Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon: Hibs close to appointing former Celtic boss

+7
Norpig
doffcocker
whatsgoingon
Natasha Whittam
luckyPeterpiper
MartinBWFC
Sluffy
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Neil Lennon could be appointed Hibernian manager later this week.

Negotiations are continuing between the former Celtic boss and the Scottish Championship club with a view to him succeeding Alan Stubbs.

Stubbs left for Rotherham United last week after two seasons in charge and having just won the Scottish Cup.

Lennon is believed to want Garry Parker as his number two at Hibs, who missed out promotion to the Premiership after a play-off defeat by Falkirk.

The pair played together at Leicester City and Lennon had Parker as part of his coaching team at Celtic and Bolton Wanderers.

Former Northern Ireland midfielder Lennon, who won the League Cup twice as a player with Leicester, served Celtic as a player for six-and-a-half years, winning five Scottish titles and six domestic cups.

After a spell back in English football, Lennon rejoined Celtic as a coach in 2008 and eventually became manager in 2010.

He enjoyed further success in the dugout at Celtic Park with three successive top-flight titles and two Scottish Cup triumphs before leaving in 2014.

A move to Bolton followed later that year and, although Wanderers initially improved under Lennon, they were bottom of the Championship by the time he left in March, with the side eventually relegated.

Hibs have spent the last two seasons in Scotland's second tier, having also lost out in the promotion play-offs in 2015.

However, having ended their 114-year wait to win the Scottish Cup, the Edinburgh club will enter the Europa League qualifying rounds, with their first match on 14 July.

On Sunday, Stubbs told BBC Scotland he thought that Lennon, his former Celtic team-mate, would be a "a good choice" for the Easter Road vacancy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36474718

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Scotland is his level.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Maybe it would be better to say a club with money and players who actually give a damn would be more his level. Lennon was hog tied and hamstrung the moment he walked in here. Still, old news now and frankly he's probably glad he's away from this farce pretending to be a football club anyway.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Seems like the deal has been done.

What a tosspot.

This comment made me laugh on the BBC website:

RememberScarborough wrote:As a Bolton fan I'd like to wish him all the best and thank him for all his efforts during the time he was at our club.

He was put in an impossible position and none of what happened on the field was a reflection of his managerial ability. Hope he has a far more enjoyable time at Hibs.

Impossible position? He was simply a shit manager who couldn't motivate players, but worst of all couldn't tell a good player from a bag of manure.

Poor Hibs.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Nat's in fine form in the controversy for attention mode, anyone with a brain could see the circumstances he was managing in were impossible. I also wish him well

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:Nat's in fine form in the controversy for attention mode, anyone with a brain could see the circumstances he was managing in were impossible. I also wish him well

Yes, he had a gun to his head when he signed Heskey, Madine and all the other shite players he brought to the club.

And his personal life was a mess.

Good riddance, clueless manager who simply couldn't do it without wads of cash behind him and vastly inferior competition.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

whatsgoingon wrote:Nat's in fine form in the controversy for attention mode, anyone with a brain could see the circumstances he was managing in were impossible. I also wish him well

Seconded.

Whittam's a complete love length.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Yes, he had a gun to his head when he signed Heskey, Madine and all the other shite players he brought to the club.

Good riddance, clueless manager who simply couldn't do it without wads of cash behind him and vastly inferior competition.
And under our circumstances the viable options were ????

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

whatsgoingon wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Stand by for Whittam's "no he didn't have much money to spend but there are bargains to be had" bullshit.

I once asked her who she'd have signed instead of Madine, and she came up with a 32 year old who'd scored less goals in League Two than Madine had for us.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:

He's had two jobs in management.

It's not like he's been all over the place and consistently performed well at clubs where things were easy, and failed at all the tougher jobs.

There's absolutely no saying how he'd perform at an Everton or Stoke or Swansea where he'd get a fair bit of freedom in the transfer market and be on a relatively level playing field with a number of other clubs.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I agree. In fact I was quite surprised that a number of Premier League clubs didn't come in for him after he left Celtic. What nat and his other detractors seem to forget is he didn't just win in Scotland, he far exceeded expectations in Europe, most notably beating barcelona over two legs, something no english team had done since Man utd in the 90's.

Frankly I think Hibs may be perfect for him, if he can get them into Europe (which I think he will) and he does well there that would put him in the shop window for a much bigger job than ours. I wish him well and think he was operating under constraints here that were impossible for anyone to overcome. He didn't have not much money, he had none at all and by the end wasn't even able to sign a player who offered his services free of charge. I'd like to see nat or one of his other critics come up with a better bargain than free and no wages either.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Don't let the facts get in the way of an attention seeking rant though LPP

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

whatsgoingon wrote:Don't let the facts get in the way of an attention seeking rant though LPP
Like what mate? He did do far better in Europe than was expected. he did beat barca over two legs. He was denied permission to re-sign Ameobi who offered to play for free. He did spend most of his final months with us unable to even bring in loans which had saved Dougie from the drop and chop in two successive seasons and none of that was his fault. So tell me which of those statements is inaccurate please.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:Don't let the facts get in the way of an attention seeking rant though LPP
 you'll get used to LPP, his posts tend to be a bit verbose  Very Happy

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Like what mate? He did do far better in Europe than was expected. he did beat barca over two legs. He was denied permission to re-sign Ameobi who offered to play for free. He did spend most of his final months with us unable to even bring in loans which had saved Dougie from the drop and chop in two successive seasons and none of that was his fault. So tell me which of those statements is inaccurate please.
I was agreeing with you mate, it was pointed at Nat's previous reply slating him

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:
 you'll get used to LPP, his posts tend to be a bit verbose  Very Happy
I've shortened them a lot norpig. I don't re-write Tolstoy's entire collection with every post anymore, just War and Peace. What more do you want? Smile

Next you'll be suggesting I write three words where just a single, solitary one would be enough to communicate my meaning in a clear and concise fashion. You'll probably say I am incapable of presenting my thoughts and opinions on any matter relating to Bolton Wanderers Football Club or any other subject in the entire history of the known universe in anything less than the time it takes for a universe to form, expand, contract and re-form through a new 'big bang' (or as professor Stephen Hawking would say it) in less than one hundred trillion years which is simply not remotely accurate because I've pared it down to a mere billion solar years or so per sentence. Smile

In fact my posts are now so short that I cannot help but describe myself as a model of brevity, an icon of conciseness, a paragon of clarity in a world where others write posts that go on for far too long and say far too much with far too little genuine meaning. Why, even this very post is at least ninety nine point nine nine nine percent shorter than I think it truly deserves to be given the gravity of the subject matter. Smile

I am sure you agree with me because to do otherwise would suggest you feel I have not done anything to curtail my loquacious and articulate comments on all matters related to Bolton Wanderers Football Club Ltd since the last time you suggested I may post comments that are even one word longer than is strictly and absolutely necessary in order to communicate my thinking on the subject matter at hand to my fellow posters on the Bolton Nuts Internet Forum's Bolton Wanderers Banter, Bolton Wanderers News, Bolton Wanderers Development or Wandering Minds areas of the Bolton Nuts Internet Forum. Smile

See? I can keep it short when I want to. Very Happy

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sorry mate stopped reading after What more do you want  Very Happy
were there any sci-fi references

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good luck to him, thought he deserved a crack at a better club than hibs.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He is a proven good Manager at Celtic, he masterminded a win against Barca in the CL, I think it's us, not any managers we've had, he'll probably win the league with Hibs next season.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:

Fuck knows, but I don't watch lower league football or have a team of scouts.

But I'll tell you this, if I brought 21 players to the club like Mr Lennon, I promise you at least 5 would turn out to be decent.

You said he had no choice, but he did - don't bloody sign them! Other managers have proven that you can put together a half decent team with no cash.

According to wanderlust we are paying Madine £8k per week though - do you honestly think he was the best option for that wage?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum