Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Delfouneso apologieses to fans after penalty miss at Wigan

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Delfouneso apologieses to fans after penalty miss at Wigan 12934309

Nathan Delfouneso has apologised to Wanderers fans for missing the vital kick in last night’s penalty shoot-out.

Bolton exited the Carabao Cup after losing 5-4 on penalties, with striker Delfouneso clearing the bar with his effort in sudden death.

Immediately after the game, Delfouneso asked the club to put out a message expressing his regret on social media.

‘I’d like to take this opportunity to apologise to the Bolton supporters for my penalty miss at Wigan tonight,” he said.

“Thank you for your incredible backing this evening, it was amazing to be able to experience that. We appreciate it so much. All the best, Delf.”

Earlier, Kieran Lee had also missed from the spot as Wanderers failed to take advantage of Matt Gilks’ save from Jordan Jones.

After missing the spot kick, Delfouneso was quickly consoled by team-mates Dapo Afolayan and Eoin Doyle.

The former Blackpool man was one of eight changes to the side which had beaten Oxford at the weekend and though the performance was not as polished as it has been in recent weeks, Evatt refused to be too downbeat.

“We changed eight players and those lads who came in deserved to play, I trust them to play,” he said. “They haven’t let them or themselves down, they gave it their best shot.

“We competed. There wasn’t much in the game, they huffed and puffed with set pieces and long balls and we had a couple of moments of incisiveness we could have scored from.

“We didn’t, they didn’t and we lost a penalty shootout.

“We are gutted but there are two derby games to come – one here, one at our place in October. And that is the most important thing now is that we focus on the league, we have a great game to play on Saturday at Cambridge and if we win that we have a place in the top six, and that is exactly where we want to be.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum