Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gaz will be a goal-getter, says assistant Parkin

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Steve Parkin reckons the hard work will eventually pay off for struggling striker Gary Madine.

Despite Wanderers’ fine run of recent form the 26-year-old front man has failed to hit the target in his last nine starts.

Madine – who had scored three in his first six outings - has gained plenty of credit for his work-rate and has kept his place in Phil Parkinson’s side ahead of Jamie Proctor throughout most of October.

Assistant boss Parkin believes he is due a change of luck in front of goal, having had another fruitless afternoon in the victory over Port Vale at the weekend.

“I think you can see he was getting a little anxious,” he told The Bolton News. “You can talk about his goals but you have to look at the bigger picture.

“The two centre-halves had a real rough day against him. He didn’t let them settle at all and won his fair share in the air.

“It will only be a matter of time before he starts scoring. He looks fitter, he’s been working very hard in training and I think he’s putting a right shift in for the team. And the good thing is that he heads it out of the box at the other end as well, which is very important.

“He’s a nice kid and he wants to do well. He wants to be successful and score goals like any striker and I am sure it will come.”

Wanderers continue to boast the best defensive record in the division, conceding their first goal in six games on Saturday. Parkin was encouraged by the players’ reaction after Vale had grabbed their second-half consolation, however, and feels the ‘clean sheet mentality’ he and the staff had fostered in their previous job is starting to manifest itself at the Macron.

“We work really hard at keeping clean sheet and it’s imperative in any season,” he said.

“We had it at our last club, I think there were 23 at Bradford last season.

“It’s disappointing to concede one after so long, it’ll always happen, one will always creep in eventually. It’s about how you react then, and the lads saw the game through.”

Meanwhile, tickets for Saturday’s FA Cup first round clash with Grimsby Town have gone on open sale priced at £12 for adults and £5 concessions.

Season ticket holders can purchase their seat for £10 if bought before Friday at 5.30pm.

Only the lower tiers of the Macron will be opened.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum