Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Time to change?

+9
Sluffy
observer
Cajunboy
Ten Bobsworth
Hip Priest
Natasha Whittam
okocha
wanderlust
Bolton Nuts
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Time to change?  Empty Time to change? Sat Oct 23 2021, 21:58

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Some people are calling for Evatts head. Some are calling for a change in the strategy. Evatt seems to want to leave it alone... What do you think is our down fall? And what are the solutions? 

After Gillingham, I wrote... 

So, at 2-0 down and Gillingham packing the defence, the game was ripe for a change. And finally Evatt did it. And you have to say, it worked.

3-5-2 for the last 15 or 20 mins saw us start to pummel them. Crosses were coming in. Corners were being won and our shot count was ticking up.

The goals felt like they were never going to come but they felt inevitable too. Plenty of poor sods left 10 mins before the end, and I don't pity them. They deserve to have missed the fun.

Aimson looked very good when he came in, and hardly anyone seemed to notice the swap. Then when we finally got the light weight Kachunga out of the picture things started to click (no offence Kachunga, I'm still hoping you come good). Bakayoko looked like a threat again and Delfonso finally got chance to get the cobwebs off his boots. And seemed to like it.

But the biggest difference was to push Isgrove and John forward as two wide men, a challenge John really did well with. And MJ Williams dropped super deep to be our third defender (slash very deep midfielder). MJ started spreading the ball around superbly and the presence of Bakayoko up front with Doyle meant that Gillingham didn't know how to cope. Afo came into the game more, working high up, just inside John.

It was great to see a plan B without dispensing with our pass and move philosophy. EVEN Doyle nearly scored. 

Up the whites.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

2Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Sat Oct 30 2021, 22:41

Bolton Nuts

Admin

After Pompey, and another defeat, I feel like I'm almost alone in banging the drum for Evatt. However I also think I am banging my head against a wall when I see that he won't change the system a bit sometimes (Gillingham excluded).

However, injury woes have us in their grip at the moment, captain Sarce disappeared overnight and some suspensions kicked in all at once.

Its meant we played several games with kids in both full back positions. Then a winger at right back. Our ever present captain suddenly left a gap in midfield. Bakayoko got injured again. Santos and Johnston are playing with injuries. Santos missed a match with suspension. Jones is out long term. And Amaechi has yet to feature due to injury. It all means that Evatt doesn't actually have much to work with.

And yet. We deserved to beat Sunderland, probably Sheffield Wednesday, and maybe even Gillingham last week. Pompey were saved by the wood work on three occasions today, and I can remember at least two other matches where the pundits and commentary teams simply could not fathom how we hadn't won.

As for saying we don't do anything with the possession, we actually have had the most shots in the whole division. And we have created many other changes that didn't result in shots (eg across the face of goal). 

You can't really say we are not in and around the realms of being a very decent side. I know it can be frustrating at times but please, at least see the building blocks. We have far more of a foundation to get somewhere with Evatt than with any manager since Allardyce. At least we have a team where we can see how a few tweaks could mean we are very decent.

When you look back over the last few seasons we endured long dark matches where we flunked random, jammy goals from aimless long balls, keepers who wouldn't roll the ball out to start an attack, no matter how much the crowd screamed, free kicks and corners which never, ever varied, players who could barely control the ball, rarely found a decent pass and almost never showed any real creative or inventive nous.

3Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Sun Oct 31 2021, 01:10

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The only problem we have is expectation management IMO.
Last season I was just happy we survived a close scrape with death and up until the new year it looked like we'd slip out of the league - and at that time I'd have preferred that to going out of business, so promotion was an incredible bonus.
This season I'll be happy with consolidation in this division despite us flattering to deceive at times and I think we'll do it.
The reality is that we probably have the core of a team that can do well at League 1 level but the squad is paper thin and as soon as we have a few injuries and suspensions to key players we are League 2 quality so there's still a lot of building to do.
And if we did get promoted what then? Buy an entirely new squad? On our budget?
We need to get real, see how where we are at the end of the season and then go again in the transfer market if we can.
Rejoice for we exist! And that puts us in with a chance of building a better future. Just not yet.

4Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Sun Oct 31 2021, 10:10

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Got to agree with Biggie and Lusty. Our promotion last year and encouraging start to this term raised fans' hopes to unrealistic levels. We have come a long way very quickly after avoiding the same fate as Bury. 
We are still building but we should be glad that this is being done steadily and not rashly in a way that might threaten our progress and survival now. Our finances are still fragile and we can't compete with the big spenders in terms of transfer fees and salaries.

I agree, though, that we need to look to move the ball forward more quickly at times and to vary the approach, as top clubs show us. However Evatt has got to have the right players that will allow this flexibility; it will take time; fans need to be patient and supportive.
 We have done very well to be where we stand today from such a diabolical base.

5Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Sun Oct 31 2021, 15:08

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Our finances are still fragile and we can't compete with the big spenders in terms of transfer fees and salaries.

Hardly any League 1 & 2 teams paid a transfer fee over the Summer, and while we may not be able to compete with Sunderland or Wigan in the salary department, I'm guessing we're paying more than Wycombe, Rotherham, Oxford, MK Dons, Accrington & Lincoln who are all above us in the table.

6Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Mon Nov 01 2021, 18:15

Bolton Nuts

Admin

The change on the pitch, from what we have available now comes from eliminating the problem at full back / defence. And this partly means more back up from midfield.

We don't have the correct cover to fix the full back issue so what we can do is bolster the defence as a whole and use the wing backs as the cover. 

...... Santos... Johnston... Aimson

Isgrove..............................................John
.............Lee......Mjwills.....Thomasson.... 
..............Bakayoko.....Afolayen

Strong bench of
Baptiste
Sheehan
Doyle
Delfonso

7Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Tue Nov 02 2021, 13:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:The change on the pitch, from what we have available now comes from eliminating the problem at full back / defence. And this partly means more back up from midfield.

We don't have the correct cover to fix the full back issue so what we can do is bolster the defence as a whole and use the wing backs as the cover. 

...... Santos... Johnston... Aimson

Isgrove..............................................John
.............Lee......Mjwills.....Thomasson.... 
..............Bakayoko.....Afolayen

Strong bench of
Baptiste
Sheehan
Doyle
Delfonso
Which was pretty much Evatt's plan when he arrived. Personally I agree he should consider returning to a back 3/5 now that we have 3 competent CBs and two up top makes sense - although from what we saw of Amaechi he didn't show a lot of defensive potential so when he's back Evatt will probably want the width.

8Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Wed Nov 03 2021, 01:27

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Evans in. Very definitely. Can't believe anyone could seriously want him out.

9Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Wed Nov 03 2021, 18:40

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Hip Priest wrote:Evans in. Very definitely. Can't believe anyone could seriously want him out.

10Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Thu Nov 04 2021, 15:09

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Hardly any League 1 & 2 teams paid a transfer fee over the Summer, and while we may not be able to compete with Sunderland or Wigan in the salary department, I'm guessing we're paying more than Wycombe, Rotherham, Oxford, MK Dons, Accrington & Lincoln who are all above us in the table.

I'd be guessing that a number of the clubs you mention have owners considerably wealthier than Sharon Brittan. I'm not blaming her but would you like to guess how much Sharon has spent so far?

11Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Thu Nov 04 2021, 16:19

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Do tell us Bob?

12Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Thu Nov 04 2021, 16:53

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Cajunboy wrote:Do tell us Bob?
Need to check a few things out first but all the indications are 'not a lot', if you are asking how much has Sharon spent. FV have borrowed quite a bit though.

13Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Thu Nov 04 2021, 17:49

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

14Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Tue Dec 07 2021, 22:12

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Definitely time for a change.

Does any Bolton fan really trust the manager to improve this squad? He should not be given any money in January. He signed these players, he should be made to work with them.

One of the reasons the club got in such a mess previously was the vicious circle of managers buying shite players, then having to spend more money to replace the crap they'd signed.

Don't do it Shazza.

15Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Tue Dec 07 2021, 22:31

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The thing that gets me is that we always concede first.

It's clearly not just a coincidence now.

If he's so clued up on his stats then he must know there's some sort of massive failing that needs to be addressed.

What's the point of setting out to play as we do if you are almost certain to let the other team have a goal start?

Seems obvious to me that we have to at least change our pattern of play at the beginning of games to a more conventional defence, then once both teams have settled in to the game then to play the more expansive game that Evatt likes to play.

We are hardly scoring goals for fun are we, so going one or maybe two down in say the first 20 minutes is as good as losing the game before we even reach half time.

I know we have had a bad run of injury's recently but conceding first has been going on long before that.

Seems obvious to me to revert back to a more traditional type of style (boot it up field rather than play out from the back) at least until we get to grips with the game, then play the tippy tappy stuff.

There's no harm in modifying the plan when you know that part of it is clearly not working as you would wish it to be.

16Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Wed Dec 08 2021, 08:06

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I mentioned the number of times we concede early on the match thread, it's now becoming a joke. The problem is the lack of a decent partner for Santos (who himself has been below his best). Johnston is very poor and Aimson not much better.

I know we have a lot of injuries but last night was a decent team he put out and we were well beaten. 

The only solace i can draw from it was that we were in a worse position this time last year and Evatt signed some decent players and turned it around. Let's hope he can do the same this January.

17Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Wed Dec 08 2021, 12:56

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The problem is that expectations were set to high - myself included. Survival in league one should be considered success for this season considering where we came from. Talk of back to back promotion is probably daft with the squad we have currently. We have had one window without the embargo and from what I can tell still have minimum funds.
Progress is being made although slower than most of us would like obviously.

18Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Wed Dec 08 2021, 13:31

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:The problem is that expectations were set to high - myself included. Survival in league one should be considered success for this season considering where we came from. Talk of back to back promotion is probably daft with the squad we have currently. We have had one window without the embargo and from what I can tell still have minimum funds.
Progress is being made although slower than most of us would like obviously.
Quite right. There is much to be positive about starting with the fact that we still exist.

Last night's performance was awful and we were given a lesson in how to pass and move quickly by a bunch of kids who created far more than we did, pressed better, showed far more energy and belief, and didn't overcomplicate matters with a slow ponderous approach.

Our lot looked tired, slow and lacking belief by comparison.

Perhaps that's because only two weeks ago, Fleetwood sacked their manager and Crainey made wholesale changes to the team bringing in 5 or 6 youth players desperate to prove themselves. New manager bounce and all that.

In normal weather conditions you'd expect our seasoned pros to have enough to quell their enthusiasm but it wasn't a night for attractive football and it suited them down to the ground.

So those are the excuses but there's still a lot to question about the manager's tactics and some of our player's performances.

Santos was an idiot and will be missing for a while. Aimson and John were ball watching. The midfield provided very few chances and when they did arrived they were missed.

Can't see us doing much this side of Xmas other than continuing to slide but we will have enough to stay up this season which is a result.

However I'd caution against making signings with a view to promotion this season. We need to build for the future so the thinking needs to be long term.

19Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Wed Dec 08 2021, 13:34

Natasha Whittam wrote:Definitely time for a change.

Does any Bolton fan really trust the manager to improve this squad? He should not be given any money in January. He signed these players, he should be made to work with them.

One of the reasons the club got in such a mess previously was the vicious circle of managers buying shite players, then having to spend more money to replace the crap they'd signed.

Don't do it Shazza.

Definitely trust him with players his transfer record is pretty good overall - I think we gambled at the start of the season on a number of players being able
to make the step up and getting through with a small squad. Neither has quite paid off i would say, and injuries to first team have been felt hard.

I think we need at least one centre back and a right back as well as cover in DM in case MJ gets injured again.

20Time to change?  Empty Re: Time to change? Wed Dec 08 2021, 14:20

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Definitely trust him with players his transfer record is pretty good overall - I think we gambled at the start of the season on a number of players being able to make the step up and getting through with a small squad. Neither has quite paid off i would say, and injuries to first team have been felt hard.

I think we need at least one centre back and a right back as well as cover in DM in case MJ gets injured again.

Have you watched us recently? Are you happy with the spirit and fight shown on the pitch? We are very easy to out-muscle.

This team needs a beating heart, his absolute number one priority when (sadly) he's given the green light to bring in more players is a leader, a captain, someone to bloody get stuck in.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum