Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Books!

+6
xmiles
TheHateCamel
Angry Dad
doffcocker
largehat
jayjay23
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Books! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books! Wed Aug 29 2012, 13:04

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Yeah, I don't think King's novels are as strong either. I read Duma Key a couple of years ago, 500 pages of page turning suspense but a disappointing ending.

22Books! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books! Wed Aug 29 2012, 13:15

11.22.63 is probably the best Stephen King book in a long time, if not ever.

23Books! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books! Wed Aug 29 2012, 13:17

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My favourite King story is The Mist, just a short story but i think it's terrific.

I've read "The Stand" which is about the size of an Encyclopedia, gripping in places, boring in others. I do like Kings style though.

My favourite book though is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski absolutely fantastic.

24Books! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books! Wed Aug 29 2012, 13:19

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

If you like really strong crime novels- read Denise Mina- a young Scottish writer who bases all her stories in and around Glasgow. She won the UK Silver Dagger last year for her novel- The End of the Wasp Season.
Strong stuff- but very realistic

25Books! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books! Wed Aug 29 2012, 22:02

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Under the dome was 850 pages of fast paced page turning, couldn't wait to find out what happens, this is great (and a better read than other King books for me)... and then the last 100 pages let me down. Still enjoyed it however.

26Books! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books! Sat Sep 01 2012, 14:56

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Ha, ha, jayjay, I've just won an auction for Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown on eBay. 50p opening bid plus 50p postage from some plonker in Chorley. It will cost them more than a pound to send it to me. Then they have to pay eBay fees and PayPal fees.

27Books! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books! Sun Sep 02 2012, 02:25

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

HAHA. Nice move. Read it with an open mind and don't be over critical (as I imagine you could be) and you will have a fun, easy, but quite sensible read.

28Books! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books! Mon Sep 03 2012, 16:56

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

I always feel a little sad when someone says they don't read books. I couldn't imagine a life without books. It'd be like a life without music, or films, for me. I wish I knew you better doffcocker and could put my finger on a book you would love, I'd happily send you one in the post.

This. My brother has only read one book in his entire life and he is in his late forties! I can't imagine a world without books. Nowadays I only get to read when I am on holiday. I especially like autobiographies and crime thrillers. I read all of Dan Brown's novels this time and I thought they were okay.

29Books! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books! Mon Sep 03 2012, 18:02

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I quite enjoyed "The Stand". I got a copy of "Tricks of the Mind" as well the "Shades of Grey" trilogy so there's some reading in place to take my mind off Bolton for a while.

One book I highly recommend is "Shibumi" by Trevanian. Very entertaining, would make a great movie.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum