Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ye Old Man and Scythe - shock closure!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Just seen this in the (internet) paper - how sad - another part of my youth gone!

STAFF at Bolton's oldest pub were shocked to be told they had lost their jobs and it had closed - by text message.

Seven workers at Ye Old Man and Scythe in Churchgate received text messages this morning saying they were redundant.

Today the pub remained locked and dark inside. A chain was fixed around a side gate and there was no sign of activity.

But brewery bosses say the closure is temporary - although refused to explain this further, saying the matter was "confidential".

Joint manager John Madden, aged 33, said: “We received text messages this morning telling us we’d been made redundant. I’ve worked there for 13 years. We’re all just shocked. This has just come out of the blue.

“We are putting up signs outside the pub just to let customers know what’s happened out of courtesy.”

He said the pub had been open as usual over the weekend and there was no sign of any potential closure.

The pub was previously run by John Jewitt, who drowned aged 70 last year on holiday in Lanzarote.

His widow, Jaycee, took over the running of the popular pub.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/9985609.Ye_Old_Man_and_Scythe___shock_closure/

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I read that about an hour ago - just a complete shocker and such a shame :-(

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

We used to hang around in there at lunchtime from college - that scrumpy they sold was lethal stuff - twigs, owl beaks and god knows what floating around in it.

They had a small room at the back where they started having strippers on at one time. The girl would strip naked, empty a big mound of talcum powder into some poor sucker's hands as if inviting him to rub it on, then scarper out of the room leaving him standing there like a mug.

They'll probably pull it down and build a Tesco Express in its place.
Ye Old Man and Scythe - shock closure! Theoldmanandscythebolton_1

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Isn't there quite a bit of history with Ye Old man and Scythe ? It should be a listed building.

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Yeah, I think there is a lot of history with it. I think it's the place that Fred Dibnah had his last pint in before they took him out to be executed or something like that.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here it is.

Ye Old Man and Scythe - shock closure! 2ibcl6f

A.D. 1251. Surely worth a preservation order?

It is a listed building and it has to be used as a public house, so imagine it will be open again sooner rather than later.

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

You can just make out one of the strippers in the upstairs window.

Numpty 28723 wrote:You can just make out one of the strippers in the upstairs window.

That's a ghost.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Numpty 28723 wrote:You can just make out one of the strippers in the upstairs window.

I think she is wearing a merkin.

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Reebok Trotter wrote:

I think she is wearing a merkin.

What the fcuk is a merkin? Anyway that's more likely to be Michaela Strachan than a ghost.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum