Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cressida Dick steps down

+2
Cajunboy
okocha
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cressida Dick steps down Empty Cressida Dick steps down Thu Feb 10 2022, 19:08

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

2Cressida Dick steps down Empty Re: Cressida Dick steps down Thu Feb 10 2022, 21:19

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Some good news at last!!!

3Cressida Dick steps down Empty Re: Cressida Dick steps down Thu Feb 10 2022, 21:26

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

4Cressida Dick steps down Empty Re: Cressida Dick steps down Fri Feb 11 2022, 00:59

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The MET has been shown up to be institutionally racist, sexist, homophobic, vindictive and generally corrupt in a number of investigations recently so their profile is at rock bottom. Sadiq Khan said that the MET needs strong leadership to resolve the problems but I really think that's just window dressing. What the MET really needs is a root and branch clear out, extensive disciplinary action, a robust and ongoing training system, better recruitment, an improved monitoring system, ongoing psych evaluation, anonymity in reporting colleagues and independent police commissioners if they are ever going to address the entrenched cultural issues.
It's very much in their interest to grasp the nettle if they want to be trusted by the public and improve their recruitment.

5Cressida Dick steps down Empty Re: Cressida Dick steps down Fri Feb 11 2022, 06:34

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

They need to be properly funded. 

Those of you who have read or are watching the wonderful "This is Going to Hurt" can see how underfunding in the NHS is causing similar havoc and a shortfall in effectiveness.

Unbearable strain on staff will mean that more will leave than can be recruited.

6Cressida Dick steps down Empty Re: Cressida Dick steps down Fri Feb 11 2022, 08:15

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

She should have gone much sooner, how many scandals has there been with her in charge?

7Cressida Dick steps down Empty Re: Cressida Dick steps down Fri Feb 11 2022, 11:12

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

If she’d have spent more time improving real policing measures rather than on inclusivity, diversity and so called hate crime, we might have seen a more effective police force. The very nature of crime in this country has been radically changing for numerous social and cultural reasons which have not been properly addressed. The problem comes when replacing her as most if not all of the natural replacements are probably just clones of CD. Bringing someone in from the outside, not tainted with the issues, may seem a good call but whoever it is needs to be a time served individual who understands the way the police force and bobbies work. Maybe there’s someone in another force who would be strong enough to make the necessary changes but whoever it is must be prepared to accept and overcome the likely internal resistance they’ll encounter. Good luck to whoever gets the poisoned chalice!!

8Cressida Dick steps down Empty Re: Cressida Dick steps down Fri Feb 11 2022, 11:45

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:If she’d have spent more time improving real policing measures rather than on inclusivity, diversity and so called hate crime, we might have seen a more effective police force. The very nature of crime in this country has been radically changing for numerous social and cultural reasons which have not been properly addressed. The problem comes when replacing her as most if not all of the natural replacements are probably just clones of CD. Bringing someone in from the outside, not tainted with the issues, may seem a good call but whoever it is needs to be a time served individual who understands the way the police force and bobbies work. Maybe there’s someone in another force who would be strong enough to make the necessary changes but whoever it is must be prepared to accept and overcome the likely internal resistance they’ll encounter. Good luck to whoever gets the poisoned chalice!!
I think  "the way the police force and bobbies work" IS the problem - and that has been borne out by the investigations.
Bringing in another copper who is sympathetic to the culture will if anything, retard progress. That's what they've always done and we get what we've always got. Anyway, changing the "face" of the system will have very little impact in the parts of the force where the problems lie.
The police force culture has developed out of an environment where coppers feel insecure and undervalued and whilst it is necessary to have an understanding of the pressures they face, a much more radical and far-reaching solution is required than simply changing the face if the culture within the organisation itself is to be rectified so that the force can regain the respect and perception of impartiality it once had.
Difficult job,and as Okocha points out, needs to be rewarded better - but until the racism, sexism and homophobia is completely stamped out - and that's both internally and externally - nothing will change.
FWIW I play footie with a couple of coppers and they tell me that they are recruiting well in our largely rural area - but their recruits are young. One 24 year old told me he is the secondmost senior cop in his division which covers an area the size of Bolton!
Still, if they are attracting young people maybe eventually the culture will change but I suspect predominantly urban/inner city areas will struggle more.
And they have to improve diversity in recruitment to reflect our society better.
Huge job ahead but I reckon sacking Caressa Dick won't make much difference.

9Cressida Dick steps down Empty Re: Cressida Dick steps down Fri Feb 11 2022, 22:28

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It’s a difficult one Lusty because the days of the stereotypical “copper” are long gone. The job is clearly completely different and I’d say more difficult with all the crap they have to put up with now. I’m afraid the respect declined when the fear of them declined and why anyone would want to join the police now I just don’t know. You watch the TV programmes where they are abused and ridiculed by toe rags who even when charged face little or no real penalties. For the Met dealing with serious criminals, it must be even more difficult and frustrating. How do we resolve it in todays ever increasing woke and PC landscape, I just don’t know, I’m sad to say that I don’t think we can. There are too many groups just looking to find opportunities to criticise them and a society that lets them and a media that can’t seem to criticise that climate. I don’t believe anyone can change the Met, whoever comes in because the problems go so deep in so many ways. I’m sure the huge majority of bobbies are genuinely decent and conscientious individuals who want to do a good job but sadly these few bad apples cast a shadow over all of them.

10Cressida Dick steps down Empty Re: Cressida Dick steps down Sat Feb 12 2022, 01:57

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The way I see it is that they are appointed to keep the law of the land - whatever that law is. The problem is that they have been found to have broken the law both in terms of employment law - e.g. treatment of female, gay and ethnic minority colleagues - and in the way they generally enforce the law in the general public which has long known to be "selective" in their application and interpretation of it.
The solution is simple. Learn the law, behave in accordance with the law and apply the law equally to all people regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, sexuality, social standing, profession, mental capacity or wealth.

Do that and they will be and be seen to be worthy of the respect they once enjoyed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum