Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's been a good start but we can still improve, says Parkinson

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Few, if any, could have predicted Wanderers’ blistering start to the season.

But, while Phil Parkinson and his squad have so far defied the odds and shot down their doubters in the short term, the manager is looking for things to get even better at Bolton.

Delighted with the condition of his returning players, Parkinson appears to have recruited wisely and the two groups have merged seamlessly thus far.

Not that he is about to let their standards slip, however.

“I think there is improvement in the team, without a doubt,” said Parkinson after the win at home to Birmingham took his side up to third. “There are players who have come in and are getting to know us and players who are still learning the division, like [Erhun] Oztumer in particular.

“I do feel there is room for improvement and it’s up to myself and the rest of the staff, and themselves, to keep improving.

“We’re not getting carried away, we know there are a lot of areas where we have to improve, and we’ll start that process tomorrow and have a good look at the tape of the game and look at where we can get better.

“I always think the first few days of pre-season are a great indicator and the likes of David Wheater and Andy Taylor, to name just two, came back in terrific shape and you can see that on the pitch, and the new lads who’ve come in have all mixed in well with the group. It’s enjoyable working with them.

“Gary [O’Neil] and Oz, coming into the team they will get better, especially Oz, it’s his first season in the Championship, he had a terrific debut at Leeds and it’s his first taste of the Championship.

“I think the supporters have seen he’s got quality and he’ll get better and better.

“I’m confident we can keep improving as a squad.”

Parkinson’s substitutions in the second half had just the desired effect on Wednesday night, with Sammy Ameobi and Will Buckley having an impact from the bench.

It was Ameobi’s ball across that led to Buckley’s winning goal – though Josh Magennis was still claiming he got the last touch as he made his way out of the dressing room.

And Parkinson continues to stress the importance of his squad on match days, rather than just the 11 playing for the off.

“Sammy and Bucko’s energy was great,” he told The Bolton News. “Bucko deserves a special mention from me tonight, he came off at half time at Reading with a bit of a tight thigh but came in the next day and said ‘it’s just tightness, I want to train’ and that’s a new Will Buckley for me.

“Last year maybe he’d have had to be perfect to put himself up to play but he wanted to be out there tonight. When he came on he was great.

“I’m pleased, I thought the subs did great for us, I have to give them a mention.

“On Saturday Yanic [Wildschut] has come off the bench and scored, I feel subs are important at any level but perhaps more in the Championship, because of the speed of the games, and obviously the games come thick and fast.

“Bucko, Sammy and Clayton all made contributions in different ways tonight.”

His hard-working troops will get to rest once two more games are in the bag, with the international break coming in a fortnight.

If his players continue to show the same commitment and determination when they face Sheffield United tomorrow and at Preston a week later he feels they can still be riding high over their well-earned rest.

“The international break is a kind of line we can get to and reassess from there,” he added. “We’ve got two games to get to that break and we know we’ve got to keep the work ethic high.

“We couldn’t let what happened in the Bristol City game happen again, you have to learn lessons as you go along and I think we did that against Birmingham.

“The intensity of our play was there tonight. It’s not always great but the intensity levels were good.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum