Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Save praise until the job is complete, says Mark Beevers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's a leading light in League One’s meanest defence and a contender for Wanderers’ most consistent player of the season so far – but plaudits really don’t interest Mark Beevers.

Five consecutive clean sheets put the modern day Whites within striking distance of a club record, which stretches back to the turn of the last century.

The team of 1900 didn’t even have a designated penalty area to defend as they won six out of seven games without conceding to seal promotion to the First Division, as the modern day pitch marking had not yet been introduced by the Football League.

Beevers and Co have turned protecting their 18-yard line into an art form in recent weeks, maintaining a solid base from which Wanderers have strung together five consecutive wins.

Just as they did at the start of the season, expectations of automatic promotion have started to rise on the terraces. The mood in the dressing room, however, is still grounded, according to the centre-back.

“It’s so far, so good, but it’s only a third of the way through the season,” Beevers told The Bolton News. “If we carry on playing like we have in the last few weeks then, yes, I think we’ve got a hell of a chance. But no-one can get ahead of themselves or let complacency creep in.

“There’s a reason results have improved of late, we’ve been solid, we’re good on the counter and we can score goals as well.

“I think the gaffer knows he doesn’t need to say much – the boys are a grounded group.

“There are players who’ve played down here before. Games like Bury or Millwall can be a banana skin but if you focus on what’s ahead of you, make sure you stick to the task, it’s half the job.”

Way back in the summer the big centre half asked that his team-mates be judged ‘on a cold Tuesday night in January’.

The statement was typical of a no-nonsense, no-frills attitude which was instilled in the squad from the moment Phil Parkinson took up the reins as manager.

Beevers’ performance was once again praised in the 2-0 win at Gigg Lane on Monday night but as the fans savoured the result, he had already turned his attention towards Port Vale.

“It’s not that cold yet,” he smiled, referring to his August interview. “But Bury away – I’ve played there a few times and it isn’t easy to get results. The pitch got choppy towards the end and they ended up running out of ideas in the end, playing balls in behind, trying to pass through us, but we stayed solid.

“I’m not going to blow my own trumpet, and it’s not just the back four. You can see what Spearo does for us, puts himself about all the time and his defensive work is excellent. Thorpey (Tom Thorpe) was playing really well until his unfortunate injury and Des (Derik Osede) has come in and been class. Teams have found it really difficult to break us down

“The confidence is key. You need to know the people alongside you and know the job you’re being asked to do.

“If you’ve got that right the way through the team then you’ve got every chance of keeping a clean sheet. Going forward, we have dangerous players who I know will score us goals.”

Like his defensive partner in crime David Wheater, Beevers has started to gain some notoriety on the terraces too.

Backed to the hilt during a particularly difficult return to The Den last week, the summer signing admits the support has been humbling.

“They have been fantastic,” he said. “At times it’s felt when you’re away from home like you are back at the Macron.

“They are a force when they get behind the team.

“I said on Twitter the other day I appreciate everything that comes my way – but I have to earn it.

I have to go out there and perform.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum