Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton's Gary O'Neil puts Bristol City injury issues behind him

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The midfielder saw a two-year spell at Bristol City blighted by a recurring hamstring problem which eventually required surgery – and worryingly found himself on the free agents list at the age of 35.

After accepting an offer from Phil Parkinson to train with Bolton and gain fitness in the summer he earned a short-term deal, and has since proved a steadying influence in the club’s impressive start to the Championship campaign.

“Last season wasn’t really anyone’s fault,” he told The Bolton News. “It was an unfortunate injury that took ages to diagnose. I kept trying to play and then got taken back out.

“When I finally got the surgery I have been fine ever since. Hopefully that can continue now because I have really enjoyed playing for Bolton.

“Anyone would enjoy this start, especially coming off the kind of season this club had last time. To have this many points in the bag so early has exceeded everyone’s expectations.”

O’Neil is closing in on 500 career appearances, most of which have been made at Premier League level, and it was that experience Parkinson was hoping to harness when he offered him a contract until January.

But the veteran midfielder has impressed the Wanderers camp with his physical stats, showing in last Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Preston North End he still has plenty to offer on the pitch.

“It might take me a bit longer to recover but apart from that my stats are okay,” O’Neil said. “I’m probably not as sharp as I was in my heyday but I’m pleased with how it has gone at Bolton so far. I’m grateful to have the chance to play for a club of this size at this stage of my career.

“I think as I’ve got older I’ve tried to develop off the pitch and I’m big on the tactical side of the game anyway. I have done some coaching badges and it’s a side I enjoy.

“The gaffer seems to trust me with things like that.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum