Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is this racist?

+10
okocha
Dunkels King
DEANO82
boltonbonce
Growler
wanderlust
Reebok Trotter
Sluffy
gloswhite
xmiles
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Is this racist? Empty Is this racist? Tue Sep 11 2018, 19:02

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

2Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Tue Sep 11 2018, 19:15

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

No, its not.

However, its thought so by the permanently offended. its not racist, (it would be if she was depicted as white), its not sexist, its just an overpaid sports 'person' having a tantrum.

3Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Tue Sep 11 2018, 19:17

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'm not sure what racism is anymore?

I would have just seen that cartoon for what it is, namely Williams behaving like a spoilt kid.

It would never occur to me in a million years that it was possibly aimed at being racist I don't think it is btw.

Maybe I'm too old and I'm not as PC as the younger generation are these days but I thought Williams behaviour was appalling and the cartoon was merely taking the piss out of her and rightly so.

It reminded me very much of the McEnroe era where throwing tantrums were as much as trying to throw your opponent out of their rhythm and was pure gamesmanship - and was the reason for the introduction of the penalty system in tennis.

4Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Tue Sep 11 2018, 19:44

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

For what it's worth I don't see this as racist either. It is just a cartoon depicting somebody who is a black female. McEnroe's tantrums were definitely depicted in this way and all politicians are regularly lampooned.

Just another massive overreaction by those always looking to be offended.

5Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Tue Sep 11 2018, 19:47

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a cartoon of a sporting icon having a temper tantrum meltdown ( which she did.). How is it racist to portray someone behaving appallingly in a sporting event as being racist?

6Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Wed Sep 12 2018, 10:41

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think it's an overreaction however Williams did make a valid point about the umpire being sexist in that game and had every right to get pissed off for giving her a game penalty. Despite the WTA agreeing with Williams that the umpire had been sexist, this cartoon is in part at least dependent on her being portrayed as a bad-tempered sore loser so in that sense it is borderline sexist for reinforcing a negative female stereotype. 
Impossible to say whether or not it is racist as we don't know if the umpire was prejudiced against Williams because she is African American or because she is a woman. Or both.

7Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Wed Sep 12 2018, 10:56

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

No it isn't racist and calling the umpire a thief and a cheat is not standing up for women's rights, its having a tantrum.Serena has previous for it at the US open where she threatened to kill a female line judge in 2009 and is only indulged because she rakes in far more money for Women's Tennis than anybody else does. Serena can say or do anything and won't be criticised by some of the tennis hierarchy because of the money involved.

8Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Wed Sep 12 2018, 10:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's simply a caricature. They're seldom flattering.

9Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Wed Sep 12 2018, 11:26

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

boltonbonce wrote:It's simply a caricature. They're seldom flattering.
It looks exactly like the Tina Turner spitting image puppet.

10Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Wed Sep 12 2018, 11:59

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

wanderlust wrote:I think it's an overreaction however Williams did make a valid point about the umpire being sexist in that game and had every right to get pissed off for giving her a game penalty. Despite the WTA agreeing with Williams that the umpire had been sexist, this cartoon is in part at least dependent on her being portrayed as a bad-tempered sore loser so in that sense it is borderline sexist for reinforcing a negative female stereotype. 
Impossible to say whether or not it is racist as we don't know if the umpire was prejudiced against Williams because she is African American or because she is a woman. Or both.
The WTA Are just as bad in this case. Her coach admitted to coaching during the game, but says they all do it. The Umpire followed the rules. It’s not his fault if others don’t. Way too much throwing around of the words Racist and Sexist nowadays. Piers Morgan made a really valid point today regarding cricket. Test match, every player male, but you have to have a player of the match, not a man of the match. How fecking ridiculous. Music awards. You have Mobo awards. I am pretty certain that if you had Mowo awards, someone would scream racist

11Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Wed Sep 12 2018, 12:46

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Appalling behaviour from someone who should act as a role model. Seems as if the sexist claim is designed to switch attention from her tantrum on court. (A tactic learnt from Trump??)

Has similar on-court behaviour from Aussie lout, Nick Kyrgios, resulted in the same level of penalty? I think this is her (diversionary) point. 
It comes after one umpire recently chose to completely ignore the rules and climbed down from his chair to try to calm and reason with an obnoxious male player having a tantrum which the umpire felt was spoiling the game.  Now, that IS out of order and undermines those umpires simply following the regulations properly.

What I find odd about the cartoon is that the artist has "whitewashed" the colour of the skin and hair of the umpire and of the Japanese Osaka.....which does lend itself to racist questions in the minds of those who are looking for such things.

12Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Wed Sep 12 2018, 17:36

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Yes it is as it portrays the umpire as white, when in fact he is Hispanic, and Serena's opponent is from far east and is shown as white with blonde hair instead of yellow with slightly darker hair.

Serena's caricature is spot on, including the dummy on the floor, that she spat out.

13Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Mon Sep 17 2018, 01:38

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

No, she's a thug and a bully and she had a tantrum because a little girl was giving her a good twatting the Williams sisters have a long record of intimidation. Well it's over now.

14Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Mon Sep 17 2018, 18:55

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Her lack of respect for the winner was the most annoying part of the incident.

15Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Tue Sep 25 2018, 16:59

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Both women in the final are black, yet Osaka whose father is Hatian and as black they come, became a slim white blonde and Serena was pictured in the most stereotypical caricature in the style of the racist cartoons of the past. In a time where racism is rearing its ugly head more and more, it is wise to err on the side of caution. This cartoonist chose not to.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

16Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Mon Oct 01 2018, 12:25

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Keegan wrote:Both women in the final are black, yet Osaka whose father is Hatian and as black they come, became a slim white blonde and Serena was pictured in the most stereotypical caricature in the style of the racist cartoons of the past. In a time where racism is rearing its ugly head more and more, it is wise to err on the side of caution. This cartoonist chose not to.
Good for him.

17Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Mon Oct 08 2018, 11:45

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

18Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Mon Oct 08 2018, 20:19

Thank god we have middle aged white men around to tell a black woman what is and isn’t racist.

19Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Sat Oct 27 2018, 21:35

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

20Is this racist? Empty Re: Is this racist? Sat Oct 27 2018, 22:34

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Looks like cultural appropriation to me. Smile

Sponsored content