Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do you care about Twitter controversy?

+6
Copper Dragon
aaron_bwfc
Dunkels King
largehat
Natasha Whittam
doffcocker
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

James McClean of Sunderland is this week's loser who's sorry about something he wrote on Shitter.

In a nutshell, footballers are bellends, Twitter is a platform for bellends to be bellends - why do the media think we're surprised or even interested when one of them makes a knob of themselves and is forced to apologise?

The minute an article mentions the word 'Twitter', I lose interest.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Me too. Nothing bores me more than Twatter.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I enjoy it when famous people put their foot in it and have to backtrack. Like Ferdinand with the choc ice comment, he posted it and then when it all kicked off, he made some lame attempt to demonstrate it had nothing to do with race.

There was this Tory MP who made a stupid comment during the Olympic opening ceremony about how it was all political and multicultural nonsense and where was Shakespeare and the Rolling Stones.

Twitter provides an unprecedented opportunity for famous people to shoot themselves in the foot. All it takes is a smartphone and 30 seconds of stupidity to ruin your career. Brilliant.

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

largehat wrote:I enjoy it when famous people put their foot in it and have to backtrack. Like Ferdinand with the choc ice comment, he posted it and then when it all kicked off, he made some lame attempt to demonstrate it had nothing to do with race.

There was this Tory MP who made a stupid comment during the Olympic opening ceremony about how it was all political and multicultural nonsense and where was Shakespeare and the Rolling Stones.

Twitter provides an unprecedented opportunity for famous people to shoot themselves in the foot. All it takes is a smartphone and 30 seconds of stupidity to ruin your career. Brilliant.

The problem with Twitter and Facebook etc is it's all there for everyone to read. Footballers and Celebs do make themselves to look like dicks plenty of the time, but in the old days you would not have got slated for a comment you made to a friend or colleague down the pub. I still think it's fucked up that you can be done for a comment you make on a Social Networking site. Freedom of speech no longer exits. I think I said it before on another thread. In the RAF if you told an Officer he was a Cunt you could be done, but if you said that you thought he might be a Cunt you couldn't get done. Maybe Ferdinand should have said that he "thought" Cole "might" be a Choc-ice.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Dunkels King wrote:
The problem with Twitter and Facebook etc is it's all there for everyone to read. Footballers and Celebs do make themselves to look like dicks plenty of the time, but in the old days you would not have got slated for a comment you made to a friend or colleague down the pub. I still think it's fucked up that you can be done for a comment you make on a Social Networking site. Freedom of speech no longer exits. I think I said it before on another thread. In the RAF if you told an Officer he was a Cunt you could be done, but if you said that you thought he might be a Cunt you couldn't get done. Maybe Ferdinand should have said that he "thought" Cole "might" be a Choc-ice.

Freedom of Speech still exists, but it's never entitled people to abuse people for their race or make threats and so on. All that's changed with Twitter is, as you say, the size of the audience and the immediacy of the message being available to others. It removes the buffers that a lot of famous people previously had between themselves and the public, so rather than a press release, they can 'talk' to an audience themselves.

Anybody who falls foul of that and is too stupid - famous or otherwise - to think they can get away with posting anything they want just because it's Twitter and it's the internet, gets what they deserve IMO.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I think some celebs do stupid things on on Twitter on purprose to get a bit of publicity, especially when they haven't been seen in the media for a while. As they say, any publicity is good publicity.

As fot footballers, most of them are dumb bastards anyway, surprised rio ferdinand can actually type and switch on a computer.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Who are the biggest tossers in all this?

The boring brainless gobshites or the ones who follow them?

I go for the latter.

I like it when some berk Twits something then someone else makes their own story up about the twit and then puts it on one of these sorts of messageboards.

Made up example -

Rooneytwit - 'Just had a lovely meal in North London'

Twit follower - 'My god, Rooney is signing for Arsenal'.

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Footballers are all dicks, what with the stupid tattoos and twitter and shaggin everything that moves

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As with many things like this i find it's the people who "hate twitter" who rattle on about it the most.

it was the same as when Big Brother became Big news. There was article after article in the mail and express about how it was the lowest point in human civilisation with the caveat that "of course, i haven't seen it!"

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It's just a platform. I think a lot of people who don't use it don't understand it, but cheerfully slag it off anyway. Their loss really.

There's simply nowhere else on the internet or any other medium where you can be watching a live event unfold and view real time responses from people, and cater who you want to read responses from. The content is the users themselves, which is hundreds of millions of people all around the world.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:As with many things like this i find it's the people who "hate twitter" who rattle on about it the most.

You are joking aren't you?

Apparently Burnley FC were 'trending' Question on twitter t'other day because the Guardian broke the story (we'd only known for two weeks) that Andre Villas-Boas wanted and was interviewed for the Burnley job when Susan's lad left for your lot.

I didn't feel the need to have a look and I also don't have a clue what they mean by 'trending'.

Please don't tell us what's happening on twitter because I won't tell you what I had for my breakfast.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

U MAD?

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Have a Twitter account - very rarely use it - in fact in the 2.5 years I have had the account think I have done about 10 tweets! Just can't see the point in it. I do believe it is the lowest form of social media - same level as Hello and other celebrity magazines - just full of egotistical plonkers who tweet just for teh fun of it and think they can say whatever they want.

My only social media's I use quite often are LinkedIn - mainly for business usage, and Facebook for keeping up with friends and family all over the world.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:U MAD?

Bacon and egg on toast with white pepper and brown sauce.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fair enough if twitter isn't your thing, but i don't get the "it's full of wankers" line you often hear.

You chose who you follow, so surely if a persons a wanker.... don't follow them?

unless of course you actually think, literally, everyone on twitter is a wanker, then fair enough.

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Don't know very much about Twitter, but i wouldn't be surprised if some Legal Firm starts advertising on Tv.

Have you been Slandered on Twitter, whether you know it or not, just send us your details and we'll do the rest, you could be owed thousands.

Do you care about Twitter controversy? Nowinnofee

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Fair enough if twitter isn't your thing, but i don't get the "it's full of wankers" line you often hear.

You chose who you follow, so surely if a persons a wanker.... don't follow them?

unless of course you actually think, literally, everyone on twitter is a wanker, then fair enough.

I think what gets most peoples backs up is that you see and hear it all the time. on TV, on Radio and in newspapers. It shouldn't be news if someone has taken offence to what Frankie Boyle has twitted.

I did like the events after the London riots when twitter was used correctly and people came out to have a clean up.

Don't follow boring twats, use it to clean up your area and town.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Think the latest are the mind-numbing tweets that are reported between Gary Barlow and Cheryl Cole on a websote I do read on a daily basis....

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a404686/gary-barlow-confirms-cheryl-coles-return-to-x-factor.html

As I say social media at its lowest form and it does gets printed everywhere - ps only read that sight with regards to soaps section, cult section and media section - and balance it with media-guardian.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's only "social media at it's lowest" if you're a mong, and use it as such.

I don't see how keeping up to date with breaking news, current affairs, movies, tv, sports etc etc is "low" after all, we all do it, through one medium or another. Some just choose twitter.

You've just posted that you enjoy reading digital spy and media guardian. They both have a presence on twitter, in fact it's more interesting because you get the chance to interact with those sites and people of a common mindset.

It's in the papers daily because journalists need to fill pages and it's a quick and easy way to do so. Not sure why thats a knock on twitter though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum