Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt's press conference ahead of Morecambe clash

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt's press conference ahead of Morecambe clash 12803458

Ahead of this afternoon's clash with Morecambe at the Mazuma Stadium, here are the best bits from Ian Evatt’s press conference.

How is the squad shaping up ahead of Saturday’s trip to Morecambe?

“I think there’s one or two tired bodies but other than that, we’re okay. We’ve got a squad of players that are all chomping at the bit and ready to play and make an impression, especially the new ones, so we’ve got decisions to make.

“We’ll take each game as it comes really and see the opponents, see strengths and weaknesses, and pick a team accordingly.”

Another strong away following is expected on Saturday. What’s your message to the fans?

“The most important thing is that our fans are proud of their team. We are starting to build that again and I think they can see what we are trying to build.

“I hope they are pleased with the business we have done in January and so we have to keep on picking up those wins, see where it takes us.

“The first thing I spoke about with Sharon when I came to the club was trying to reconnect with the fans, building trust.

“I think we did that last season even though they weren’t allowed in, we saw it with the scenes outside the stadium after we’d got promotion.

“We started this season exactly the same and, yes, there was a wobble. Fans have been rightly frustrated at times but in the last few weeks we have seen it build again.

“There is nothing like a last-minute winner away from home, so Shrewsbury was a great moment and I’d like to think we can give our away fans more of them this season.”

Morale must be high in the dressing room on the back of recent results?

“I think confidence comes off the back of positive results. I think obviously the players and the existing players seeing new players turn up into the building with the ability that they’ve got and then the training levels go up.

“In turn, that raises and lifts everybody and raises their own performance. I think that’s happened. I think returning players, such as Gethin has had a huge impact on the team.

“It’s a mixture of all of the above really. We’re pleased with where we are at but for us and Bolton Wanderers and where I want to take this club, mid-table isn’t enough. It’s not.

“We don’t want to be mid-table. We want to keep working hard and finish as high as we possibly can. There’s still a lot of points to play for.”

How important is it to get the first goal in games?

“When you look at our record on scoring first, there is a big difference. It will come down to mindset and I would like to think that with what we have got in the building now, the characters, we have enough to deal with those situations and have the right personality to come back.

“It is inevitable that we will concede one at some stage and when it does we will have to react in the correct manner and have the belief we can hurt any team.

“I was really pleased with the first half performance on Tuesday, it almost got a smile. There were lots of really good things there, our speed and technical play was excellent.”

What will Kyle Dempsey bring to the team?

“Energy, legs, experience. He’s a good character, a leader, a goalscoring midfield player. He ticks a lot of boxes so we’re really pleased with him, really pleased to get him.

“We’re delighted with him. We’re delighted with all the new ones – they’ve settled in really well and been made to feel welcome.

“They’re all, not in awe, but they’re all delighted to be here. The facilities we’ve got, the welcome they’ve had from the fans and from the players, the level and intensity of training, they way we play.

“Walking off the pitch on Tuesday, Kieran Sadlier said, ‘Wow! This is how I want to play, this is so enjoyable’.

"Kyle Dempsey said to Chris Markham at half time, ‘get me on that pitch, this is how football should be played’.

“So yeah, they’ve really bought into what we’re trying to do. We’re looking forward to having them and seeing what they can do for us.”

What do you make of the situation at your former club Derby County?

“It’s a tragedy really. We’ve been through it here and we just hope that somebody will save them.

“I spent many years there – from 10 years old to 21 – and met a lot of good people. A fantastic football club.

“(They are) very well supported and need someone to take it on. But it has to be someone with the right vision for that club.

“It can be fantastic, but there aren’t many Sharon Brittans around and it just shows you how fortunate we are.”

And what about the job Wayne Rooney has done there?

“Wayne has been incredible. The way he’s conducted himself and managed to get points with very little resources shows what he’s capable of as a young manager.

“This industry can be a toxic place and a poisonous place – it’s very much about self-preservation. There’s not much loyalty in this game.

“But it just shows you when there is loyalty, it can really pay off and I think Wayne’s been really loyal to Derby. I hope he manages to keep them in the league – he deserves that.

“Loyalty can be really rewarding and we’ve got that in spades here with our owner and the ownership group, and the way our staff conduct themselves. It’s fantastic so long may that continue.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum