Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why Ian Evatt is ready to play waiting game in January transfer window

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers might have to play a patient waiting game in the January transfer window, manager Ian Evatt has warned.

The Bolton boss has earmarked a number of targets and areas for strengthening once the window re-opens in the new year.

But Evatt has said they may not be able to act on them immediately because of competition from other clubs.

He expects his targets to have interest from elsewhere, higher up the Football League ladder.

And while he was able to land key men in the summer - including Antoni Sarcevic and Eoin Doyle, who both stepped down a level after leaving newly promoted Plymouth Argyle and Swindon Town respectively - the mid-season window is expected to be a different proposition.

In an ideal world the club would be able to push the button on targets once the clock strikes midnight to ring in 2021. But Evatt, who brought 22 new faces to the University of Bolton Stadium in the summer window following his appointment as Keith Hill's replacement, says it might not be so straightforward this time around.

Asked if there were signings lined up, ready to put pen to paper, Evatt said: “We’ve got to make sure we get it right, first and foremost. That’s the biggest thing that we need, to take our time and make sure we get the right ones in the building.

"The issue we’ve got with the January window is that our number one targets will also have other people sniffing about and have aspirations to play at higher levels.

"That might not happen and materialise so do we then go for choice two or three and then choice one becomes available at the last minute? I don’t know. They’re tough decisions and ones we need to take our time with and make sure we get it right."

As well as players ready to immediately challenge for a first-team place in Wanderers' continued aim of bouncing back to League One at the first attempt, Evatt is also keen to have more strength in depth throughout the squad, after admitting that not all players were hitting the standards he expects, as frequently that he expects, leading to question marks over whether everyone named on the bench can come on and positively affect games.

He said: “Consistency every day in training (is needed). It’s not just about what I see in games. It’s every single day in training and if you’re not in the team, come and ask me why and you’ll get an honest answer and then it’s down to you to improve the areas in your game that I think you need to improve on.

“Are they all doing that? No, not at the minute."

Evatt says he has an open door for anyone who has questions about why they're not in the team and what they can do to force their way into his plans.

“I think they do (that)," he said. "But you need to do something about it if you’re not (in the team), that’s what I’m saying."

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evans, Donohue and Lee are all players who would probably be in that category of attracting interest from several clubs and would want to play at a higher level given the chance - which is a shame as all three could bring something to the party.

Still confused about Donohue though as he signed a new one year deal in September and left Swindon in December - for "personal reasons". If he had family issues earlier this month but is ready to continue playing now, why did they cancel his contract? Something's not right.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum