Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton nab Josh Magennis for cut-price fee from Charlton Athletic

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

WANDERERS are about to make their first cash signing in more than three years with the £200,000 capture of Charlton Athletic’s Josh Magennis.
The Northern Ireland international is poised to sign a two-year deal at Bolton and is likely to be unveiled by the club on Monday.
Phil Parkinson had a £500,000 bid for the 27-year-old turned down by Charlton in January when he was seeking to replace Cardiff City-bound Gary Madine.
Ken Anderson has now bartered a deal for less than half that price – but Parkinson is also understood to be keen on adding another front man to his ranks, and could now revive his chase for Bradford City’s Charlie Wyke.

Magennis will be the first player Wanderers have paid an upfront fee for since Filip Twardzik in January 2015.
Charlton boss Lee Bowyer told the South London Press this afternoon that he expected the deal to go through quickly.
“I know there has been an agreement, he went there yesterday for what looks like a medical and to agree terms,” he said.
“Josh was good for me and a great professional around the place – he was a leader and a big personality.

“He will be missed, but that’s football. I wish him all the best and hopefully he’ll be able to have a good season and career for Bolton.
“I can’t see him not signing for them and coming back, but I hope he says goodbye first.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16384372.bolton-nab-josh-magennis-for-cut-price-fee-from-charlton-athletic/

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Love him or hate him, nobody can disagree that Ken is a shrewd negotiator. First £6 milliom for Madine now 200k Magennis.

Last edited by Leeds_Trotter on Sun Jul 29 2018, 10:28; edited 1 time in total

Let’s wait and see how good Magennis is before you crawl up Ken anymore.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

He fits the profile of what we should be aiming for in terms of recruitment, young, hungry to progress and if he does well good re-sale value.

He’s 27 so young is a stretch for me. Agree with your profile of what we should be aiming for though Nick.

If Magennis is in addition to another striker I’ll be okay with it. But if this is our big money move for the summer I think we’re going to struggle to survive this year.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

As always you don't really know until he's played a few games. Didn't realise he was 27 but its better than 37  Very Happy

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

At 300K he's a bargain however you cut it. Even if he doesn't work out for us we should be able to recoup that pretty easily even if he went to League Two. I agree by himself he's not enough but this has to be seen as a very smart deal especially if his wages aren't massive which they likely aren't.

I actually quite rate him anyway, he's not world class of course but I think he'll do just fine in the championship.

It’s the first few we’ve paid in 3 years? So actually, whichever way you cut it, this is a sizeable outlay for a player especially when you consider we couldn’t afford to pay bonus payments a few weeks ago.

I’d be interested to know what you rate about him LPP? Have you seen much of him play? He’s a workhorse who’s good in the air - at the moment we’re really lacking in quality up front I’m not sure this changes that.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I rate him as a target man and hold up player. I've seen him myself a few times but my brother's seen more and we both feel that with a half decent midfield the lad could bang in 15 goals or more which would be nothing to be sniffed at. I don't think he's ever going to set the world alight but he's solid and knows where the goal is. I think he'd be at his best as part of a two man attack to be honest but there's no doubt in my mind that for this outlay we've got a very, very good deal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum