Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Long lost shops of Bolton

+10
Numpty 28723
Reebok Trotter
wanderlust
karlypants
whatsgoingon
Banks of the Croal
Boggersbelief
Sluffy
boltonbonce
bwfc71
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 18:15

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

As BHS closes its doors, in Bolton, this weekend, I was thinking about all the other shops, both chains and independent, that use to be in our once wonderful town.

C&A - (Dutch/German firm that closed all its UK stores due to higher competition from Primark and H&M)
Talibs - who didn't buy their jeans from there
Stolen from Ivor - always thought it was a very strange name
Timothy Whites - heard of the name but never knew what it was

2Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 18:26

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I bought all my flares from C&A. I particularly remember a nice purple pair,that went very well with my two tone shoes. What a sight I was. I've destroyed all the evidence.

3Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 18:33

Ivor was the name of the guy who actually owned stolen from ivor and the reasoning behind it is the prices where that good you was stealing from him.

Genius.

Loved that shop.  Best job and best boss i ever had.  (Well both my bosses, Tony first and then gail who also had the grey mare in darcy!)

4Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 18:51

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Timothy Whites was taken over by Boots.

It was on the corner of Newport and Great Moor Street's opposite the Wheat sheaf.

5Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 19:40

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Never heard of any of hear places

6Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 19:50

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Rumblelows.
Leccy Showrooms
Woolies there must be loads that have closed down.

7Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 20:13

Is Sweetens book shop still open?

8Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 20:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone remember Bullough's TV Rental?

9Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 20:43

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Whiteheads, my mum used to love going to their tea shop, I got my first proper football boots from Gibsons sports on deansgate and used to get my records from Derek guests and if I was flush loved his cafe downstairs

10Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 20:48

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

11Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 21:52

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Barb Dwyer wrote:Is Sweetens book shop still open?

It closed about 6 or 7 years ago - shame as I preferred Sweetens to the normal chain store book shops.

I only found out recently that in a previous life, Sweetens was actually a pub!

12Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 22:08

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Was sweetens near McDonalds and Holland and Barrett's in town?

13Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 22:12

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

karlypants wrote:Was sweetens near McDonalds and Holland and Barrett's in town?
Yes

14Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Wed Jul 27 2016, 22:30

bwfc71 wrote:
Barb Dwyer wrote:Is Sweetens book shop still open?

It closed about 6 or 7 years ago - shame as I preferred Sweetens to the normal chain store book shops.

I only found out recently that in a previous life, Sweetens was actually a pub!
It was always going to close, after Amazon and Tesco started selling books for ridiculously cheap prices. 

Remember going to Sweetens to get Terry Pratchett to sign one of his new books.

15Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 09:53

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Another one bites the dust, even though it was bought by Beales it has still always been an iconic part of the town centre.

ICONIC Bolton department store Beales is set to close.
Signs have gone up in the windows of the Deansgate store informing customers that it will be shutting down.
There are also notices stating that ‘everything must go’ — suggesting that a quick-fire sale of goods is now underway.
The Beales group, based in Bournemouth, was founded in 1881 and last year returned to private ownership in April 2015, when it was acquired by businessman Andrew Perloff.
In March, the group won the support of landlords to cut rents on 11 loss making stores across the country — including Bolton.

But it would appear that the Company Voluntary Arrangement has not succeeded in saving the town centre store.
Originally, the famous Bolton building opened under the name Whittakers in 1829 — with the name change taking place in 2011 in a bid to bring all stores under the Beales’ banner.
Former Staff member Ryan Carney, 27, from Harwood, worked at the shop when it was called Whittakers
He said: "I worked in the menswear department from the age of 16 to 18, it was my first proper job and gave me a really good insight into the world of work and the staff were really nice.
"But it was more than just a shop, it was a community hub and people would come to meet and spend the day there together.
"It is an iconic town centre establishment and it is disapointing to hear that it is closing down."
This news comes as a second blow to Bolton’s town centre economy, with Victoria Square store British Home Stores set to close on Sunday after 50 years in operation.

16Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 11:42

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Do cinemas like the Queen's, the Lido and the ABC count? Apparently at one time there were something like 50 cinemas in Bolton and the surrounding area, but these are the ones I remember - plus the Odeon of course.

17Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 11:43

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:Ivor was the name of the guy who actually owned stolen from ivor and the reasoning behind it is the prices where that good you was stealing from him.

Genius.

Loved that shop.  Best job and best boss i ever had.  (Well both my bosses, Tony first and then gail who also had the grey mare in darcy!)

Correct Johnny. The company was set up by Ivor Hazan in the early seventies. At it's peak it had forty shops but nowadays there  is only one left in Stockport.

18Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 11:44

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sids butchers, Newport Street.

DER  ( Domestic Electrical Rentals )

Colourvision.

19Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 12:22

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Colourvision was the one i was trying to think of last night. Was that exclusively rental and was it part of the coop at one point.

20Long lost shops of Bolton Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 12:45

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The UCP.

Long lost shops of Bolton Buildings_bolton

Long lost shops of Bolton Ucp-hot-tripe-for-cold-days-poster

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum