Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It has gone from bad to worse, admits shocked interim boss

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers finally fell through the Championship trapdoor, leaving Jimmy Phillips lost for words on their catastrophic demise.

Relegation has loomed large for several weeks but defeat at Derby County – a fourth consecutive reverse for the interim boss – finally rubber stamped the inevitable.

Phillips insists he did all he could do organise the team he inherited from Neil Lennon, and was disconsolate after the final whistle at the iPro Stadium.

“I was really looking forward to working with the first team and I can’t believe how these games have worked out,” he told The Bolton News.

“We have certainly worked hard on the training ground, put a lot of information into the players to give them an opportunity to do well in games and it just hasn’t happened.

“Right now I feel for the fans who have stood by the team all the way through this. It hasn’t been good enough. It has gone from bad to worse.”

Dean Holdsworth appealed for Wanderers fans to “stick together” after relegation, vowing it was only a temporary setback for the club he took over in February.

But supporters are now keen to hear how the club will respond to the loss of revenue associated with a drop into League One and still conduct the wholesale changes needed in the playing squad.

“I think now that the confirmation is there that we’ll be playing League One football next season the new owners will have had a plan A and a plan B,” Phillips said. “They know exactly what monies are coming into the club and I’m sure we’ll have a clear direction or indication of what we can spend next year to strengthen and improve what we have seen.

“I would imagine there will need to be a financial restructure off the field and on it as well.

“From the games I have seen we have to have a more athletic group of players. That will be the key next year and the basis of any changes to the squad.”

Previous managers Dougie Freedman and Neil Lennon both voiced controversial comments about the quality of players at their disposal and the fragile mentality within their respective Wanderers squads.

Phillips believes the Whites’ shortcomings this season show they may have had a point.

“I think the league table suggests the playing staff we have here haven’t done what’s required on the pitch,” he added.

“It has been disappointing. We gave them a structure and game-plan for each game and barring the Reading game we haven’t even been able to get in at half time with a clean sheet.

“We haven’t been able to get the players in at half time and think about how we could win the game.

“There again, that’s where the new owners have to decide what money they have to change this playing staff.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum