Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'I feel really happy' - Declan John on finding stability with Wanderers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'I feel really happy' - Declan John on finding stability with Wanderers 13149936

Declan John says Wanderers have given him much-needed stability after an “up and down” career.

The Welshman arrived at the UniBol back in January, initially on a loan deal before making the move permanent over the summer.

John came through the ranks at Cardiff City and broke into the first-team in the 2013/14 campaign, making 20 Premier League appearances.

The defender has also earned seven caps for Wales, having made his international debut at the age of 18 under Chris Coleman.

But things didn’t work out for John at Cardiff and – following a spell at Rangers – he joined Swansea City in the summer of 2018.

The Welshman failed to make his mark with the Swans and found himself training with the Under-23 side before receiving a lifeline at Bolton.

“(The move) was massive,” he said. “I think it was in a completely different headspace in terms of just wanting to go in and train every day.

“I was training with the Under-23s for six months, I was training with 16 and 17-year-old kids.

“That wasn’t good for me at all, being out of the first team picture, but obviously when I had the phone call off the gaffer here, I just wanted to come and play games. That was the main thing.

“I can say that I feel settled now, which is something I haven’t been able to say at a lot of clubs I’ve played for.

“My career started right from the top and has gone down, and now back up. But yeah, I feel really happy and settled at the minute.”

John returned to the side against Gillingham last weekend following a spell on the sidelines with a groin injury.

Wanderers are back in League One action on Saturday afternoon when they head to Fratton Park to take on Danny Cowley’s Portsmouth.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum