Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

End justifies means for Wanderers' Wembley dreamer Liam

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Liam Trotter believes the incentive of Wembley should help Wanderers focus on making the knockout stages of the Checkatrade Trophy.

The midfielder missed out on Scunthorpe United’s big day out in 2009 because he was cup-tied but hopes to inch the Whites a step closer to the national stadium with a win at Cheltenham.

Things are delicately poised in Group A, where Everton’s Under-23s, Blackpool, Cheltenham and Wanderers all stand on three points. Only a win tonight will guarantee qualification to a regionalised knockout round.

Though Trotter disagrees with the way organisers have revamped the competition this season, he still feels there is enough motivation for the squad heading to Gloucestershire for their first-ever competitive meeting with the Robins.

“There are a lot of things about this tournament, strange decisions which have been made,” he told The Bolton News. “I think personally that bringing Under-23 teams into the competition devalues it, the organisers have done that themselves, and yet they still have rules about playing five players from the previous game.

“It’s an odd competition but if the manager makes changes it’s a chance for lads to get some game time, if he doesn’t then the lads who have been playing should want to continue the momentum. At the end of it, I got to the final with Scunthorpe even though I wasn’t allowed to play. It’s a great occasion.

“If you can get all the way through it all seems worth it. It’s a great day out and an opportunity to win a trophy.

“We have to take it very seriously. This is a chance to go to Wembley and I’m sure our fans would like to do that. We’d like to get as far as we can.”

Trotter scored the only goal against his former club Grimsby on Saturday to secure victory in the FA Cup – making it seven in a row for Wanderers.

It is 26 years since the club managed eight straight wins, that run coming in the midst of a club record 23-game unbeaten streak under Phil Neal.

And, for the first time this season, Trotter feels the squad is starting to show its full potential.

“We started the season well but I thought there were a few games where we were – I wouldn’t say lucky – but the performances weren’t great and we still got results,” he explained.

“Now I think we’re managing both. The results are there and we’re putting the performances in to warrant them too. Everyone has been bringing to the table exactly what they can offer.”

Trotter’s chance in midfield came as a result of Jay Spearing’s unfortunate groin injury suffered 10 minutes before kick-off against Port Vale a couple of weeks ago.

After a spell out of the side, he seized his opportunity to reclaim a place. And with Phil Parkinson likely to offer more chances at Cheltenham, Trotter believes others could force their way into the manager’s plans for a regular start.

“When you are out of the team and they are doing well you have to keep your head on, you have to understand you are not going to walk into it,” he said.

“You must be ready for the opportunity.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum