Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parky and Wanderers in the Championship

+12
NickFazer
boltonbonce
Boggersbelief
wanderlust
gloswhite
wessy
Cajunboy
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
observer
BoltonTillIDie
doffcocker
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Was talking to Kevin Nolan's cousin this morning,and he was saying how Kevin would love,one day,to come back to the club.
Before the takeover went through,Deano phoned him,with an offer of the managers job. Sadly,things got a bit complicated and started to drag on,and it fell through.
He can come back any time for me.

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

No offence to Kevin Nolan (or his cousin) but that's just further proof of what an utter cockwomble Holdsworth is in my book.

Bullet well and truly dodged.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wouldn't want Kevin back as a manager. But I'd certainly take him as part of the back room team.
Unless,of course,he thinks he's above such a job.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:I'd keep Mark Davies on a pay as you play deal, our best player by miles on his day

Which day? I can't remember any.

One of the worst signings in our history.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm wondering if there's going to be a huge shake up in the summer on and off the pitch.
KA calling in the minor shareholders? Bought out Deano? Looks a bit like he's clearing the decks for new investors/owners.
Add all those players out of contract and a squad that would currently struggle in the Championship and maybe, just maybe we might be looking at a completely different group next year.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Survival would be the goal I would imagine. KA is already committed to cutting wages and moving players out. So where are the finances to bring in Champs quality players etc.  We can presume the embargo will be lifted and the club might get back to being viable again. That wouldn't be too bad considering the events of the last few years.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:I'd keep Mark Davies on a pay as you play deal, our best player by miles on his day

Which day? I can't remember any.

One of the worst signings in our history.
A huge disappointment. Never looked like fulfilling his potential.

Not bad in the tattoo department.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My main worry is KA saying he will cut wages for next season, it doesn't send out a good message to the players who have potentially got us promoted does it?

Granted there are a few on big wages who can go like Amos, Trotter and Mavies but will it be enough to keep our better players on wages they are happy with?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can't help feeling we're jumping the gun a bit with this thread. I don't happen to have any chickens,but if I did,I wouldn't be counting them.
If you're of the opinion that the run in can't go tits up,then think again.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:My main worry is KA saying he will cut wages for next season, it doesn't send out a good message to the players who have potentially got us promoted does it?

Granted there are a few on big wages who can go like Amos, Trotter and Mavies but will it be enough to keep our better players on wages they are happy with?

I think you might have misunderstood something somewhere about this.

Players who are contracted into next season and beyond cannot have their wages lowered without their agreement - that is why they (and we) have contracts of employment.

Those out of contract can be offered reduced wages but it is up to them to accept this or find another club who will pay them more - even then they may not get as much as we were paying them.

I think it is generally acknowledged now that contracts awarded under the Gartside administration were overly generous to say the least!

So much so that players like Baptiste, Amos and Hall ended up on loan at other clubs because we could not afford their wages or appearance payment rewards outright!

Wheater is an example of someone who last season came out of contract with us and chose to resign with us for another season on much reduced terms.

So it does not necessarily follow that out off contract players at the end of the season will have better offers to go to than the reduced contracts that we may offer them.

At the end of the day the Anderson administration does look to be being more realistic when it comes to the business of running the club within our financial means.

I believe we are still running at a loss of something like £800k per month until the end of the season in July and clearly that isn't sustainable if we resigned everyone out of contract on the same terms.

Also there are clearly as good players out there who we probably have never heard of (Lusty excluded of course) who would be on more reasonable wages than we have be paying - for instance how many of us knew about Alnwick, Howard, or even Morais before we signed them?

It seems to me that we did underperform somewhat in the Championship last season and that poor management and discipline within the club has now been addressed to some extent - we no longer have a manager asking his bit on the side about team selection for instance!

Wigan went up as Champions last season and look to be coming straight back down again, so whatever we do, we've got to strengthen the team somehow to be competitive next season.

We also need to be able to develop other game strategy's other than be reliant on Madine being our key outfield player!

Parkinson has done very well so far considering the hand he's been dealt - hopefully he will make the best of things next season too!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We still have a long way to go before we are promoted, but what happens beyond that is dependent on who owns us, how much money they are willing to invest in the team and how ambitious they are.
I would expect KA to talk about cutting wages if he remains the owner without further investment, especially when you look at the size of the contracts the likes of Mavies and Prats are on. But new owners could mean a whole new ball game.

If we don't get promoted it will be a disaster of epic proportions.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:We still have a long way to go before we are promoted...

We could be promoted as soon as Saturday if the results go in our favour.

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:

I could win the lottery tomorrow if the balls come out in my favour but it's not guaranteed.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

I bloody well hope so!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i was only referring to out of contract players Sluffy, it just sends out the wrong message to me -  well done on promotion lads but if you want to stay and play in a higher division we are going to pay you less!

Wheater is a different case, we went down and he didn't seem to have many options due to his injury issues, this time round it will be a lot different i would think.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:i was only referring to out of contract players Sluffy, it just sends out the wrong message to me -  well done on promotion lads but if you want to stay and play in a higher division we are going to pay you less!

Well it still isn't the same.

Several of those coming out of contract are on Premier wages - renewing contracts on that basis would be insane and unsustainable for the club - and that is why they won't be doing it - even those players involved - Mavies, Spearing, etc, would understand that.

Similarly totally overpriced wages given to the likes of Trotter, Moxey, etc, won't be handed out to them again - although I doubt we would even want to retain them even if they offered to play for free!

As far as I can understand it these are the players out of contract in the summer -

Buxton
Moxey
Dervite
Spearing
Madine
Mavis
Trotter
Clayton
Wilson
Morais
Wabara
Walker
Wheater
Jaaskelainen

with these being contracted for next year and beyond - Howard, Alnwick, Beevers, Derik, Pratley, Chris Taylor, Proctor, Wilkinson are contracted to June 2018; Amos and Vela to June 2019.

The kids out of contract are - Alex Honeyball, Callum Spooner, Alex Perry and George Newell.

The rest are loanees - many of whom will be out of contract (I think Long and Otabar are the only two who are not(?).

To be honest I don't really think that other than the few obvious over paid under performers such as Mavies, Trotter, etc, that any other key players for us this season will have vastly different contract renewal offers than they are already on.

The problem with the wages still lies with the likes of money Pratley, Amos and (believe it or not) Wilkinson are still on for yet another season (or two seasons in the case of Amos).

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:i was only referring to out of contract players Sluffy, it just sends out the wrong message to me -  well done on promotion lads but if you want to stay and play in a higher division we are going to pay you less!
I think KA was referring to the overall wage bill rather than individual player's wages. 

If he lets Mavies and a few others go we could still recruit and reduce the overall wage bill at the same time. I think it's more of a case of "well done on promotion lads but if you want more than you are currently earning you can p*** off"

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Its a tough balancing act i get that, i just hope we can retain the likes of Wheater and Spearing if and when we go up as we will need them next season. Plenty of that list can go and are long overdue getting the boot. Whether we can recruit better players for the money we will have available is another question though.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Its a tough balancing act i get that, i just hope we can retain the likes of Wheater and Spearing if and when we go up as we will need them next season. Plenty of that list can go and are long overdue getting the boot. Whether we can recruit better players for the money we will have available is another question though.
But we have no idea how much money will be available for transfers though. If Ken sells to the right buyer we could have a £200 million budget. If he doesn't we could be scouring Bolton Sunday League for a striker.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

How much is promotion worth to the club ?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum