Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Parkinson Thought - Middlesbrough

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers were defeated 2-0 by Middlesbrough on Wednesday evening in the Sky Bet Championship, with goals coming from George Saville and Britt Assombalonga.

In his post-match interview with bwfc.co.uk, manager Phil Parkinson covered the following topics…

On his assessment of the 90 minutes…

In the first half, I thought we set ourselves up to be difficult to breakdown.

Despite Middlesbrough having possession, I thought we did relatively well.

Obviously the goal was hugely disappointing from our point of view because it was from our own making and Boro haven’t done a lot to score it.

I thought we went a bit flat after that, but second half I thought we were terrific.

We really took it to Middlesbrough, switched the play very well and got in some really good positions.

Chances are always going to be few and far between against Tony’s team. They are very difficult to break down as they have shown in the league this season.

But, we had moments where maybe we could have done better.

We changed the shape tonight, so there is always going to be an element of the lads feeling their way into that.

We only had a couple of days to work on it at the training ground, but once we found our feet, I thought we were terrific in the second half.

On nearly getting back into the game at 1-0…

We just played with a lot of belief in that second half.

Coming to a place like Middlesbrough, where there is talk of multi million pound signings and spending lots of money on various players.

But we have good players and we showed that in the second half.

Not just with our ability, but with our physical elements and how fit we looked.

The second one is one where we are chasing the game.

Ben has kicked it quickly before we are set and we got broke on.

By this time however, we had thrown David Wheater up top and with that, you are susceptibleto a breakaway goal.

All in all, there were a lot of good parts to our game today and we have to dust ourselves down and go again at Portman Road on Saturday.

On 2-0 not representing how the Whites fared tonight…

I think we had good periods in the second in particular where we switched the play and passed it well.

Oztumer came on and I thought he was terrific.

I think the second goal coming when it did was not a fair reflection of tonight.

But like I said, when you are throwing people forward like we had to, that can happen.

On there being positives to come from the game despite the result…

It is always a difficult place to come to at the Riverside Stadium.

But, I thought we were more of a match for them today than last Christmas when we came here.

We acquitted ourselves well but like I said, in the first half we did a lot of good things but probably didn’t have that bit of composure needed.

But when we found that in the second period, we put passes together and we found ourselves in very dangerous areas.

Tonight wasn’t our night in front of goal, but we have to be disappointed that we handed Middlesbrough that first goal.

All in all, I am pleased with what we saw tonight and there are positives to be taken into the weekend.

On heading to Ipswich Town at the weekend…

The games come thick and fast, but like I said the other day, teams in the Champions League have to play midweek and then be ready for the weekend fixture.

Physically tonight, I thought we looked in great shape and kept going right to the end.

Hopefully, that will keep us in good stead for the weekend.

On his 100th league game in charge of Bolton Wanderers…

I think 100 games ago when we played Sheffield United at home, if someone would have told me that we would be in the Championship competing against a team that have spent probably more than anyone in the division and looking to match them, I would have taken that everyday.

I’ve enjoyed the 100 games and it has been a rollercoaster, but an enjoyable one.

But I am looking forward to the 101st one and to make it a winning one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

To summarise...

* We were intentionally defensive in the first half and were unlucky to concede
* We were brilliant in the second half but were unlucky not to equalise
* The 2 nil scoreline didn't reflect how good we were
* I am very pleased with how we played and there are positives to take from this game
* We're in good shape for the Ipswich match

In the game I saw we were lucky not to concede 5 or 6, got dominated in midfield, made numerous mistakes and offered practically nothing going forward. I probably need to start wearing glasses - assume rose-tinted ones are still available in the shops?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He talks like we've just suffered a narrow defeat to Real Madrid.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Was Parky at the game?

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Cant hide from the negative line up, but i never felt that Boro were rampant i though they were contained  and yes he sums up the goals correctly . it would have been 0-0 if GO did not cock up and we did push Wheater up and  got caught on the break. the only time they looked dangerous was a few long shots and a good penalty claim.
However our first half attacking stats are awful. Middlsbro home record won 4 conceded none so its not just us who struggled Sheffield United lost 3-0 !!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum