Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thrifty parenting.

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Thrifty parenting. Empty Thrifty parenting. Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Ok, so following on from kids not being to play out i thought id share a few thrifty tips for any other parents already pulling there hair out in the school hols.

1st - groupon

If you are hoing to one of these trampoline things get on groupon and save some dollar.  So far off there we have got;

Total ninja - saved 25% its a ninja academy assault course and includes entry, a headband and a slushy

Jump ninja - trampoline place - saved 50%  bargain!

Manchester giants game vs select usa team in sept. (3rd) saved 36% on a fsmily ticket for two adults and 3 kids

Free stuff

Check the council website and local shopping centre websites.  So far we have managed to go to an animal kingdom in eccles library where they got to hold tarantulas, snakes meerkats etc.  

Yesterday we went to the lowry for magic mike.  A wizard who does a free magic show

We are at a coding and welding thing on saturday on walkden run by a company called make stuff.  We have been to one before and my lad loved it.  Well worth a look.

Not so free but cheap

Power up at the mosi.  We are going to this tomorrow and its a couple of hours playing rare and retro games and stuff.  Computer games.  

Cinemas.  Vue have an offer on for any film in the simmer holidays its a fiver a ticket.  The light cinema in bolton i think its a fiver before 12.

We went bowling roo at the middlebrook but that was about 30quid for one game for 4 of us.  So maybe check groupon for any bowling deals.

Prize find of the holidays has to be free tickets from lost in tv for ninja warrior uk being filmed on tuesday at the gmex.

Pic of me and kammy hopefully to follow Smile

Anyone else got any good tips or finds?

2Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

My daughter is all grown up now and money isn't as tight as it once was but when it was, one of the things I used to do was when visiting the two for one places such as Alton Towers, or Warwick Castle (both great days out if you've never been). I firstly had collected the 2 for 1 coupons from out the magazines or off a cereal packet or from wherever - but collected one for each of us.

Then when we were queueing up to go in we asked around for people who were going in paying full price and simply asked if we could walk in with them using our vouchers (so we got in for free!).  Not being completely a tight wad I always gave them a fiver or so, as a way of thank you to buy themselves an ice-cream or something inside.

No one seemed to mind, the venue did not lose out as they got the same entrance money as if we had just given one of our vouchers to someone who did not have any - ie two people got in only one paid, or 4 people got in only two paid, etc, and once inside we spent money on all sorts such as lunch, ice cream, cold drinks, souvenirs, etc, etc.

These days I'm classified as a concession myself!

3Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:12 am

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Another tip that I use to this day is that if you are ever in a restaurant (it has to be a licensed premises) and you sit down and the first thing they do is send a waiter for your drinks order - ask for a glass of tap water - they have to provide that for free.

As the long suffering driver when I take the family out, I do begrudge paying three, four or even more times the cost for a soft drink from what you would pay at your local supermarket.

I grit my teeth and let the family order what they want but refuse to be ripped off myself for a simple glass of Pepsi.

It's probably saved me a small fortune over they years and certainly has been better for my health!

4Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:18 am

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

y2johnny wrote:Prize find of the holidays has to be free tickets from lost in tv for ninja warrior uk being filmed on tuesday at the gmex.
I've got tickets for Ninja Warrior uk on Tuesday 22nd. My 10 year old can't wait.

5Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Bwfc1958 wrote:
y2johnny wrote:Prize find of the holidays has to be free tickets from lost in tv for ninja warrior uk being filmed on tuesday at the gmex.
I've got tickets for Ninja Warrior uk on Tuesday 22nd. My 10 year old can't wait.
Cant wait.  Ill update on tuesday if there is anything i can tell you to make it easier.  

Just been to power up at the mosi.  A couple of hours playing everything from the bbc and zx spectrum to vr and the new switch.

It was good.  Not overly busy but thatd why i booked the early slots.

6Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Just in case you didn't know Johnny/58/anyone else -

Blackpool Air Show is back this weekend - and it's free

Blackpool's incredible air show is back this weekend - and the world famous Red Arrows will be soaring over the promenade.
The free event takes place on Saturday, August 12 and Sunday, August 13 on Blackpool Promenade, and this year looks set to be bigger than ever before.

What time does it start?
The show starts at around 1.30pm on both days, with the best viewing points on the promenade between North and Central Piers. It is set to finish at around 4.20pm.
Visitors are urged to get to the resort early though as it gets very busy.
What's on?
The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, which features a Spitfire, Hurricane and a Lancaster Bomber, will take part in a patriotic display and crowds will also be able to see an RAF Typhoon thunder across the horizon.

Loads more info here -

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/family-kids-news/blackpool-air-show-2017-times-13459314

7Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

who needs all these fancy outings? Just do what we do and dump the kids at the childminders all over the holidays  Very Happy

Good luck anyone wanting to get to Blackpool on the train this weekend, Bolton station is closed for 2 weeks!

8Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:47 pm

Was thinking of going to the airshow but there is also a viking thing on at tatton park.  My lad loves horrible histories so is really excited for this.

9Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

both my 2 love horrible histories as well especially my 5 year old, she's a history buff already  Very Happy

You should look out for the Horrible Christmas live show they do Johnny, Mrs Pig took our 2 last Christmas to the Lowry and they loved it. I think they are doing something similar this year?

10Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Norpig wrote:both my 2 love horrible histories as well especially my 5 year old, she's a history buff already  Very Happy

You should look out for the Horrible Christmas live show they do Johnny, Mrs Pig took our 2 last Christmas to the Lowry and they loved it. I think they are doing something similar this year?
My lad went to it it.  Funny if they was there at the same time Smile

11Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Message for 58.

Not sure if it will be a problem for you (has been for us) but ive just printed out the ninja warrior uk tickets and in the small print it says kids under 8 will not be admitted.

12Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Been to haigh hall today.  Wow.  Its great there.  Theres adventure golf, crazy golf which is a pound each, one of them tree top climbing things, a huge adventure playground and even more.  Well worth a trip out.

13Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:09 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:Been to haigh hall today.  Wow.  Its great there.  Theres adventure golf, crazy golf which is a pound each, one of them tree top climbing things, a huge adventure playground and even more.  Well worth a trip out.

Who looked after your kids?

14Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

y2johnny wrote:Been to haigh hall today.  Wow.  Its great there.  Theres adventure golf, crazy golf which is a pound each, one of them tree top climbing things, a huge adventure playground and even more.  Well worth a trip out.

you can play football golf there now as well, me and the youngest did it last year. :footy:

15Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:51 pm

Fabians Right Peg wrote:

you can play football golf there now as well, me and the youngest did it last year. :footy:
We was looking at that and i really fancy it.  Would it be suitable for an 8 year old who isnt really into footy ?

16Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Who looked after your kids?
 They looked after me Smile

17Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:41 am

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

y2johnny wrote:
Fabians Right Peg wrote:

We was looking at that and i really fancy it.  Would it be suitable for an 8 year old who isnt really into footy ?

Yep, I played with the daughter, she is 12 and not into playing much so he should be fine, I think you can only do it on certain days though so you may want to check before turning up.

18Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Fabians Right Peg wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
Fabians Right Peg wrote:

Yep, I played with the daughter, she is 12 and not into playing much so he should be fine, I think you can only do it on certain days though so you may want to check before turning up.
Cheers Fab.  May give it a go with him then

19Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:39 pm

Another message for 58!!!

Ref: ninja warrior uk.  We got there at ten past 5.  Queued for an hour and a half and we was towards the back of the queue.

Luckily ended up with decent seats near the wall.  There are zero places for snacks drinks or foods there so take snacks with you.  A bit of hanging about while they do snippets and stuff and a lot of standing and sitting. 

Foam fingers are 3 quid each or 2 for a fiver.  

Not bad though once it gets going. DONT PARK ON AN NCP CAR PARK

cost me 18 quid for the 4 and a half hours.

20Thrifty parenting. Empty Re: Thrifty parenting. Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Yesterday we went to Ninja Warrior. I don't know about you Johnny, but by the end I couldn't wait to get out of there. We turned up at 1 o'clock and were number 170 in the queue. We walked out of there at 7pm by which time I had well and truly lost the will to live. Once you've seen a couple of contestants come past you've seen them all and it became very tedious towards the end. 

The place had practically emptied by the time the last 10 contestants had gone round. Definitely not something I'll be rushing to get tickets for again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum