Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Season Suspended.

+9
Natasha Whittam
luckyPeterpiper
RangersDave
Cajunboy
Bollotom2014
Norpig
karlypants
wessy
Sluffy
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Season Suspended. Empty Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 10:59

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Last edited by Sluffy on Fri Mar 13 2020, 11:07; edited 1 time in total

2Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 11:04

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

It's time the Premeir league trickled down some of the vast funds they have to the EFL to help protect the smaller clubs, it seems that paying 200 million on transfers not a problem, helping others seems to be a problem shame on the sport.

3Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 11:05

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:It's time the Premeir league trickled down some of the vast funds they have to the EFL to help protect the smaller clubs, it seems that paying 200 million on transfers not a problem, helping others seems to be a problem shame on the sport.

Completely agree but doubt that will ever happen Wessy.

4Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 11:07

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

karlypants wrote:
wessy wrote:It's time the Premeir league trickled down some of the vast funds they have to the EFL to help protect the smaller clubs, it seems that paying 200 million on transfers not a problem, helping others seems to be a problem shame on the sport.

Completely agree but doubt that will ever happen Wessy.
Agree KP tight bastards, one weeks salaries would prop up Oldham etc

5Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 11:17

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A lot of clubs lower down the leagues will struggle now as they rely on gate receipts but i suppose this is the best thing to do for now.

6Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 11:30

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The EFL, which hopes to resume play a day earlier, 
said clubs were also advised to suspend "non-essential activities" such as "player appearances, training ground visits and fan meetings".

7Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 12:06

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Good, that's one major source of pain out of our lives.

8Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 12:12

Let’s hope it gets voided and we start again

9Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 15:46

RangersDave

RangersDave
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Have i not said i think you will stay up? didnt think it would be this way though. lol

10Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 15:55

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I suspect the League will wind up calling the current table the final standings in the end. Of course it makes no real difference to us but I suspect a number of clubs at both ends of the table will call foul.

11Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 16:01

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I suspect the League will wind up calling the current table the final standings in the end.

There's absolutely zero chance of that happening. Half the teams in the Championship would sue, given they currently have a sniff of the Prem.

12Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 16:11

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

If the season is cancelled it will be like it never happened, no promotions or relegations, so we start next season as we did this, but with a team in place, I think we'd be a good mid table side given a full pre season and better players.

13Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 16:17

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I can't see that happening Martin , too many teams with a sniff of promotion would not be happy with that and would try and sue the EFL i reckon.

14Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 16:26

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I just saw UEFA are considering postponing Euro2020 until summer 2021 so leagues could play out their remaining fixtures over the summer. I don't know how practical that would be though given how short the gap would be between ending this season and starting the next one.

15Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 16:31

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:I can't see that happening Martin , too many teams with a sniff of promotion would not be happy with that and would try and sue the EFL i reckon.
I get that, but where is the cut off point? we can't keep suspending indefinitely, as next season needs to be planned for, so the EFL have a huge decision to make, and we know a lot of teams will be outraged, but like I say there has to come a time when they need to cut and run.

16Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Fri Mar 13 2020, 16:47

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Neil Lennon was on today suggesting that the seasons could be ended by awarding every team their 'average points per game' for the remainder of the season's fixtures. So for instance a team averaging 2 points per game with 10 games left would get 20 more points than they have now while a team averaging say 0.5 ppg would get 5 more. I don't think that's going to happen but Martin's right; at some point the leagues will have to call time on the 2019/20 season whether there are unplayed fixtures or not and find some way to fairly determine the final league tables.

17Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Sat Mar 14 2020, 07:19

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Neil Lennon was on today suggesting that the seasons could be ended by awarding every team their 'average points per game' for the remainder of the season's fixtures. So for instance a team averaging 2 points per game with 10 games left would get 20 more points than they have now while a team averaging say 0.5 ppg would get 5 more. I don't think that's going to happen but Martin's right; at some point the leagues will have to call time on the 2019/20 season whether there are unplayed fixtures or not and find some way to fairly determine the final league tables.
There is absolutely no point to Lennon's suggestion as the places would be the same as they are now. No easy solution and seeing as the Chief Medical Officer reckons the epidemic won't peak for another 10 to 14 weeks in England I'm wondering when things will recommence - November?. Whatever the proposed solution, it won't be to everyone's liking.
We might just get lucky seeing as any solution can't really put us in a worse position than we're already in - providing the finances hold up.

18Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Sat Mar 14 2020, 11:20

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I would vote for ending the season right now.  Whatever position the clubs are in right now is it. Makes no difference to us.  Or play the remaining games behind closed doors and get it over with that way.
Of course I would be playing the games as normal if I had my way - you attend at your own risk.

19Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Sat Mar 14 2020, 12:42

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Apparently there is a rule on the books that says the season can be deemed complete if 75% of fixtures have been played. In the Premier League that equates to 28.5 games. In the EFL it's 34.5 games. At this moment all three divisions of the EFL have passed that point while in the PL most teams have played 29 games with six on 28. That gives an average games per team of 28.7 games so in theory the regular season could be called finished now and we could go straight to play offs when football resumes.

However Aston Villa might well call foul on this as they are currently on 28 games and should they win their game in hand would rise from 19th (a relegation place) to 16th (safety). And Bournemouth are currently 18th but only on goal difference so they too might feel it's unfair but I think sooner or later this season will be deemed over (at least the regular season) if only to try and prevent massive fixture congestion or playing all summer. One thing that will not happen imo is the entire season being wiped from the books.

20Season Suspended. Empty Re: Season Suspended. Sat Mar 14 2020, 13:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Money talks. No way is anyone going to get relegated or miss out on promotion without legal action.

You could have half the Championship demanding £100m on lost PL revenues.

While cancelling the season would definitely benefit us, I really cannot see it happening.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum