Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phil Parkinson admits he may have to be patient before making new signings

+4
Natasha Whittam
terenceanne
wanderlust
karlypants
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson’s wait for reinforcements looks set to continue as his side fought out a solid goalless draw against Preston North End.

There was plenty to admire about the organisation and application from the Whites, who arguably edged a game of very few clear cut chances.

But with Zach Clough and Jamie Proctor – both carrying minor injuries – not risked, Wanderers were unable to make a real dent in their neighbours’ defence.

Parkinson had called for action in the transfer market over the last week to plug the few remaining gaps in his squad before next weekend’s season opener against Sheffield United.

He admitted after the final whistle, however, that he may need to sit tight for now before being able to give out any new contracts.

“We know there are areas of the team we need to strengthen and one of them is at the top of the park,” he said after the goalless draw.

“Any manager will tell you he wants more signings and I am no different but the situation at this club is a little bit different to others, so we have to be a little bit more patient.

“What I do know is that we have a good group of players already in the building and that I have been very pleased with their application over the course of the summer.”

David Wheater and Frazer Richardson, both out of contract, played from the start while another trialist, Danny Collins, came on in the second half.

Parkinson was nevertheless happy with the performance against Preston, especially in a defensive sense.

“I thought we looked organised and defended well,” he said. “Preston played the same shape as we did and sometimes that can neutralise the game a bit.

“But they are a good side who were able to get stronger with the players they brought off the bench, so to come away on level terms, I’m quite happy with that.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

"Parkinson had called for action in the transfer market over the last week to plug the few remaining gaps in his squad before next weekend’s season opener against Sheffield United.

He admitted after the final whistle, however, that he may need to sit tight for now before being able to give out any new contracts."

Last week Parky was calling for an urgent meeting with KA to discuss signing a few players and lifting the embargo. I'm starting to think he has been told that more money has to be raised before he can think of spending any otherwise he would have already resigned Wheater to partner Beevers and possibly one or two others. 

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Welcome to BWFC Phil ....... you are told one thing when you take the job but then bollocked.

Where the Rob Holding money for example ? 

Five days to kick-off and were not sorted as per normal Sad

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:Five days to kick-off and were not sorted as per normal Sad

No team is "sorted" 5 days before kick-off when the transfer window has another month to run.

Bellend.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:
terenceanne wrote:Five days to kick-off and were not sorted as per normal Sad

No team is "sorted" 5 days before kick-off when the transfer window has another month to run.

Bellend.

So none of the 92 teams are sorted ....... sounds about right.  Does that Include Sheffied Utd ?  or will they just be a bit more sorted than us when you predict a tonking on Saturday?  a fluke like.
Shocked

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We all knew it wasn't going to be an easy summer and I doubt Phil had any illusions about there being massive wads of money to spend on transfers and wages when he came in. However I can't help wondering why the embargo is still in place at all, it was my understanding that we only needed to submit a set of books including spending forecasts to the League, something we couldn't do until we had appointed a manager and knew what back room staff he would want. Now Phil and his team are in place it seems obvious to me that we should be able to provide at least the bare bones of those figures so if it hasn't been done then why not?

And Nat, I'm sorry to disagree with you but most teams try to finish their dealings before the season starts if only to use pre-season as an opportunity to bring new team mates together and allow them to gel in time for competitive football. I realise there's always an odd one or two players that may become available in August but outside of the Premier League most deals are done and dusted in July.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Various articles quoting Phil and possibly Ken said clearly that some of the Rob Holding money would be available.  Obviously it's not happening. If so then just tell us...that's it...no more money. We'll go with what we have now and adjust our expectations accordingly. Just stop fooking lying to the supporters. Enough of that with Darkside & Big Eddie.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:Various articles quoting Phil and possibly Ken said clearly that some of the Rob Holding money would be available.  Obviously it's not happening. If so then just tell us...that's it...no more money. We'll go with what we have now and adjust our expectations accordingly. Just stop fooking lying to the supporters. Enough of that with Darkside & Big Eddie.

Yes, because all clubs tell supporters what funds they have available.

You really are making yourself look a right tit.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

We are running at a loss this season whilst we are carrying the big wages.

The loan Holdsworth took out from Blumarble was to pay the wages and the taxman when the club was initially bought - so someone had been paying all the wages since then PLUS the monthly repayments to Blumarble  - presumably Anderson.

Ok we sold Holden and have got some Season Ticket coming in but that doesn't cover all the running costs SO someone has to be investing into the club - either for the love of the club (unlikely) or for a future return from it (almost certainly).

I guess until the club can shift some of the current big wages there is not much point worrying too much about filing the outstanding accounts and thus lifting some if not all of the embargo because we aren't flushed with cash to bring in new faces.

The big wage players SHOULD be world beaters at this level, so if we are stuck with them at the end of the transfer window we 'should' be ok (I do find it hard to convince myself of that even though I've just wrote it!).

Thus the transfer position is not really worth bothering about much either way because it is out of our hands for now until the big wages go or come to an end.

As long as Anderson's plan was to ride out this year financially and kick on next year we don't have a problem.

If he convinced the Football League that there were funds in place for this season then who are we to say differently?

Maybe this season is all about sorting out the financial mess and halting the slide and next season is when things begin to turn upwards again for us.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Last time we were in the third tier we were actually there for four or five years and spent the first two of them basically treading water. I suspect this will be even more of that since we aren't going to shift big wage earners until the end of their contract unless someone comes in to offer them the same money (very unlikely imo) elsewhere. I believe that most if not all of them come to an end next summer so I suspect sluffy is right, that the boardroom sees this as a consolidation season, one to be got through without things getting any worse before attempting to truly kick on in 2017/18. Of course they can't say that to the fans especially not during the season ticket sales period but from a purely business point of view it would make sense.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Of course we can also hope that some of the big earners come to the party and contribute by showing they are better than people earning 10% of what they're earning, and taking us straight up.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

whatsgoingon wrote:Of course we can also hope that some of the big earners come to the party and contribute by showing they are better than people earning 10% of what they're earning, and taking us straight up.
That would be great but I'm not going to claim I expect it. In truth I will be satisfied with a top half finish and a half decent cup run this term. It's a low bar I know but given how the last few years have been I think it would only be setting myself up for yet more disappointment by aiming for say winning the league.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'm guessing when he left Bradford, he didn't realise he was signing for a club that "is a little bit different to others" in that "having to be a little bit more patient" in the transfer market sort of way.

Doesn't exactly fill you with that promotion pushing excitement does it? More, this season will be a stabilisation exercise at best.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What gets me is that players on Premiership wages should be running the show at this level but in the preseason, Spearing has improved on last year but is still not so far ahead of the opposition as to be a game changer and the same can be said of Mavies and others. Theoretically we have the best squad but when I look at the Sheff U team we are facing on Saturday I really can't see much in it.

wanderlust wrote:Spearing has improved on last year 

Based on what?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Based on what?

Championship Manager.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum