Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

U23s: Bolton Wanderers 2-2 Coventry City

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Goals from both Conor Wilkinson and Liam Trotter ensured David Lee’s side extended their unbeaten run to six games as they shared the spoils with their Coventry City counterparts.

It was the visitors who started the brightest, Kyle Spence found an unmarked Michael Folivi, however, the Coventry City man fired wide from six yards out.

Wanderers had shouts for a penalty denied following a foul on Reece Wabara, before Max Clayton’s header went narrowly over the crossbar.

Bolton soon found the opening goal of the game thanks to a wonderful Conor Wilkinson strike. Collecting the ball from Liam Trotter’s interception the forward curled the ball past Addai from outside the box, a deserved goal given his excellent display throughout.

However, on 39 minutes the visitors drew level, the dangerous Folivi worked his way through a crowded box before firing past James Aspinall.

With the first half drawing to a close, Sam Lavelle almost regained the lead, his header ended just wide of the post.

Watched by a host of senior players including Gary Madine, David Wheater, Dean Moxey and Ben Alnwick the sides went in level at the break,

SECOND HALF

Immediately following the restart, Wilkinson almost had his second of the game, however, Addai denied the forward from close range.

The Coventry keeper proved to be a thorn in the side of Wanderers as he denied both Trotter and Clayton within quick succession.

His saves proved a catalyst for the Sky Blues as in the 71st minute, Folivi scored his second of the game, after picking up the ball on the left, the forward drove inside before finishing well into the near post.

Once again Addai frustrated the Whites, this time saving from both Newell and Tom Thorpe. 

On the 87th minute, Folivi had the chance to put the game to bed and complete his hat-trick. Following a foul from Lavelle on Spence the referee pointed to the spot. Unfortunately for City, Aspinall was on hand to save down to his left and keep Bolton in the game.

The save proved to be vital as Trotter’s deflected volley crept into the bottom corner with just 45 seconds left in injury time.

FULL TIME

Speaking to bwfc.co.uk after the final whistle Lee said “I think the overall performance and the attitude of the players was excellent.

“From Coventry’s perspective they were always going to test us a little, but the application and the attitude of the players was superb

“I think on reflection we had the better chances and should’ve won the game, I know we scored a late goal but over the 90 minutes, I think we done enough as individuals and a group to win the game.

“I’ve told the players, not to look it as the winning run has stopped, we’ve had five wins and a draw so over the six games the players have given their maximum and given everything, and it’s a great mentality within the Club that they don’t want to get beat.

“Even at 2-1 down with not much added time we got that second goal and it shows the mentality of the football Club that we don’t want to get beat.

“On reflection, I’m very happy with the individual's attitude, the young players have played with a good set of professional players and they’ve been able to play at Macron Stadium in front of Phil Parkinson and his staff.”

Assistant manager Tony Kelly added, “It’ was a great experience for the young lads tonight, they’ll learn a lot from it.

"I think we should praise the first-team players as well because their attitude was terrific.”

Bolton: Aspinall, Solomon, Wabara, Thorpe, Lavelle, Brockbank, Trotter, Perry, Wilkinson, Clayton, Karacan.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum