Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt will not force players out amid EFL squad limit

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt will not force players out amid EFL squad limit 12874793

Wanderers will be bound by EFL rules on squad size this season – but Ian Evatt insists he won’t be forcing anyone out of the door at the UniBol.

It has now been confirmed that managers in Leagues One and Two will be confined to using 22 professional players, not counting goalkeepers or those aged under 21 (born after January 1, 2000).

Including new arrival Elias Kachunga and injured defender Liam Edwards, Bolton have now hit the ceiling for senior players and so would have to move someone on if they intend to sign anyone else in the current transfer window.

Speculation has swirled the UniBol all summer that Brandon Comley and Ali Crawford could be moved on after failing to get into Evatt’s first team plans.

But the Wanderers boss says he won’t be engineering any sales and that currently none of his players are speaking to other clubs.

“There’s nothing at the moment,” he said. “We are being patient.

“We are not the type of club, and I am not the type of manager to force people out.

“It is not how I do things – I can only be as honest as I possibly can and then it is down to the player to make whatever decision they feel is right.

“We won’t be booting anyone out, that’s for sure.”

Championship sides will be able to name 25 senior players in their squad but Evatt is happy enough with the limits which have been set this season.

“I think the idea is based on finances and the EFL making sure people don’t overspend in Leagues One and Two. The Championship have far superior funds, hence bigger squads. I don’t think it’s a bad thing,” he added.

“The bigger squad you have – especially when it is ultra-competitive, the more problems you can cause yourself.”

Meanwhile, Evatt hopes the work his side have done on the training ground in recent weeks will ensure a better spread of goalscorers this season.

Eoin Doyle accounted for virtually a third of all goals scored by the team in League Two and the Wanderers boss has made it one of his primary targets to get other positions chipping in.

“We can’t just be reliant on Eoin,” he said. “Dapo has added goals to his game in pre-season, which is good, and he needs to add more.

“Both wide players, midfielders, centre-backs from set plays like we did the other week, it is all a big component. We are working hard to improve it.

“We are working on all aspects – set plays, keeping the ball, transitions, pressing strategies. Sometimes there are not enough hours in the day but that is the type of detail we are putting into them at the moment.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum