Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Probably the best team in the league' - Grimsby boss tips Bolton to go up

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Grimsby boss Paul Hurst is “sure” Wanderers will be playing League One football next season – even after his side put a dent in their automatic promotion ambitions at Blundell Park.

The Mariners produced one of their performances of the season to give themselves a fighting chance of survival in the EFL.

After just their third win in 22 games, Hurst admitted his goalkeeper James McKeown had produced some key saves – but argued that Matt Gilks had been busier at the other end in what proved a game packed with chances.

“It’s a great win for us, and it keeps us in the fight,” Hurst told the Grimsby Telegraph.

“It was well deserved. I think it could have been a lot more, and I was disappointed to concede right at the end as you always are, but the main thing is we got the three points.

“Don’t get me wrong, Macca’s made a couple of really good saves, and they would expect to be on the scoresheet today as well.

“But I certainly think we had more chances, and good chances a lot of them, and you’re just thinking ‘is it going to be our day, is it going to come back to bite us?’ “For me, they’re probably the best team in the league, and I’m sure they will get promoted, but today I just don’t think they could cope with a lot of what we threw at them.

“I don’t think we’ve created as many chances as that in a game this season, and looked a threat while keeping a good shape to the team against a good side that work you, look to play the ball right from the keeper, but we had a plan and it worked today.”

Wanderers struggled to contain Grimsby’s physical front two of James Hanson and Lennell John-Lewis on the day, leaving Hurst a happy man at the final whistle.

“The overall performances on the run we’d been on – and even last week where things were taken away from the performance – have been good,” he added.

“Today, we said we needed to be better still, and we did that. There were lots of good performances, but I think the front two set the tone for that.

“I don’t think they (Bolton) could handle either of them, and it gave us a great platform to work from.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum