Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coronavirus - will we survive?

+19
summercummings
Bollotom2014
Norpig
Sluffy
Natasha Whittam
Ten Bobsworth
Leeds_Trotter
y2johnny
MartinBWFC
luckyPeterpiper
BoltonTillIDie
doffcocker
okocha
Cajunboy
wanderlust
karlypants
Angry Dad
finlaymcdanger
boltonbonce
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 48, 49, 50

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 50]

981Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 50 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Sat May 09 2020, 10:04

Ye busy out near me (in London) too, most people are clearly still trying to stay two metres apart but there we’re groups in the parks who clearly don’t all come from the same household. I get the need to be outside (particularly for those without outdoor space) but congregating in big groups is just fucking stupid.

Also @Sluffy - great post, very interesting insight.

982Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 50 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Sat May 09 2020, 10:32

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

okocha wrote:Nice work, Sluffy. Reassuring.

Do you know if there are any such figures for deaths in care homes and deaths suffered at home?

And what are fellow-Nutters thinking about this?....
"UK airlines say they have been told the government will bring in a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving in the UK from any country apart from the Republic of Ireland in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
The new restriction is expected to take effect at the end of this month." (BBC website)

Thanks.

Yes there are - obviously - because the government is reporting on the combined totals.

I guess if you dig around for them you can find them - for instance -

"The number of deaths in care homes (from all causes) for Week 17 was 7,911, which is 595 higher than Week 16. The number of deaths in hospitals for Week 17 was 8,243, which is 1,191 lower than Week 16".

Taken from here -

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/latest

...but I've read enough death stats myself already not to be wanting to search for more right now.

As for ports of entry quarantining, if you want to make a political point then please do it on the other thread specifically started for that subject.

If not this is what Professor Van-Tam said about it on the 21st April

England’s deputy chief medical officer has defended the Government’s decision not to screen passengers arriving at UK airports for coronavirus.
Professor Jonathan Van-Tam said a “basic problem” with port entry checks was they would not pick up cases of people infected overseas but who were yet to display any Covid-19 symptoms.
He said the virus had an incubation period of up to 14 days, meaning that someone with the disease could still “sail” through any screening as they would not necessarily show signs of a fever.

“The problem is that people can be infected before they get on the flight and the incubation period for this virus is up to 14 days. And it’s typically five days.
“So I can fly back… on a long flight and I can become infected in that country before I get on the aircraft, and I will sail through Heathrow with absolutely no symptoms at all.
“I’m not being untruthful, there is nothing to declare. I won’t have a fever, I won’t be picked out.
“But when I get to my home in the north of England, at that point I may develop symptoms a few days later, and clearly the port of entry screening hasn’t worked.”
Prof Van-Tam said the proportion of new cases coming in from abroad “would be minuscule” compared to the “force of infection” in the UK at present.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock previously said the UK did not carry out testing at airports as the number of arrivals had “dropped dramatically”.

Feel free to see what he said at the government daily briefing on the 21st April - (fast forwards to 31 minutes for his speech)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hxlp/briefings-downing-street-coronavirus-news-conference-21042020

983Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 50 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Sat May 09 2020, 11:39

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Interesting quote from Professor Van-Tam about the value or rather lack of value of screening.

984Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 50 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Sat May 09 2020, 12:12

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

xmiles wrote:Interesting quote from Professor Van-Tam about the value or rather lack of value of screening.

Needs to be taken in context as to how things were at that time.

I suspect there simply wasn't the capacity and resources to spare from the hospitals to deal with the numbers (mainly UK repatriation flights I would suspect?) of people entering the country and that if the virus was already out in the community and self isolating/social distancing etc, were already in operation, then what difference would a number more adding to it really matter that much - as they would be picked up in just the same way as everybody else who hadn't come from abroad were being?

I'm guessing the priority at that time was save the NHS from being swamped and care homes and testing those at ports of entry were being sacrificed until that overriding priority was met and only then care homes/ports of entry could be tackled.

985Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 50 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Sun May 10 2020, 18:33

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Around 40 people - including children - were found at the illegal gathering in Bolton on Saturday night.

Seven people have been arrested after police were coughed on and spat at as they attempted to disperse a large group at a birthday party during strict lockdown measures.

Officers were called to reports of fighting outside a house in Bolton on Saturday night.

Around 40 people - including children - were at the party on Wemsley Grove, Tonge Moor.

Police said they encouraged the group to leave, but they refused and became hostile and began to deliberately cough and spit at them.

Seven people - aged between 23 and 48 - were detained on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly and were later issued fixed penalties for breaching COVID-19 regulations.

A further individual was not arrested, but was given a fixed penalty at the scene.

Assistant Chief Constable Robert Potts said: "When the vast majority of us are all making such sacrifices in order to reduce the transmission of the virus and save lives as a result, it is really disappointing to see the rules being flagrantly ignored by those who are putting their own safety and the safety of so many others at risk.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-coughed-on-and-spat-at-after-breaking-up-lockdown-party-11986148

986Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 50 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon May 11 2020, 12:18

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Absolute scum the lot of them

987Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 50 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon May 11 2020, 16:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here we go again, now my Daughter has been sent home from school with a cough so back into isolation we go!

Hopefully not the full 14 days though if we can get her tested.

988Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 50 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon May 11 2020, 16:36

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sorry to hear that Norpig, hope it's just a cough and nothing more.

989Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 50 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon May 11 2020, 16:45

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Christ! Hope you are all ok mate!

990Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 50 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon May 11 2020, 17:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Christ! Hope you are all ok mate!
Same here Mr Pig. Stay safe.

991Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 50 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon May 11 2020, 18:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:Sorry to hear that Norpig, hope it's just a cough and nothing more.

Yes, we all do.

I think from reading this she can be tested (on the basis that you and/or your wife can not do your work from home) and I think you and your wife can have one in your own right anyway (are you classed as a key worker?) if your employer (the hospital) simply refers you (and your daughter (and wife and son) as well?)

Hope this helps -

Who can get tested?

At first, across the UK, the focus was on the sickest patients in hospitals, followed by health, care and emergency services staff, then other essential workers and their families.

Most recently in England, testing has been expanded to include anyone with symptoms who is:

- over 65
- cannot do their work from home
- living with those identified above

Key workers across the UK who are self-isolating because they or a family member have coronavirus symptoms can be referred for a test by their employer or apply online. 

If a test is negative, a key worker can return to work if they are well enough, have not had a high temperature for 48 hours, and those living with them test negative.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51943612

-------

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21160

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 48, 49, 50

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum