Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

There are no points given for style, says Whites 'colossus' Beevers

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The centre-back was called ‘a colossus’ by Phil Parkinson on a night when, facing up to the likes of Omar Bogle and Lukas Jutkiewicz, Beevers and David Wheater left it all on the pitch to help preserve a clean sheet.

And although there will be days when the football is easier on the eye Beevers is more than satisfied with points on the board – points that took Wanderers to third in the Championship table.

“It’s not about being the better team on the night, is it? For me, I don’t think they were any better than us but we’ve come through it and dealt with them,” he said.

“We knew it wasn’t going to be a pretty game.

“They’re a similar team to us in many aspects and it was a toe-to-toe game. We came out on top and long may that continue.

“It’s the best win of the season for us, when you’ve had to defend for periods of the game where they lump it forward to two big guys up top and we knew we had to win first balls and second balls, we knew we’d have to do that for 90 minutes, it’s a tough shift.

“It was a team performance and when they were coming at us, myself, Wheats, Pav, Tayls, whoever it was was putting their bodies on the line blocking shots.

“That’s what we’re paid to do, make blocks and heads balls out of the box.

“We did that tonight, we knew we’d have plenty of it to do because of the opposition we were playing, and we did it and got the clean sheet. To dig deep, get a clean sheet and nick the goal as well is fantastic for us.

“So to come away with all three points having done that is massively satisfying.

“For me I think we deserved it too.”

Ahead of Sheffield United’s visit tomorrow the defender, now in his third season with the Whites is expecting another tough afternoon.

Chris Wilder’s side beat Wanderers to the League One title in 2017 and while the Whites needed their last-gasp escape, Sheffield United suffered far fewer sleepless nights with a 10th-placed finish.

And the Barnsley-born defender, who learned his trade at Sheffield Wednesday, is expecting a barracking when the Owls’ cross-city rivals come to town.

“I always get a nice welcome from them,” he laughed. “There’s quite a bit of rivalry between us and Sheffield United, going back to League One.

“When Gaz [Madine] was here he took a lot of the limelight to be fair, so it’s upsetting now he’s gone.

“But it’s just another game for us, we’ll prepare exactly the same as we have in the first four games and we’ll look to get another win on the board.

“We’re four games in and I don’t think anyone could have dreamt of a start like we’ve had.

“But we have and we have to build on that because it’s a long old season.”

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Colossus?  Very Happy

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:Colossus?  Very Happy
I have to say I was thinking the exact same thing. Now if you want to call Wheater a 'colossus' you might have a point but my name for Beevers so far this season is "The Weakest Link" to be honest.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum