Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"It’s about being a bit more selfish" - Chris O'Grady on his Wanderers return

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Chris O’Grady had to get selfish in order to spearhead Wanderers’ victory against Tranmere.

The experienced striker scored on his return to the team as Keith Hill’s side lifted spirits with a 2-0 win against their old Merseyside rivals.

Bolton fans had been downbeat after the 1-1 draw against Bristol Rovers – reflected in a sombre atmosphere last Tuesday night.

But O’Grady admits the onus was on the players to improve the mood, and after linking up with Daryl Murphy in a new two-pronged attack Wanderers rained 23 shots on the Tranmere goal en route to a well-deserved win.

“Tuesday night was a result of the period of results before. Fans were well within their rights to be upset,” he told The Bolton News.

“I got a chance to play and it was in my mind to be on the front foot, bash people around a little bit, and that gets the fans going.

“Myself and Daryl (Murphy) have scored plenty of goals between us throughout our careers and it’s important we’re as high up the pitch as possible.

“I feel I hadn’t been in previous games, I’d been doing a more defensive job. So I said to myself I needed to be up as far as possible – be a problem for them rather than the other way round. It’s about being a bit more selfish and doing the right things to win the game.”

O’Grady’s goal, which doubled the lead given to Wanderers early on by Dennis Politic, was the striker’s 100th in league football.

It brought Bolton back within three points of Southend above them in the table and 17 from safety. But O’Grady remains practical about the team’s aims between now and the end of the campaign.

“I’d suggest it’s sensible just to try and win as many games as we can, take that into next season wherever that may be. It’s important because this has been the most unstable period for the club that you could imagine,” he said.

“It’s about taking positives out of the season now, seeing what works out.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum