more then?

No, we weren't.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Alf Hooker wrote:Mid to late 70's under Ian Greaves -  knocking on the door twice for promotion to the 1st division, Massive crowds and unbelievable atmospheres at Burnden - Cup runs and exciting team - Bloody hell we had 50,413 on burnden for the Everton semi - and I was one of them -we'll never get it again..
Same here. Went to my first game in the 76/77 season and fell in love with BWFC. When we went up to Division 1 by beating Blackburn it was one of the greatest moments of my childhood. Sadly those days are gone and I think it will be a long time if ever before we see their like again. Sad

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I liked the Burnden park era more than the Reebok years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum