Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Le Fondre tells outgoing Forest striker Clough: "The Golden Boot is mine!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Adam Le Fondre had already warned Wanderers he planned to finish as the club’s top scorer, even before setting foot through the door.

The striker sent a message to Zach Clough – who still leads the charts with nine despite his move to Nottingham Forest – that he planned to overtake him before the season was through.

Le Fondre owns one Bolton Golden Boot from 2015, when he scored eight goals in 17 games during his first loan spell at the club.

He has designs on a second but regrets not having the chance to play alongside Clough again, following his £2.5million move to the City Ground last week.

“I had already told him that I was taking the top goal-scorer trophy off him whether he was here or not,” he told The Bolton News. “I spoke to Cloughy quite a bit, we have a good relationship, and he already knew I was on penalties.

“I enjoyed playing alongside him when I was here last time and he’s a good lad. Of course he’ll be a big miss to the team but he’s gone to try and move his career forward at Forest and all the lads wish him well in that.”

Clough made his debut for Forest in a 2-1 win over Aston Villa and Le Fondre has little doubt that the 21-year-old can go and play at the highest level.

“If I was to offer him any advice based on my experience I’d say you need to work harder than ever before,” he said. “That is the key in the Championship. You can’t let your levels drop below those of the next person, or you are out of the team.

“He won’t have any problem stepping back up there because obviously he’s played a couple of seasons.

“When I went to Reading from Rotherham it was a really big step – two divisions – and I had to adjust quickly.

“I got goals that season and we got promoted to the Premier League. I got goals there too.

“Zach can go and play at that level. He has got all the talent and the attitude you need.”

Le Fondre’s arrival at Wanderers sparked an unprecedented rush for shirt lettering at the club shop last week, with stocks running low.

He played the last 12 minutes at MK Dons on Saturday but was forced to drop back into midfield after a late injury to Lawrie Wilson.

The striker is looking forward to stepping back out in front of the Wanderers fans at the Macron this weekend against Walsall, followed quickly by another home clash with one of his former clubs, Rochdale.

“For me it’s a chance to rebuild a reputation and I can only do that by playing football and scoring goals,” he said. “It feels like returning to Bolton has been a long time coming. I know a lot has happened here in the last couple of years but it doesn’t feel like a different club to me. I know plenty of the lads and the people around the place. I think that’s probably because the fans have always stayed in touch.”

Clough’s arrival at Forest has also been well-received, with former City Ground favourite Stan Collymore tipping him to play in the Premier League before much longer.

“Everybody that I’ve spoken to about him, that’s watched him, said he’s very exciting and at the right age,” said Collymore.

“He comes in hungry, he’s not coming in just to play a few games or on massive wages and looking to move on elsewhere.

“He’s had a really good stint at Bolton, and he’s gone ‘right, now’s the time to go to Forest’ and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he’s here three, four or maybe five years,” Collymore told the Nottingham Post.

“Get the best out of him, and see where it ends up. With a new ownership, surround him with good quality players, he’s certainly got the ability to go all the way and play in the Premier League. I don’t think anyone’s doubting that.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum