Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coyle's view of the match - Millwall

+7
wanderlust
Culcheth_White
Angry Dad
Banks of the Croal
MartinBWFC
aaron_bwfc
Sluffy
11 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Coyle's view of the match - Millwall Empty Coyle's view of the match - Millwall Sat Oct 06 2012, 22:23

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Well this is what the genius said -

Owen Coyle says he and his side are ‘utterly disappointed’ after Darius Henderson’s last-minute winner for Millwall ensured Wanderers left The Den empty handed.

Henderson’s first of the afternoon, a deflected effort through a ruck of players, saw the hosts take the lead on 18 minutes before after the break Bolton hit back through Chris Eagles’ low free-kick.

Eagles was then upended in the penalty area, though from the resulting spot kick the former Burnley man blazed over the bar before Henderson’s popped up to net a late decider.

Speaking in his post-match press, Coyle said: “Standing here right now, this is the worst feeling I’ve ever had in football.

“We were really poor in the first half and I let the players know in no uncertain terms that we simply hadn’t been good enough.

“In the second half we played ever so well, but it’s becoming a reoccurring theme. We were not clinical. We created good chances and we controlled the second half, accepting that they would be looking for the long ball and to play on the counter attack.

“We had a penalty at 1-1 to take the lead. Regardless of the miss and whether or not there was a foul on Zat Knight in the run-up to their second goal – and I’m yet to see it back – we still should have had enough about us to see the game out.

“We’ve shown it fits and starts the quality that we have but we have not been consistently good and that is really hard to take.

“There were almost 500 Wanderers fans who travelled down and backed us today and I have to thank them for their support. They really got behind the players and drove them forward and we’re utterly disappointed not to have sent them home happy on the back of a win.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Sluffy wrote:
Speaking in his post-match press, Coyle said: “Standing here right now, this is the worst feeling I’ve ever had in football.

That comment is what made me to think coyle may know his time is up, what is different today than any other away defeat?

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

aaron_bwfc wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

That comment is what made me to think coyle may know his time is up, what is different today than any other away defeat?
The fact Millwall have won a game for the first time in 5 outings, and are in the bottom 3 in THE CHAMPIONSHIP, should convince him that the fans and players have lost faith.

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Heard him on manc radio, Spoke like he's accepted his time is up, might not like it, but his record has got to be one of our worst Managers Ever,

Usually a moderate but it's time to go... no pleasure from saying this.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Coyle must rank high in the worst managers of all time of any club.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I think it's time Coyle packed his bags and buggered off back to Dumbarton! I'm sure he'll manage to get a job there, maybe selling double glazing or something.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Think that's a bit harsh, but he has made some fundamental mistakes and played a high risk game. I do understand what he is trying to achieve, but we just don't have the players to carry it off or the money to buy those that could. His emphasis on creating chances is a good thing and in that he has succeeded - I think we've created more than any club - but in order to do that the defence has been exposed. Fine if we had world class defenders who could take the additional pressure but we don't so he should have reconsidered his approach. The other problem he should have addressed is that we also have the lowest conversion rate of chances to goals. It's great creating chances, but if there's no cutting edge why bother? We just haven't got clinical finishers.

I understand what he wants to achieve, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear as they say.

A new manager will not be prepared to take the tactical risks OC has and will sacrifice the emphasis on making chances to bolster the defence. Sadly, this will create a whole bunch of new problems. Given that we can't do a Rovers and buy our way out of the situation, the new guy would have to largely work with what we've got. In the medium term he'd be helped by the return of Holden and eventually Wheater, but I worry for the younger players that OC has been protecting and who must be getting very pissed off with the lack of opportunities. Maybe OC will get the opportunity to turn it around but I think he's going to have to put aside the fear of short-term failure to do so and try something new if he's capable of it. If he goes, the new manager will get some breathing space to experiment and fail - not much given the pressure from our fans - but some. If a new guy comes in he will have to be a miracle worker. Someone like Megson is my worst nightmare, and I suspect that the brief will be to get in someone to stop us shipping goals, so sadly that's on the cards. But I hope that if we do get a new manager, it will be someone willing to experiment with the whole squad, give everyone a chance and try to find that elusive combination rather than do the bleeding obvious and shut up shop. I think we need to prepare ourselves for a long winter ahead whatever happens.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:It's great creating chances, but if there's no cutting edge why bother? We just haven't got clinical finishers.

A couple of weeks ago Coyle claimed Sordell was the best finisher at the club, yet he's currently 4th choice striker. First choice is Ngog who has a scoring rate of about 1 every 10 matches.

People "in football" will understand that. I don't and it's why he should be sacked.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Think that's a bit harsh, but he has made some fundamental mistakes and played a high risk game. I do understand what he is trying to achieve, but we just don't have the players to carry it off or the money to buy those that could. His emphasis on creating chances is a good thing and in that he has succeeded - I think we've created more than any club - but in order to do that the defence has been exposed. Fine if we had world class defenders who could take the additional pressure but we don't so he should have reconsidered his approach. The other problem he should have addressed is that we also have the lowest conversion rate of chances to goals. It's great creating chances, but if there's no cutting edge why bother? We just haven't got clinical finishers.

I understand what he wants to achieve, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear as they say.

A new manager will not be prepared to take the tactical risks OC has and will sacrifice the emphasis on making chances to bolster the defence. Sadly, this will create a whole bunch of new problems. Given that we can't do a Rovers and buy our way out of the situation, the new guy would have to largely work with what we've got. In the medium term he'd be helped by the return of Holden and eventually Wheater, but I worry for the younger players that OC has been protecting and who must be getting very pissed off with the lack of opportunities. Maybe OC will get the opportunity to turn it around but I think he's going to have to put aside the fear of short-term failure to do so and try something new if he's capable of it. If he goes, the new manager will get some breathing space to experiment and fail - not much given the pressure from our fans - but some. If a new guy comes in he will have to be a miracle worker. Someone like Megson is my worst nightmare, and I suspect that the brief will be to get in someone to stop us shipping goals, so sadly that's on the cards. But I hope that if we do get a new manager, it will be someone willing to experiment with the whole squad, give everyone a chance and try to find that elusive combination rather than do the bleeding obvious and shut up shop. I think we need to prepare ourselves for a long winter ahead whatever happens.

Good post.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Ditto

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The same old excuses churned out parrot fashion after every game. If Coyle feels bad how does he think everyone else is feeling having to listen to this shite over and over?

The fact is that despite the length of time he's so generously been given, this is one hell of a bad side he's put together.

Elmander was crap but he'd be a megastar in this side.

Owen, mate, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum